ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Cable Designations?? - 11/08/03 11:15 AM
With Ragnar posting the topic of NYIF cable.
This has got me thinking, just how many cable codes are there out there, that some of of us have no idea what they mean.
Some of the US ones are a wee-bit mysterious too!. [Linked Image]
Please feel free to post all of the cable designations that you can think of, US or otherwise!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Cable Designations?? - 11/08/03 11:29 AM
This is certainly one area where a variety of systems are in use. CENELEC decided to introduce a "harmonized" coding system for Europe, so that's added yet another system to the list!

[Linked Image]

European "Harmonised" Cable Back to the top CENELEC publications HD-21 and HD-22 outline construction of PVC jacketed and rubber-jacketed cable respectively.

HD-21 recommendations for PVC jacketed cable:

H05VV-F…(rated 300/500V): Ordinary PVC sheathed flexible cable for use in offices, domestic premises, kitchens, for medium duties, i.e., washing machines, spin dryers, refrigerators. Permitted for cooking and heating appliances, providing that cable is not in contact with hot parts and is not subject to radiation, etc. (NOT suitable for outdoor use.)

HD-22 recommendations for rubber jacketed cable:

H05RN-F…(rated 300/500V): This is flexible rubber insulated cable intended for connecting lightweight hand and portable equipment subjected to low mechanical stresses in an open air environment, e.g., as connection leads for outdoor appliances, and in workshops. Not suited for use in agricultural applications or where there is risk of fire or explosion.

H07R-F…(rated 450/750V): This is flexible rubber insulated cable for products subjected to medium mechanical stresses in dry and damp places. Use as supply leads for transportable motors, appliances, hand-held lamps, electric tools and machines on building sites, in agricultural use, workshops, and utility water equipment. Permissible for installation on plaster and direct installation on structural parts of hoists and other heavy machines.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Cable Designations?? - 11/08/03 11:38 AM
Thanks for that Paul!.
Oddly enough all of our cables regardless of type and materials are required to be 600/1000V.
Is there such a thing as Heat-Resistant(90 degree) Flex in the UK?.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Cable Designations?? - 11/08/03 03:28 PM
Yes. It's used for connecting an immersion heater to its outlet box and in similar situations.
Posted By: djk Re: Cable Designations?? - 11/08/03 11:25 PM
There's a really heavy version available for hooking up ovens here.
Posted By: crash Re: Cable Designations?? - 11/09/03 06:15 AM
In Canada cable designations and there use are listed in table 11 (for flexible) and table 19 (for other than flexible). The designations don't follow a pattern like the cenelec harmonised system. However since there is probably alot of cross border trading, the designations in this table are probably similar too, if not, identicle to whats available in the states. Conditions of use might vary slightly.
Posted By: crash Re: Cable Designations?? - 11/09/03 06:18 AM
As a side point, instead of using the term romex , we use the term loomex.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Cable Designations?? - 11/09/03 10:36 AM
I think the first letter in the commonly used German cable designations refers to the outer sheath (i. e. either N for non-metallic or nothing at all), the following letters offer a further descriptions. YM is conduit wire, NYM is the very same stuff with an outer sheath, NYIF is the famous "zip Romex". YE is conduit grounding wire. For flexible cords most people seem to use the international designations, but here in Austria there's one exception. YZWL is zip cord. (ZWL standing for Zwillingsleitung, twin cord). That's about all I know about those designations. Yeah, and a suffix -J or -O refers to with or without grounding conductor.
Posted By: djk Re: Cable Designations?? - 11/09/03 11:58 AM
Zip cord's something which you never really see around here anymore. It used to be quite common place on things like clocks with crimped on Europlugs back in the late 1970s and even on audio equipment.

It's something I've only seen on US appliences in recent years.
Posted By: Belgian Re: Cable Designations?? - 11/09/03 02:24 PM
I wonder if there is any country using the new "harmonised" CENELEC coding system? By using it, I mean when you go to by a cable will any electrician use the Harmonised term (H05VV-F....) or the national term?

[This message has been edited by Belgian (edited 11-09-2003).]
Posted By: C-H Re: Cable Designations?? - 11/09/03 04:48 PM
Well, the Cenelec designations are so long!

The part Paul posted is the short version. In addition to H (Harmonised) there are N (National) types. (I think the letter A is going to be phased out.)

In addition to the 03, 05 and 07 voltage ratings there is also a 1 (600/1000V) class. (In case you wonder, 10 is the 7000/12000V class. Not for your average bedside lamp [Linked Image] )

If you want to confuse things further, you can use SE-, DE- etc. ahead of the designation to indicate that it's the Swedish or the German national version.

E.g.

PT-N05VV-U means a Portugise 300/500V, PVC insulated, PVC sheated cable with solid copper conductors.

while

SE-N07VA5EV-R means a Swedish 450/750V, PVC insulated, Aluminium shielded (A5), PE covered, PVC sheated cable with stranded copper conductors.

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 11-09-2003).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Cable Designations?? - 11/09/03 08:09 PM
I certainly don't ask for cable with the new designations.

Most supply houses here use the British codes, such as 6242Y, which is standard flat "twin & earth" cable.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Cable Designations?? - 11/10/03 06:23 AM
Good point Paul,
I certainly don't ask for cable with the new designations.
If you started asking for cable in that manner over here, you'd get laughed out of the Wholesalers. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Cable Designations?? - 11/10/03 12:51 PM
They still sell zip cord here, but it wasn't used much for at least 20 years, mostly for botched repairs and cheap speaker wiring. Nowadays the reels carry a note saying: 42V max!, so it's only for use with SELV. The most common 2conductor replacement cord is the round double-sheathed one. Flat double-sheathed (NISPT) is pretty hard to get by, only with a molded-on Euro plug and in most cases a cord switch.
© ECN Electrical Forums