ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy What is your favourite food? - 11/10/02 04:50 AM
Well,
Joe started it,
Tell me what is your favourite meal?,
what can you eat until it comes out your ears?.
Don't be shy now!.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 11-12-2002).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: What is your favourite food? - 11/10/02 11:06 AM
Hmm, where to start......

I like Chinese food, also spicy Mexican. But then I'm also partial to a good ol' American steak in Shoneys or traditional British fish and chips (in paper of course!).
Posted By: sparky Re: What is your favourite food? - 11/10/02 11:30 AM
my wife claims i'm like feedin' the dog....

not too picky....

i do eat a lot of chicken & pork, but only because i raise them
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: What is your favourite food? - 11/10/02 06:47 PM
Many times when we go out I'd really prefer to have the Grilled Cheese sandwiches on the kid's menu, but I would need a couple [Linked Image]
Baked Macaroni and Cheese, a good Burger (or Steak) and Fries, Fried Shrimp, Fetuccini Alfredo ... I'm getting hungry now, see what you did?

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: CTwireman Re: What is your favourite food? - 11/11/02 07:09 PM
Well, since I'm from New England, seafood!

Fish and chips and clam chowder all the way!

We don't eat our fish and chips in paper though. Paul, does that mean they're not authentic? [Linked Image]

I also like any ethnic food.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What is your favourite food? - 11/12/02 06:41 AM
My favourite foods are Ethnic,
I love anything that is HOT,the hotter the better, Indian curries, Chillied steak,
Tex-Mex is pretty cool too.
Love our Bluff Oysters, when you can get them, they are a real treat, eaten raw, with lemon juice.
Old Appy, take note, we shuck our own oysters down here and we don't go to a trendy restaurant to eat them.
But most of all, I love good old Fish and Chips, served in Paper, no Salt, you salt your own.
Nicely cooked Fish, crunchy chips, who could go wrong?.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: What is your favourite food? - 11/12/02 05:52 PM
Trumpy, do you put ketchup on your chips or vinegar? I prefer vinegar.

Is it true that in the old days, push cart vendors would sell fish and chips bundled in a sheet of newspaper?

P.S.: Some advice - if you come to the USA and want fish and chips do NOT go to a chain known as Arthur Treachers. AWFUL stuff (especially when I tasted the real thing at a now-defunct pub run by an expat Englishman)!!! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Hutch Re: What is your favourite food? - 11/12/02 08:24 PM
It has to be *malt* vinegar.

Fish and chip shops in the UK served their product wrapped in newspapers (for take home or eating on the go) until at least the mid 1970's. There was always a sheet of white paper between the product and the newsprint however. Still I remember my greasy fingers getting black from the ink - no long-lasting harm; I think???

We blamed the health freak namby-pambies from the EEC for banning the traditional wrappers - the same guys who have defined a carrot as a fruit so that the Portugese can make their traditional carrot jam (jam as you know, must be made from fruit!).

You could always tell the posh chippies - they wrapped their fish and chips in the 'Times' and not a tabloid! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: What is your favourite food? - 11/12/02 10:56 PM
Ah yes, you have to put on enough vinegar so that the fumes from it waft nicely around the room. Remember that TV commercial that went "Don't say vinegar - Say Sarsons"? (For non-UK readers, that's a popular brand of malt vinegar.)

It's hard to remember the last time I bought fish & chips wrapped in newspaper, but certainly when I was living in Cornwall in the early 1980s a lot of fish & chip shops still used it.

As for the EEC's idiotic rules and regulations, I'd better not even start on that one..... Just take a look here and you'll see what I mean! [Linked Image]

I quite like salad cream with my fish & chips. I believe that mayo is popular in Belgium and the Netherlands. Can you confirm this Belgian?

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-12-2002).]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: What is your favourite food? - 11/13/02 12:56 AM
Fish and chips or most anything from salt or fresh water is my preference.

No offense meant, but awhile back there was a US travel program [Bert Wolf] that filmed in a particular Scottish fish-and-chips shop. It offered a very unusual variation on a chocolate snack. The cook would unwrap some Snickers candy bars, and dip them into the fish batter, and then place them into the hot {fish} cooking oil. Apparently you had to eat them very hot to taste good.

I would try it once.
Posted By: Hutch Re: What is your favourite food? - 11/13/02 02:28 AM
Apparently, they are quite good – having spoken to some who have experienced it. Having a Scottish wife, I have been exposed to their culture. As well as the Mars Bars (Snickers without nuts) they also do pizza – dipped in fish batter and deep fried – as well as haggis – dipped in fish batter and deep fried – and bananas – dipped in fish batter and deep fried. I can well imagine baked-alaska Scottish style! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What is your favourite food? - 11/14/02 04:40 AM
Sven,
We normally have our Fish and Chips with
Tomato Sauce, this is like Ketchup, but it has a sweeter taste.
There are some strange comments in this posting, although I have heard of the deep-fried Chocolate bars.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: What is your favourite food? - 11/18/02 01:48 PM
Did you know that Nordsee, a fih imbiss chain now sells fish 'n chips wrapped in special paper with newspaper print on the outside?
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What is your favourite food? - 11/19/02 05:52 AM
Newsprint is the ONLY way to serve Fish and
Chips!.
Makes it all crunchier! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What is your favourite food? - 06/30/03 07:40 AM
Seems we've had a few new members to the ECN Forums, I would just like to re-ask this question?.
I saw a programme on TV recently, it was called Loyd On Location, it was a Foodie show, and he was in Chicago,(reputably the Steak capital of the WORLD), but the one thing that I would like to say, is that the Steaks at the couple of places(the names escape me now)where he went, were HUGE!!.
My mouth was watering alright!, Is this common fare in the US?.
If it is, I'm comin' over!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: What is your favourite food? - 06/30/03 09:24 AM
Pretty much so......

