ECN Forum
Posted By: C-H Brazil? - 10/02/02 04:24 PM
Hi!

I saw on old thread concerning power showers in Brazil. Are you guys still around? I've got a few questions about electricity in Brazil:

Which systems are in use? 127V, 220V, Are there any more?

Are appliances made for the Brazilian market rated 127V? Is there any problem with using US 120V equipment with the 127V system? (Do you know the voltage tolerances?)

Is conversion to a common system in progress?

How are houses supplied? Single phase, 3-phase or two of the three phases? Is the US style center-tapped single phase used?

(I have no plans to visit Brazil, I'm just curious!)
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Brazil? - 10/02/02 07:08 PM
Ok, I'll try to recall as much as possible about the system used in Brazil. It is a 127/220 V 3ph system, that's the only thing I know for sure. House supply is mostly 3 ph. http://www.interpower.com/guide.htm indicates that Voltages from 110 to 220V are used, @60Hz. Both Euro plugs and grounded/ungrounded NEMA plugs used.
Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Brazil? - 10/03/02 07:50 PM
It's often very hard to track down accurate information about electrical arrangements in many countries.

3-phase distribution in Brazil apparently uses both 127/220 and 220/380V systems. Whether there is a conversion program I have no idea, although some sources indicate that the 127 is available only in a few areas now, so it could well be the case.

Several other countries that used both 127/220 and 220/380 seem to have gradually converted everything to the higher voltages, e.g. I believe that all of the old 127/220 networks in France have now gone.
© ECN Electrical Forums