ECN Forum
Posted By: Cubrilo Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 10/27/02 09:12 AM
What does "Diazed" mean? How those fuses got this name? Is it some German word? I've tried for long time to find it out and still don't have a clue.

[This message has been edited by Cubrilo (edited 10-27-2002).]
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 10/27/02 09:28 AM

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 11-18-2002).]
Posted By: Cubrilo Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 10/27/02 09:54 AM
You misunderstood me. I know what kind of fuse it is and how it's look like. What I don't know is what that particular word "diazed" means and why it is chosen for the name of the fuse.
Posted By: C-H Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 10/27/02 03:36 PM
Welcome to ECN Cubrilo!

A Serbian electrian - cool! Can you tell us about wiring in YU? Since you ask about "Diazed" I presume you use these?

"Diazed" and "Neozed" is German, but I do not know what the names stand for. However, the Diazed is older and larger. I would guess that "Neo-" was used simply to show that it was new, thus Neozed. Now, what could "Dia-" mean? I would guess at "Diameter" as the diameter of the fuse tip correlates with the fuse rating.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 10/27/02 07:21 PM
It may be German, but it isn't a word. It may be parts of two or more words mixed together. I don't think it has anything to do with diameter, because the german word for diameter is "Durchmesser".
Posted By: C-H Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 10/27/02 07:32 PM
>It may be German, but it isn't a word. It may be parts of two or more words mixed together.

It sounds like a trade name.

>I don't think it has anything to do with diameter, because the german word for diameter is "Durchmesser".

Schade! I'll try to come up with a more convincing explanation... What about this one:

Diameter zweiteiliger Edison Schraubstöpsel

That works out to: "Dia + z + Ed" = Diazed

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 10-27-2002).]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 10/27/02 08:18 PM
Sounds really nice!
Good point about the edison base.
I'm going to build a complete state-of-the-art diazed panel some time.
5 circuits, 2x 10A for lights and outlets (2 rooms served by each circuit) 1x 6A for same purpose (1 room served) and 2x 16A dedicated circuits for washer/dishwasher, main GFI, grounds,...
Posted By: C-H Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 10/27/02 08:29 PM

I'm going to build a complete state-of-the-art diazed panel some time.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] Why? [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 10/28/02 09:47 AM
Retrofit. It's an existing 2 circuit panel, and I'm going to completely rebuild it. As long as I'm able to keep it safe I have a fetish for old stuff.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 12/29/02 12:31 PM
I did a query on this topic at de.sci.ing.elektrotechnik, the only answers I received so far are that it's probably a Siemens trade name and indeed has something to do with diameter.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 05/07/06 12:12 PM
Almost 4 1/2 years after the initial post I was able to answer this question... My dad found a book "Northern Bajuvarian Electrical Engineering" published by the VDE (75 yrs. Bajuvarian VDE from 1986), which is actually a very detailed history of electrical supply.

C-H, you weren't even that far off!
Diameter zweiteiliger Edison Schraubstöpsel
Actually the term was invented in 1906 and stands for: "diametral abgesetzter zweiteiliger Edison-Schraubstöpsel"
I nearly fell off my chair laughing...

My best attempt of a translation is: "diametrally stepped two-piece Edison screw plug".

It was the first industry standard fuse, replacing a large variety of fuse system, some similar to the US Edison fuses (which were seen as too expensive since the entire fuse with the screw thread had to be changed and hence was replaced by the two-piece screw cap+fuse insert system).
Posted By: iwire Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 05/07/06 12:22 PM
4 1/2 years and you still remembered that the question was unanswered.

Vielen Dank! [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 05/07/06 12:31 PM
Well, I had completely forgotten about that thread, but reading the explanation I suddenly remembered the discussion.

You're welcome!
Posted By: mamills Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 05/10/06 03:05 AM
Take a look at this website;
www.altechcorp.com

In here, they refer to diazed fuses as "bottle" fuses...

Any help?

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 05/10/06 04:43 AM
Hi guys,

It's very hard to find even on Gooogle what diazed or neozed actually means.
I can read German but even there I can't find the actual translation of Diazed.

I found this text under Siemens Brazil and try to paste the text here below.

Also the link is attached for further reading if anyone wants it.

Fuses
Diazed Fuses
DIAZED fuses are used to prevent short circuit in home, business and building electrical installations. When installed, they usually enable users to handle them removing the risk of accidental contact. They have usage category gL/gG and three sizes (DI, DII and DIII) to support rated current from 2 to 100A.

Neozed Fuses
NEOZED fuses are undersized and are applied to prevent short circuit in common home, business and industrial installations. The way they were built ensures full accidental contact protection when assembling or changing fuses.

NH Fuses
NH fuses applies to short circuit overcurrent and overload protection in industrial electrical installations. They are current limiters with high breaking capacity from 120kA up to 500VCA.

Source: http://www.siemens.com.br/templates/imprensa_mais.aspx?channel=2040&press_id=14483

Regards Raymond
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 05/10/06 06:39 AM
Well, the only source where I found the real translation of Diazed was the book I quoted above. The German term is clear, only the translation to English might be a bit questionable.

diametrally stepped two-piece Edison screw plug
diamatrally stepped refers to the fact the tips have different tip diameters, stepping up with the amperage to prevent overfusing.
Two-piece is easy, it's fuse insert and screw cap. Edison... wel, E27 or E14 thread.
And plug... well, in the old days any kind of cartridge fuse used to be called plug fuse.
That's my translation of the official explanation.

NH fuses are commonly referred to as HRC fuses in the English speaking world.
Posted By: Wolfgang Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 05/10/06 09:18 PM
You'll find sth. here in German :
Neither the Dutch nor the English related article explain the name of the diazed system.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elektrische_Sicherung

Eine Schraubsicherung (auch Sicherungspatrone oder Schmelzsicherung) besteht aus einem zylinderähnlichen Keramikkörper. Schraubsicherungen werden in zwei verschiedenen Bauformen hergestellt. Es gibt das D-System ("Diazed": Diametral abgestuftes zweiteiliges Edisongewinde) und das D0-System ("Neozed"). Neozed-Sicherungen sind kleiner und erwärmen sich weniger, haben also eine kleinere Verlustleistung, als Diazed-Sicherungen.

So, at work!

[This message has been edited by Wolfgang (edited 05-10-2006).]
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 05/11/06 07:45 AM
Vielen dank Texas Ranger und Wolfgang.

That German article explains it perfectly.

I didn't know there were even D V sizes in the old days.

This was and still is a great system for fuses, especially the colour coded indicators which popped out when a fuse blew.

On the higher rating 25 Amps and over sometimes a fuse could work itself loose and cause arcing within the base.

I got a 35 Amp fuse somewhere in my workshop with arcing marks.
If I find it in my archives I will make a photo of it.

Regards Raymond
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 05/11/06 03:45 PM
Never seen D V, but once or twice I remember seeing D IV 100A service fuses in larger apartment buildings in Vienna.

D IV are pretty rare (a work mate even told me they're no longer sold in Austria), so sometimes people do strange things... I think two years ago, on Christmas Day said mate had service work. At 7 AM he got a call: "Apartment building, no apartment has power!" Going there he was already pretty sure they had a problem with thee main service. When he opened the service fuse box he got a real good laugh... some ingenious people had _stolen_ the fuses and screw caps!
Their luck they did it at night when there was no considerable load...
Posted By: C-H Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 05/12/06 09:08 AM
Where can I get 13A DI fuses? Never heard of them before I saw the Wikipedia article.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 05/13/06 12:00 PM
Never seen them either, but 13A DII fuses (color black) are mentioned in my school book too.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 05/15/06 08:10 AM
Link here to photos of Diazed fuses
Posted By: djk Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 05/17/06 01:05 PM
That's very similar looking to what you'd find in old installations here. Still plenty of ancient diazed boards in service, particularly in older residential installations.
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 05/17/06 08:42 PM
I have NEVER seen the DI or DII 13 Amp diazed fuses.

Perhaps for export markets like the UK or some of the UK colonies where ring mains are used and a 13 Amp fused plug is used. although these are more of the ceramic tube type.

Seen the odd 2 and 4 Amp DII ones on control circuits.
Posted By: Wolfgang Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 05/17/06 10:31 PM
13 A circuits have been introduced in Germany a few years ago. So 13 A MCB's and Neozed fuses have been normed and become available now.
Suppose 13 A Diazed are normed for the same reason, but it doesn't look like there is a real market for them, as nobody would use Diazed in a new installation.
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 05/17/06 11:24 PM
Wolfgang

What size wire do they allowe for 13 Amps ?

1.5 mm² ?

I do understand that all new intallations have MCB's now these days.

Thanks for your reply.

Pre 1988 when I lived in The Netherlands,
we used 10 Amps with 1.5 mm² and 16 Amps with 2.5 mm² wires.

Except with a combined powerpoint, lightswitch 1.5 mm² was allowed for a light circuit on a 16 Amps protected circuit.

Gruß

Raymond
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 05/18/06 05:05 AM
Ray,
Did I get them pictures in the right order?.
Posted By: Wolfgang Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 05/18/06 07:45 AM
@RODALCO

for D:
1,5 mm² is minimum for 3 wire 1 phase
2,5 mm² minimum only for 5 wire 3 phase (mandatory only for range/cooker/oven in kitchen)

> 95 % of actual domestic MCBs are B16, the rest is for direct water heaters B25, B32 (4 or 6 mm² typically)

even B10 is rather rare (more expensive than B16)
N is never switched <-> NL+F, nor protected (B), although allowed.

Situation in Austria is more reasonable. But that's Rangers' topic.

In front of switch panel and counter you will find an E characteristic selective circuit breaker now. Used to be Neozed so far. Mains service is usually fused by NH 63A or more.

Grid is TN-C-S or TT depending on local line provider (VersorgungsNetzBetreiber)
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Why it is called Diazed fuse? - 05/18/06 09:45 AM
Seen the odd 2 and 4 Amp DII ones on control circuits.
They're _really_ rare by now, but once or twice I've seen 4A DII in domestic fuse boxes.
As a matter of fact, fuses 6A and below are _not_ stepped, i.e. they all have the same tip diameter!

Austria: we've got differen requirements for fuses/L characteristic breakers and B/C/D breakers.
1.5mm2: L/fuse: max. 12A, that's why we used to have 12A breakers. B/C/D breakers: max. 16A but depends on the installation method (insulated walls, for example drywall with rock wool call for derating). 2.5mm2: L 20A (though usually 16A max), B/C/D 25A (though rarely ever more than 20A, rather 16).
Neutral usually fused or switched on single phase circuits.
© ECN Electrical Forums