ECN Forum
Posted By: C-H One universal plug ??? - 11/25/02 10:03 PM
http://www.fenrir.com/free_stuff/columns/webb/webb-072.htm
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: One universal plug ??? - 11/25/02 10:39 PM
Sure!

It can be done. In fact, it already exists.

How about this one and its female couterpart?

[Linked Image from panelcomponents.com]
Posted By: Format_C: Re: One universal plug ??? - 11/26/02 03:19 AM
looks like the plug on the back of my computer
Posted By: Trumpy Re: One universal plug ??? - 11/26/02 06:26 AM
This is an IEC panel-mount socket,
the pins of this are not allowed to be livened. [Linked Image]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: One universal plug ??? - 11/26/02 02:54 PM
Correct, but there is also a female version that is used on some computers to power the monitor. I searched around more and found a picture of the female version.

[Linked Image from panelcomponents.com]

The benefit of these is that the slots are tiny and all the contacts are shrouded - so by the time the contacts touch, the entire thing is covered in plastic. All we would need is for someone to develop a shuttering mechanism.

Would be great for extension cords...
Posted By: classicsat Re: One universal plug ??? - 11/26/02 04:18 PM
The downside, of course, is that as a travelled person, you would have a collection
of linecords from varios locales around the globe, and some appliances are just not suited to that sort of connector, however
you could use the two pin variety, commonly use on port, an plauing musical detachable linecords is easier than playing detachable plug.

My solution (especially for places like the UK with clumsy fused plugs), would be to use plug adaptors that would fix to the wall outlet or appliance plug.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: One universal plug ??? - 11/26/02 07:46 PM
A slang term for these in the US is "IEC 320" connector, but properly IEC320 covers several sizes/ampere ratings. More correctly, the usual size in the US is 10-amp "C13" [female] and "C14" [male].
http://www.accesscomms.com.au/iec320.htm
http://www.ul.com/av/pag16.html

They are likely the closest thing to an (international) universal appliance/equipment AC-power plug there will ever be. Having switchmode supplies with wide-range input voltage [~100-240V] has probably helped their popularity too.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 11-26-2002).]
Posted By: Hutch Re: One universal plug ??? - 11/26/02 08:27 PM
SvenNYC said ...

"Would be great for extension cords..."

They were the in-line connector on the extension cord for my electric mower and weed-eater in RSA though the centre earth slot was filled in on the socket - both double-insulated and no earth.
Posted By: pauluk Re: One universal plug ??? - 11/26/02 09:06 PM
The problem with trying to introduce a universal standard is that somebody, or in this case a great many people, would have to change from their existing standard to the new one.

Just think how much different electrical devices might be if we could start afresh with a worldwide standard for power connectors/voltages, a single standard for TV, a single standard telephone connector, and so on.

Re the IEC equipment connectors, it just occurred to me that in many countries (e.g. the U.K.) a lot of fuss is made about having shutters on wall receptacles, yet they don't seem to object to these non-shuttered trailing sockets on power cords.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: One universal plug ??? - 11/28/02 06:37 AM
Paul, I saw in the Radio Spares catalouge
a device that has a system of flexes coming out of it, up to twelve, I think, for use in Commercial Installations, does a flex supply this?, or is it hard wired to say, a
2.5mm2.
Your thoughts, please.
Posted By: pauluk Re: One universal plug ??? - 11/28/02 11:28 AM
Not sure which device you're talking about. I have a set of RS catalogs here -- Do you have their part number for this?
Posted By: C-H Re: One universal plug ??? - 11/29/02 04:59 PM

Re the IEC equipment connectors, it just occurred to me that in many countries (e.g. the U.K.) a lot of fuss is made about having shutters on wall receptacles, yet they don't seem to object to these non-shuttered trailing sockets on power cords.

I'm surprised that they are allowed to lack shutters. Imagine a small child putting it in his or her mouth! It's a even easier and more natural than poking something into a wall socket.

Direct contact with line
Very wet ==> very low resistance
Central part of head ==> current through heart and spine
Very small child ==>
................... short path to floor ==> even lower resistance
................... Low weight ==> extra sensitive to current

Above factors taken together ==> extreme risk of electrocution

I would like to increase the length of the connectors by 5 mm and fit the female with a simple snap-lock just like a RJ-11 or RJ-45 plug.

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 11-29-2002).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: One universal plug ??? - 11/30/02 03:36 AM
Paul,
The device that I was referring to, has a
Part Number of 480-305, but this is only a
4 way unit, going by my 1996 edition, of the Catalouge. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: One universal plug ??? - 11/30/02 04:31 PM
I can't find that one in my RS catalogues (2000 Edition). They have 2-way leads from a 13A plug via a molded split to two IEC equipment sockets. 1 sq mm flex throughout.
© ECN Electrical Forums