ECN Forum
Posted By: KJay Firefox Browser - 11/05/09 03:38 AM
Just wondering... is Mozilla Firefox based on Google Chrome?

I recently installed the current Firefox browser and while tooling through its program files, I noticed that there are several files referencing Chrome coupled with the default browser homepage being based on Google search.
Posted By: noderaser Re: Firefox Browser - 11/05/09 05:52 AM
Firefox came out of what was left of Netscape, carried on an open source platform. It came out 3 years before Chrome.
Posted By: KJay Re: Firefox Browser - 11/05/09 07:32 AM
Thanks. I had completely forgotten about Netscape.
I've been using use IE for a long time, but lately it has been acting up and I'm finally sick of it, so Firefox is my new browser. So far I like it a lot.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Firefox Browser - 11/05/09 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by KJay

What???

Yeah OK,
Considering that Fire-fox came out a few YEARS ahead of this so-called NEW Google web-browser.

Personally I wouldn't touch anything Google with a 10' barge pole these days, it is Big Brother in it's most subtle guise.

I've even taken to going to Wikipedia these days to avoid all of the Google rubbish, if I do a search, I want info, not ads.
BTW,
That "Chrome" you saw is part of the set-up files, it is only called that, nothing more.
Just like Windows XP has a Linux$ file in it too, it means nothing.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Firefox Browser - 11/06/09 09:58 AM
This article makes interesting reading:

Google opens up on private data. eek
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Firefox Browser - 11/06/09 05:21 PM
I use this

http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm

If nothing else they scrape off the google side bar ads and give you a cleaner screen but they also isolate you from some of the google tracking.
Posted By: JoeKP Re: Firefox Browser - 11/09/09 04:21 AM
Originally Posted by KJay

Hell NO!
Posted By: KJay Re: Firefox Browser - 11/10/09 07:40 AM
I have to admit, the last time I used either Netscape or Opera was back around maybe 2001-02 with Win98. I think that was toward the end of life for Netscape then anyway.
Wasn’t the AOL browser based on Netscape back then?
I think what may have finally done Netscape in was associating themselves with the whole AOL/Time Warner thing.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Firefox Browser - 11/10/09 07:47 AM
Steve Case (AOL) sold his soul to Microsoft around version 3.x to get desk top space on Windoze 95. AOL 4.0 came out with only the EI browser supported on it. It was ironic because AOL had not owned Netscape very long when they made the deal.
I think AOL was on the XP disk I loaded and 9.0, the last version of AOL still only supports IE.
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: Firefox Browser - 12/17/09 04:26 AM
So who's still using Mosaic on their windows 3.1 machine?
Posted By: noderaser Re: Firefox Browser - 12/17/09 05:02 AM
Still have a 486SX in the closet, though I "upgraded" it to Windows 95... Kind of wish I had the 3.11 disks to relive ye olden daze.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Firefox Browser - 12/17/09 05:47 AM
If you are really interested in 3.11 I may have them
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Firefox Browser - 12/17/09 05:59 AM
I found DOS 6.3 and W3.1 but I am sure I have 3.11 around here somewhere. I have about 1000 diskettes to look through.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Firefox Browser - 12/17/09 05:59 AM
I also have a DOS 7.1 on a CD for the best of both worlds.
Posted By: aussie240 Re: Firefox Browser - 12/17/09 08:46 AM
Still using WFW3.11 here; I put it on a CD so the whole thing installs in a couple of minutes. Shows you how much bloatware there is in modern operating systems. The main limitation now is with internet browsers; Nestcape 4.08 was the last 16 bit browser. I mainly use it for my scanner and editing audio files these days.
© ECN Electrical Forums