ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Tools? - 01/24/03 06:14 AM
How do you normally carry your tools around a
worksite?.
Would it be with a tooltray or toolbelt, or even a full toolbox?.
I am speaking in terms of when you are away from your work vehicle.
Please feel free to put your 2 cents worth
in- [Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Tools? - 01/24/03 11:32 AM
The typical sparky here carries around a leather toolbox all the time. It has nearly become a cliche. Size is maybe 40 wide, 30 high and 15 deep, lid on the top, all sorts of tools neatly arranged inside. Either leather or imitation, always black, always looks the same.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Tools? - 01/25/03 03:38 AM
Texas,
Leather,Eh?.
What would we do without it?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Tools? - 01/25/03 11:48 AM
I use a combination a different toolboxes: A metal toolbox with the "big stuff" in the bottom and screwdrivers, pliers, etc. in trays on the top is my general workhorse.

I use a leather toolbelt sometimes, but as much of the wiring here involves crawling through miserable attics it's not always very practical, so it often gets left off.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Tools? - 02/01/03 04:02 AM
I actually have 3 types of gear that I use to get the job done.
A normal Electricians toolbelt, for most of my work, + Duspols+ Fluke T5-1000
A Line Mechanics toolbelt, holding a set of linemans pliers, Cable Cutters, two 14" crescents(both 1000V insulated), Live Gloves,
and a pair of Slip-Joint pliers(for tightening Wire-Nuts).
A tool box holding all sorts of tools, that are used sometimes, these being, a Ratchet Crimp Tool for Insulated Crimp connectors,
and various other tools.
One Toolbox, for all of my Electronics gear,
An Anti-static Strap+ Mat, a Soldering Iron,
a Solder Sucker(Anti-Static Tip),Solder-Wick
x2, Rework Pen, set of Precision Screwdrivers(Long reach)
Posted By: old Appy Re: Tools? - 02/01/03 08:16 AM
20 litre plastic paint bucket most of the time, or when i have to, my old soft leather tool belt,
"Old Appy" is no longer a "Appy" have passed Trade and Regs and will get Registration and Licence this April coming,
HAPPY OLD APPY!!
Posted By: txsparky Re: Tools? - 02/01/03 12:27 PM
Congratulations!Will there be a name change to NEW SPARKY ?
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Tools? - 02/03/03 02:41 AM
Craig,
Congratulations,mate!.
You'll be pleased about that one. [Linked Image]
Posted By: lighthouse Re: Tools? - 02/03/03 03:55 AM
Trumpy...a pair of Slip-Joint pliers(for tightening Wire-Nuts).

orange wirenuts too [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Tools? - 02/03/03 04:24 AM
Lighthouse,
Just what do you mean by that!. [Linked Image]
A wire-nut over here in NZ, is used by Lineys, to join wires of quite large size.
It could also be called a slotted bolt+ castleated nut, arrangement.
Hey, it's not my fault the terms crossover. [Linked Image]
I am not taking you to task over this, mate, just a bit of fun!.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 02-02-2003).]
Posted By: lighthouse Re: Tools? - 02/03/03 04:58 AM
Trumpy ....are you talking about these wire nuts..... [Linked Image] just kidding too...

http://www.panduiteeg.com/products/tinplated_splitbolts.asp

[This message has been edited by lighthouse (edited 02-02-2003).]
Posted By: old Appy Re: Tools? - 02/03/03 06:48 AM
Oh Yes Sireeee am most pleased indeed
Thanks
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Tools? - 02/05/03 05:04 AM
Lighthouse,
You're the Man!.
You found what I couldn't.
So it's a Split-Bolt,
Thanks, mate.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Tools? - 02/06/03 12:05 AM
"Old Appy" is no longer a "Appy" have passed Trade and Regs and will get Registration and Licence this April coming,
HAPPY OLD APPY!!

CONGRATULATIONS! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Tools? - 02/16/03 05:04 AM
Interesting though Paul,
Appy, never made a real slip-up like me,
considering that I am qualified and Craig wasn't.
I am talking ECN-wise.
But, Craig, are you looking to carry on to Level 5?, I done the Advanced Trade, after the Trade Cert Exams, if you want to do a wee bit of extra study, its well worth it, mate, with all sorts of Electronics and other Power Controls stuff, it really helps your day to day work. [Linked Image]
Who do you work for Craig?, just interested?,
With respect to L5, it's a real shame to turn down work, because you don't know how it works, re: Electronics stuff. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 02-16-2003).]
Posted By: old Appy Re: Tools? - 02/16/03 07:21 AM
I sort of got the study bug, there was only a 32% pass rate on the trade exam this year, so it would appear i must have been listening while asleep at school way back when, I am thinking of going back to school as a teacher for the last term of this year, but will see what happens, i do plan to carrying on with study but have to knuckle down and earn some money for a while. these adult apprenticeships are expensive.
I contract Trumpy, have done for about 4 years it was a condition of my apprenticeship that i only work for the 1 contractor for the duration. He and I have worked together for about 14 years now, previously we installed alarms, CCTV and Access control systems for a large nation wide company, there are 8 of us now so sort of get the pick of the work most of the time or stuck on the long winded projects 6 - 12 months sort of thing, or my favourite Renovations i realy enjoy those
cheers Craig
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Tools? - 02/18/03 06:20 AM
32%?
Am I hearing [Linked Image], you right?
That seems awfully low for a Trade Exam?.
Why so low?.
I also do a majority of Contract work too,
although in different areas than you,
as a sideline, I can't stand Renovations or New houses, too much pressure, to get the damned things finished.
One thing I do really hate, about this whole thing is Quoting, Are you too cheap, Are you too dear?.
How do you feel about quoting?.
Posted By: old Appy Re: Tools? - 02/18/03 09:10 AM
Low for sure, who knows why. i studied the last 5 years previous exams prior to sitting in November, and that exam was way different to anything i had seen, it really threw me at the time. Regs was a cake walk, rather do that one, than the new one based on 2000/3000.
We probably are to cheap but we all seem to be making a living, I get really pi$$ed off at the way sparkys continually under cut each other
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Tools? - 02/19/03 06:12 AM
Hear you there Appy,
You look at things like New Houses, it is so cut-throat, down here, that we can't even compete, one guy I know (a sparky), charges himself out at NZ$22 per hour, he's a sole trader, too!, he works in quantity, not quality.
I went in to fix up one of the jobs that he done, later on, it was a shocker, not a single Pin Clip in the house, the smallest holes were drilled, to allow passage of (his)
cables, only.
It was a nightmare, to say the least.
And I was audited for the job, seems, I put the last COC in for that house. [Linked Image]
Posted By: old Appy Re: Tools? - 02/19/03 08:20 AM
Work at any cost is no good he could do better on wages with a Co truck or van, he will learn.
Make sure you nail the wholesalers down to the best price you can. Cable prices change with oil prices,and shift up regular but never down, Noticed the price hike in RCD-MCB's now we have to use them?

CW
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Tools? - 02/20/03 06:32 AM
Appy,
This guy has been doing this sort of stuff for years, he has less years in Trade experience than me.
Re the price hike on RCD's, we used to get them, from the wholesaler at NZ$66, now they are NZ$77(1pole+N), what is your price in Auckland for a 3pole+N RCD?.
We are still trying to explain why these things are needed, how are you going at your end of the country, with these RCD's?. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums