ECN Forum
Posted By: ggardiner Windows updates beware - 05/28/08 02:14 PM
I have just had a situation with two computers both having the exact same problem. It seems a few days ago my son found his computer could no longer get on the internet and he could not delete some files or do any type of changes the computer decided should be done by an adminstrator (computer does not have an administrator owner is suppose to have those rights) this was XP home, at the time we thought he had picked up a virus of some sort from the way things were going.

Last night Windows sent their latest update to my computer (on Vista) after updating to it I then experienced the same problems he was having on the first computer at that time we realized a few hours before his problem was noticed Windows had sent an update to him.

I have since talked to another person who works where I am and she just had the same thing happen a couple of days ago and was about to send her computer to the shop for repairs thinking she had a virus of some type.

It might be a good idea to not install the updates for a couple of days until Windows has a chance to look into it as I suspect they must be getting a lot of complaints about this.
Posted By: LarryC Re: Windows updates beware - 05/29/08 02:29 PM
Talking to the IT people at work, the culprit may be Windows XP Service Pack 3. There opinion was that the user may need some new drivers.

Larry C
Posted By: JValdes Re: Windows updates beware - 05/29/08 03:22 PM
I have had to do three (3) reinstalls of Vista OS due to the updating problem. I worked for four days on mine with Dell and we could not find the problem. We did one mirror image reinstall then two complete reinstall of the OS. Just for trial and error purposes, I turned off automatic updating. The PC has worked just fine since then. I talked to MS and Dell regarding this issue. MS wants me to download Vista SP1 and Dell doesn't want me too. I am now downloading manually, only the important updates with no issues so far. Dell wants me to do it this way for a few weeks then turn automatic updating back on. I have no clue why?
Anyone familiar with these issues and Vista SP1 updates? I sure could use some feedback as this PC has become a part time job for me. Thanks.......John Valdes
Posted By: ggardiner Re: Windows updates beware - 05/29/08 06:50 PM
The update that got my computer was Vista SP1 and I am still reloading things into that computer. the update that got the XP based computer I am not sure of yet haven't had time to reallylook at that one. Needed the one I work from home working first then worry about the play computer.

I'm starting to think maybe Windows is getting a little out of hand these security updates are to protect the computer from outside interference and I do admit it did only MS idea of outside interference seems to be anyone that does not work for them.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Windows updates beware - 05/29/08 09:00 PM
I found out MS supports knows some tricks they won't tell the Dell people and you have to pay MS $70 to talk to you.
Posted By: JValdes Re: Windows updates beware - 05/31/08 03:34 PM
Greg, I am having some success with MS via email. I had an issue a couple years ago and kept a copy of it.
I emailed the same guy at MS and we have been communicating regulary for the last couple of days. He has also told me that he would call me if I had trouble with the SP1 update.
I am still hesitant to procede with the download even though he encouraged me again to do it today.
The instructions and overview of SP1 indicate that the OEM be consulted before it is downloaded, to address possible issues with drivers after the install. He did admit that not downloading it would not be an issue, but he is sure high on me downloading this update.
See ya at the electrical forum.......John (J.V.)
Posted By: ggardiner Re: Windows updates beware - 06/02/08 03:08 PM
I just got both computers running again the way they are suppose to and now I have turned off the automatic updates I will choose which gets put in and when from now on and I will research each one on the net for possible problems before it gets into my machine again.

One of the things I noticed on the XP computer was the update set the Internet controls to work offline all the time. Even after a reimage this was still turned off and I had to do a complete reload of the OS to get rid of it as it kept coming back over and over again.
Posted By: JValdes Re: Windows updates beware - 06/04/08 05:53 PM
ggardiner, I am also doing the same. No more automatic updating for me. I am only installing important updates at this time. I also am updating Office the same way. I wonder why MS is pushing SP1 when it is full of bugs, just like Vista was when it came out. (still is in my opinion) I got this Vista machine the very week of the release. At that time there were no XP machines available, but now I see them all the time advertised by the electronic chain stores
Posted By: noderaser Re: Windows updates beware - 06/06/08 04:42 AM
I've never had my updates set to automatic... But then again, it's to avoid downloading "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification", so my bootleg copy of Windows won't stop working.
Posted By: JValdes Re: Windows updates beware - 06/08/08 04:09 PM
Not being a PC expert, I always did what MS said was recommended. I now know that their recommendations are no more than recommendations and do not have to be followed.