In a small town near to where I was (Minden, Nebraska) there was a typical old-style family diner in the town square. You could get a GIGANTIC steak with fries, hot biscuits, and all the trimmings for $5.95. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What is your favourite food? - 06/30/03 09:27 PM
Paul,
Hmm... Hot Biscuits?.
What are these?, I can't imagine eating cookies on the same plate as steak. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: What is your favourite food? - 06/30/03 10:06 PM
It's another one of those terms in our "common language" which means something rather different in America than in Commonwealth countries.

The closest you might have in NZ (like the UK) is a plain scone. I'm not much of a cook, but here's a Basic Recipe .

Food is one area where terminology differs considerably, e.g. chips/crisps, jelly/jam.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What is your favourite food? - 07/01/03 04:26 AM
Thanks,
For the explanation Paul.
Just like to add that, since I originally posted this topic, I've stopped eating HOT(spicy) food, I had a feed of curry, one night a while ago and it made me ill for about a week, it was just too hot, to digest!.
Have'nt tried anything hotter than having the normal pepper on my Dinner, since then.
What a learning experience that was!. [Linked Image]
Are the curries still popular in the UK, Paul?, I read some time ago, that this was the most popular dining out meal, amongst the English. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: What is your favourite food? - 07/02/03 08:54 AM
Yes, Indian curries are popular with some people here, and most big towns have one or more Indian "take-aways." For spicy foods, I prefer Mexican myself.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What is your favourite food? - 07/04/03 05:29 AM
Paul,
What is your favourite Mexican dish?.
I love Guacamale(sp?) and Corn Chips or Hot Tamales.
So Paul, what do you eat, these days?.
Three vege and meat?.
I am a great fan of having Edam cheese mixed in with my Potatoes and whip it all up, with a sprinkling of Garlic powder!, try it, I think you'll like it!. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 07-04-2003).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: What is your favourite food? - 07/04/03 09:32 AM
I suppose I'm not too adventurous with Mexican, and just eat the Gringos usual fare of tacos, burritos, enchiladas etc.

Other than that, living as a bachelor I guess makes one pretty lazy about food. It's mostly just quick and simple -- Dump the contents of a can into a saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes, or bake in the oven for a half-hour kind of thing.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What is your favourite food? - 07/07/03 11:00 AM
Paul,
Must say that convenience food(for want of a better term),is really getting quite good these days.
You can have a good sized, reasonably healthy meal on the table in under 10 minutes, these days, or longer, if you want to avoid food poisoning, with some cook-chills.
Canned soup is also getting better, from being just some peas and carrots, thrown in a can, with some water! [Linked Image]
Posted By: iwire Re: What is your favourite food? - 07/07/03 09:30 PM
Hi guys I would say I am somewhat like sparky I will give most things a try.

No particular order here.

Chinese food (hot and spicy dishes)

Pizza

Steak and Baked Potato

Lobster, Shrimp, Scallops, and Cod, I too am a New England Native.

BBQ, now this I will drive all over the place for. I am definitely a "Yankee" and I do not know if any of the places I like would hold up "down south" where BBQ is treated from what I have heard like religion.

BBQ to me is meat cooked in a smoker at low temps for many hours, pork, beef etc.

Some day I will travel down south for BBQ joint hopping, until then I go here.

http://www.memphisroadhouse.com/

Oh and Trumpy in the winter I have soup most every day at break from a thermos.

It is getting better and more variety, when they had a two for one sale I went an bought about 60 cans, it was the only thing I bought that trip and I got many strange looks. [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: iwire Re: What is your favourite food? - 07/07/03 09:42 PM
Bjarney The deep fried candy bars are showing up all over now.

I took the family to an agricultural fair here in MA called "The Big E" and they had all kinds of deep fried candy bars.

I would have tried one but I was to stuffed from all the other things we had there. [Linked Image]

I'll pass on the deep fried (or not) haggis.
Posted By: pauluk Re: What is your favourite food? - 07/08/03 12:11 PM
Southern barbecues still make me chuckle at the signs I saw on my first ever visit to the United States some years ago.

I was driving south on U.S. 27 in central Florida and kept seeing the usual ads at the roadside:

"Old South Bar-B-Q Ranch, 35 miles"

"Old South Bar-B-Q Ranch, come get some real southern cookin', 24 miles" etc.

After several of these up loomed another in the distance:

"Old South Bar-B-Q Ranch -- Please come in and buy something, I have to pay for all these dern signs!"

I can still picture that stretch of highway thanks to those signs! [Linked Image]

P.S. I never did get to eat there -- Turned off of Hwy 27 to head for Okeechobee before we reached the place.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 07-08-2003).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What is your favourite food? - 07/08/03 12:41 PM
Iwire,
Thanks for that link to the Memphis Roadhouse in your post, mate!.
I think I've just found HEAVEN!. [Linked Image]
Man, that food looks GOOOOOD!!!!.
Had to go get a sandwich or two, while I was checking that site out.
I hear you on the soup, too, works for me.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 07-08-2003).]
Posted By: iwire Re: What is your favourite food? - 07/08/03 08:15 PM
Trumpy, The Memphis is 10 minutes from my home, do I need to FedEx some brisket to you. [Linked Image]
Posted By: CTwireman Re: What is your favourite food? - 07/08/03 09:53 PM
It's funny to be reading about Memphis Roadhouse on an international forum. I was just there a few weeks ago! Small world. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums