ECN Forum
Posted By: RODALCO How long do memory sticks last ? - 02/15/06 09:21 AM
I'm just curious if anyone on ECN knows how many times you can use, erase memory sticks on digital camera's.

I take a reasonable amount of digital photo's and there is an event counter, like DSC 000426 which keeps track and number of the photo's taken.

I use a Sony handicam, movies on tape in digital format, and stills on a memory stick duo ( 8 MB ) about good for 55 x 120 kB photo's. It works great, no problems whatsoever, stick full, in the computer and download photo's, direct to ECN, family or put on CD-R to get photo's made off in the shop.

I'm thinking to get a higher capacity memory stick as well which makes life a little easier for me.

Any replies would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks
Ray
Posted By: Celtic Re: How long do memory sticks last ? - 02/15/06 10:38 PM
I have a Sony camera (DCR-PC100) that has been in use for about 5 years now. I upped the memory - came with a 64mb - to a 256mb and have been using that card for about 4 years.
Posted By: JoeTestingEngr Re: How long do memory sticks last ? - 02/15/06 11:16 PM
I think that they should last unless or until they get zapped. Dallas Semi. used to make tall non-volatile memory chips that held memory for 7+ years. That was because there were lithium batteries built in. EPROMs were supposed to hold data about 10 years before the charge would possibly bleed off and corrupt data. I don't think that either of these issues apply here though. You're off loading the pictures to other media for long term storage.
Joe
Posted By: techie Re: How long do memory sticks last ? - 02/16/06 07:59 AM
somewhere between 10,000 and 1,000,000 write cycles per sector.
assuming 250 pictures/card, and 10,000 cycles, thats 2,500,000 pictures over the life of the card.

google 'flash card write cycles' for more info.
Posted By: RODALCO Re: How long do memory sticks last ? - 02/19/06 06:42 PM
Thanks guys !!

Ray
© ECN Electrical Forums