ECN Forum
Posted By: Yellowmist Any ideas please - 11/29/02 06:31 PM
I have a problem. I have extended a friends downstairs ring to accomodate a kitchen extension, in the kitchen there are now 4 new 2-gang sockets, 2 are spurs the other 2 being on the ring. A new fridge/freezer keeps popping it's fuse in all of the new sockets, but not any existing sockets, whereas any other appliance runs fine in any socket.........is it just me, or is the brand new fridge knackered......
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Any ideas please - 11/29/02 08:10 PM
Only the freezer? have you tried any high-power appliances on these outlets? If other heavy loads also trip the breaker I'd think of a neutral fault. If there's enough current flowing in the neutral the fuse trips.
Just my 2 cents
Posted By: pauluk Re: Any ideas please - 11/29/02 11:20 PM
Hi Yellowmist,

As Ranger has asked, have you tried reasonably high powered appliances in the new outlets, such as an electric kettle?

What fuse is actually blowing? The cartridge fuse in the freezer's plug, the fuse (or MCB) for the ring, or is a main RCD tripping?
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Any ideas please - 11/30/02 03:10 AM
Welcome to ECN, YellowMist,
For a start, I would not discount the
Compressor in the fridge, having seized either, even though the appliance is new, does not mean a thing.
We replace heaps of siezed Compressors, in fridges that are only a week or two old. [Linked Image]
This will definitely blow any fuse that supplies the unit.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Any ideas please - 11/30/02 11:43 AM
>We replace heaps of siezed Compressors, in fridges that are only a week or two old.
This will definitely blow any fuse that supplies the unit.

It will, but on ALL receptacles, no matter where it is hooked up! As I already said, this seems to be a fault in the wiring that only appears under load conditions - hence my guess about the neutral.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Any ideas please - 11/30/02 04:41 PM
I agree with Ranger. Why would a jammed compressor result in blown fuses only when plugged into the new outlets? I assume also from Yellowmist's original post that the freezer runs fine when connected to the old wiring.

If there's enough current flowing in the neutral the fuse trips.
Not quite, because we don't have fuses or MCBs in the neutral here (if the wiring is done correctly of course!).

I asked whether the problem is actually a tripping RCD because I'm wondering if there's a neutral-earth short or a reversal of neutral-earth somewhere.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Any ideas please - 11/30/02 05:55 PM
Forgot that, RCD is more likely, you're right. I was rather thinking along the lines of an RCD breaker (combo unit).

[This message has been edited by Texas_Ranger (edited 11-30-2002).]
Posted By: Yellowmist Re: Any ideas please - 12/01/02 04:17 PM
Many thanks for the response guys, very helpful.
Heres the outcome.
Intially when i was called, i was told that the fuse in the freezer plug was blowing, so i go round (foolishly without any meters.
I plug the freezer into an existing socket, and you can hear the compressor kick in. Plug into a new socket........nothing.
Everything else works, kettle etc.....
Rub my head and go back the next day with a meter.......it turns out none of the fuses had blown at all, just that when i plugged into an old socket the compressor kicked in, but, the compressor does not run constantly does it, so by the time i unplug from an old socket and plug back into a new socket, the compressor didn't kick in at all.........if only i had opened the bloody door and seen that the light was working.........i'd of saved myself a load of time.........and saved myself looking like a fool when i couldn't give any reasons as to what was happening........
Thanks again anyway to all who responded......at least i've found a good site where i can get all my potential questions answered................cheers
Posted By: j a harrison Re: Any ideas please - 12/01/02 06:25 PM
welcom Yellomist from one electrician to another, did you not check the status of your new wiring before plugging anything into it ?

I gather from your terminology that you are and electrician working in the UK ?

If you are did you not do a Megger test/Loop test to ensure everything was working fine.

if you had (or did) the appliance problem would have not come up, well it might not have, also did you know that it is reccommended that if you move a fridge or a freezer that when you move it back you should leave it to settle for 24 hours before plugging it back in, ( a friend gave me this bit of information as he is in that feild of work)

Well i am glad you found the fault, and ahain welcom to ECN, check out a few of the other postings there are some dangerous people playing with our trade out there.

John H
© ECN Electrical Forums