The question regarding Vista SP1 still begs an answer.
MS HIGHLY recommends I download it. But they do admit that NOT downloading it will cause no issue. My problem is, I am certain it will cause problems and create more work. I am just starting to get everything in order on this PC.
Anyone have an opinion on Vista SP1? Would you install it?
Thanks John
Posted By: Radar Re: Windows updates beware - 06/10/08 09:54 PM
I have never had a single issue or problem with MS Vista, or with any of the Vista updates.

'course, I don't have Vista. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Radar
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Windows updates beware - 06/11/08 02:04 AM
I have 98SE running quite well on 6 systems (one disk)
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Windows updates beware - 06/11/08 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by noderaser
I've never had my updates set to automatic... But then again, it's to avoid downloading "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification", so my bootleg copy of Windows won't stop working.

Yeah,
I must say I agree there.
The WGA software is nothing short of annoying and to a degree will seriously slow your system down.
I tried to install my copy of XP from my laptop onto one of my desktops as a dual-boot system, boy do I wish I'd never even tried.
However, it does go to show just how much information M$ can get from your system, over the internet connection.
Scary.
Posted By: ggardiner Re: Windows updates beware - 06/13/08 10:22 PM
What I'd like to know is when you set vista to not download automatically is how to stop the constant reminders updates are available and once you say no to one how do you stop it from coming back time and time again?
Posted By: noderaser Re: Windows updates beware - 06/14/08 06:29 AM
Isn't there a "Don't notify me, I will download and install manually" option like in XP?
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Windows updates beware - 06/14/08 07:25 AM
Isn't there a "Don't notify me, I will download and install manually" option like in XP?

Nope,
We just got the full noise flash version of Vista at work.
To be honest, I wish (as the systems admin there) we'd stayed with XP.
Alerts for everything under the sun, it has to be the most annoying OS I've ever worked with.
And this is the future, is it?
God help us all!!

What annoys me the most, is the fact that we actually paid money for this.

UbuntuLinux (FiestyFawn) could have done the same thing without all the rubbish and quarter of the System requirements.
Posted By: noderaser Re: Windows updates beware - 06/15/08 12:39 AM
Yes, all the horror stories of Vista have not made me want to spend money for the upgrade, or even go about getting a bootleg copy. While my computer count is currently 2/2 Windows XP/MacOS, I think I will convert 1 on the XP machines to Ubuntu. The other XP Machine would be for gaming. I am also going to install an XP partition (and VMWare) on my new MacBook Pro.

On a similar note, Leopard hasn't been that great of an "advance" either. Seems like Apple's announcement about "Snow Leopard" being mostly a functionality (and not feature) upgrade is an admission that they might have screwed up a little bit too. But, it's still leagues better than Vista will ever be.
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Windows updates beware - 06/15/08 03:22 PM
Yes, all the horror stories of Vista have not made me want to spend money for the upgrade, or even go about getting a bootleg copy. While my computer count is currently 2/2 Windows XP/MacOS, I think I will convert 1 on the XP machines to Ubuntu. The other XP Machine would be for gaming. I am also going to install an XP partition (and VMWare) on my new MacBook Pro.

On a similar note, Leopard hasn't been that great of an "advance" either. Seems like Apple's announcement about "Snow Leopard" being mostly a functionality (and not feature) upgrade is an admission that they might have screwed up a little bit too. But, it's still leagues better than Vista will ever be.

I gotta agree with you on Apple, and I only use Macs. I had Tiger on my G4 iBook for a while, until the hard drive crashed. With 768MB of RAM it was OK, as long as all the fancy stuff was turned off. (Dashboard, Spotlight, etc.) I'm not even going to try Leopard, at least until I get a newer Mac. I'm still trotting along with Panther on this iBook and four old G3 iMacs, and until Camino goes Tiger-only I will be.

But on the other hand, I'd still rather use a recent Mac w/ 256MB RAM and Tiger/Leopard over a recent PC w/ 1GB RAM and Vista, just due to the constant nagging Mike noted.

Ian A.
Posted By: JValdes Re: Windows updates beware - 10/08/08 02:50 PM
I finally got the nerve to download SP1 for vista. To my amazement it went seamlessly and my pc is working better than ever.

They recommended to wait for the update to be ready via automatic updating. I set the controls to notify but not to download or install the updates, to let me choose. When it finally showed up I bit the bullet and let it in. No problem, Glad I did it.
© ECN Electrical Forums