ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Worst Electrical Offence? - 01/14/03 06:48 AM
What in your opinion, would constitute, the
worst ever Electrical Non-Compliance or
Negligence, in your eyes?
Lack of Earthing, etc, you decide, but at least put you 2 cents worth in-
Posted By: C-H Re: Worst Electrical Offence? - 01/14/03 07:53 AM
The worst I can imagine - and I can only imagine it as I've seen it - is a panel backfed via a randomize timer. Then disconnecting and checking doesn't protect you from electrocution.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Worst Electrical Offence? - 01/15/03 08:38 PM
Hard to choose.

Incorrect wiring on a generator transfer would get a vote as bad. Accidentally back-feed into the service and you could put 11kV on a supposedly isolated transformer.

As an ex-telephone engineer, I'd also have to vote for hazardous wiring that risks putting 240V mains (or worse) onto any telephone line. It's not a pleasant surprise!
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Worst Electrical Offence? - 01/16/03 06:05 AM
Paul,
I know what you mean, with respect to the Back-Feed, I was nearly killed when working on supposedly isolated 33kv lines and these in turn fed 400V lines below them(via the Xformer), but there was another trannie about 2km down the road, that was still live and it also fed the same lines.
Should have been wearing Live gloves, though,
I take my hat off to my mate, if not for him,
I wouldn't be typing this. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Worst Electrical Offence? - 01/16/03 05:03 PM
Scary stuff, eh?! [Linked Image]

The possibility of a back feed is another reason for always clamping grounding sticks onto the lines after they've been de-energized.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Worst Electrical Offence? - 01/25/03 05:14 AM
C-H,
What is a randomize timer?.
Just interested. [Linked Image]
Posted By: C-H Re: Worst Electrical Offence? - 01/26/03 01:58 PM
What I meant was simply a timer that goes on and off at random intervals. Typically connected to the lights to scare off burglars. I don't even know what it's called in Swedish... The word randomize came to mind as it's used in computer programming, but it might be wrong here. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Worst Electrical Offence? - 01/28/03 05:32 AM
C-H,
I'm with you now.
That's a pretty cool term there. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Worst Electrical Offence? - 02/14/03 06:17 AM
Just want to say, I would put down at the top of my list, Electricians who are either rude or un-tactful towards customers.
Secondly, I would say, Electricians who over-
charge customers, not because they(the customers), are annoying or so forth, but because they don't know any better, normally
these are Elderly people, who live alone.
Let's get one thing straight here, I am not a Robin Hood type person, who stands up for the Poor and the Elderly, but I am sick of hearing stories of people being ripped off by ruthless trades-people(not just sparkies though!).
Posted By: old Appy Re: Worst Electrical Offence? - 02/14/03 06:27 AM
Oh heck Im rude according to everyone i work with!
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Worst Electrical Offence? - 02/14/03 06:41 AM
The manufacturer of bad circuit breakers (FPE stab locks)?
The idea that a large percentage of these
can fail to trip on overloads is
scary. (around 15% failure rate if I
recall correctly).
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: Worst Electrical Offence? - 02/14/03 07:36 AM
ahh # 1 item is back feed thru le lines with generators that is my worst swering ( sorry i cant swear in here both french et english) [Linked Image]

# 2 dealt with mean comuster whom dont understand our codes when i have to repair it to get on the code and somehow they swear at me i keep my cool head and show the code book and some how some back off but few other think that is nuts ( instend of say BS )

merci marc
© ECN Electrical Forums