ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Simple Fault-finding Techniques? - 08/11/03 08:37 AM
Guys,
I'm looking for a wee bit of advice.
See, I have been asked to write the Draft for a Simple Fault-Finding Book in the form of a Credit Card sized concertina-like thing.
This is to train new Faults-workers in the future as to simple fault-finding techniques,these people will come from an Electrical background, but unfortunately, they will not have come from a Lines staff background, like myself.
I don't like this idea at all, but rather than "Poo-Poo" the idea, I have looked upon this as a chance to upgrade the skills of all that are involved in this sort of work.
Now, I realise that I may be the only Faultsman or Liney(with the exception of Bjarney) at ECN.
What would you people, with your collective knowledge, say should be included in this Booklet?.
Please bear in mind that we use a TN-C-S system here.
The reason I ask this, is because, while I can submit things like Phasing Out tests, Polarity and so forth, I have drawn a blank writers block.
Can you guys please help?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Simple Fault-finding Techniques? - 08/11/03 10:50 AM
What sort of fault-finding needs to be included?

For basic LV linework, I'm guessing you'd want to cover things such as:

1. Owner reports no power at all in house.
2. Flickering or dim lights.
3. Fuses keep blowing/Breaker keeps tripping.
4. Visible or audible arcing/smoking.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Simple Fault-finding Techniques? - 08/13/03 05:48 AM
Yeah,
Thanks for that Paul.
I was given the brief of "Don't make it too technical!".
Us faults workers aren't rocket scientists, but having a brief like that, is like teaching someone to tell the time, as in
"When the little hand is on the 3.......".
What I mean is, are we teaching wannabe Faults staff here or is there an ulterior motive to this?.
These staff members will be required to do all of the same types of LV and HV fault-finding that us trained Lines staff are currently required to do and for a lower rate of pay than us (so I am told anyway).
Just want to make sure that they have the same level of safety that us guys do!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: PaulCornwall Re: Simple Fault-finding Techniques? - 08/13/03 07:10 PM
going to be a big pull out credit card thingy!!!!

unfortunatley fault finding is something up learn by experiance

good luck
Posted By: pauluk Re: Simple Fault-finding Techniques? - 08/13/03 11:20 PM
This sounds like one of those projects that ends up being passed around from dept. to dept. like a grenade with the pin pulled out!

Just how much basic electrical knowledge are we to assume that the user of this guide will possess?
© ECN Electrical Forums