ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Aerial Rotators - 10/13/02 04:09 AM
Could someone please give me some advice on the specifying of Rotators for Heavy duty use.
The Rotator will be asked to turn a 10 metre
5 Element Yagi beam+ a VHF-FM(88-108MHz)5 Yagi, a 2 metre 13 Element beam and a 15 metre Yagi 4 Element beam.
This is for a friend of mine, we are currently designing a tower for the installation.
Can you guys give me some advice on the sizing of the Rotator motor and how many wires are required to run a Rotator of this size.
Also can you suggest a website for Rotators?.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 10-17-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 10-17-2002).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Aerial Rotators - 10/17/02 06:15 AM
Can anyone give me some advice?
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Aerial Rotators - 10/17/02 08:20 PM
Trumpy — One or two outboard thrust bearings may help.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamrot/4230.jpg
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Aerial Rotators - 10/20/02 03:46 AM
Thanks Bjarney, just wondering what the current draw of this type of equipment is,
and what size wire I should use and how many wires I would need in the multi-core, up to the rotator.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Aerial Rotators - 10/20/02 06:55 PM
The number of conductors up to the rotator varies with the design and the type of control. The more sophisticated units have a feedback signal from the rotator head to the controller and often need a couple of extra (smaller gauge) wires.

The main conductors will need to be sized for the motor rating, and the anticipated voltage drop which will depend upon the length of cable. Don't forget to allow for the starting current of the motor, not just running current. That could cause a significant voltage drop on a long run.
© ECN Electrical Forums