ECN Forum
Posted By: Gloria looking for this connection - 03/10/05 08:46 AM
Hello All!

I'm looking for a word for one of my notebook's output plugs.
It is very hard to explain it, anyway I hope one of you all knows this kind of port, maybe can have a pictue and a name for it, and what is it for.
Not USB, Not screen (15 pole) not anything like those.
it has three flat plates of metal, I guess two of them has paralel endings of an IC.
It is flat, wide as the printer port, and has two clips' (?) on both sides.
The pictogram is almost the same as the screens, but there are another two rectangles under is (Seems to me as a TV)

Thanks for your help!
Posted By: Indcom Re: looking for this connection - 03/10/05 10:12 AM
This sounds like the Dock Port for a Docking station to your PC. It would be used specifically for a device station on your PC that you would "Slide" your notebook into so you could view info on your PC from your notebook.

Let me know if I'm on the right track here.
Posted By: johnb Re: looking for this connection - 03/16/05 12:48 AM
Either that or on some laptops the external floppy uses the type of port you describe. Does your laptop have an internal floppy? what model and brand is your laptop?
Posted By: Gloria Re: looking for this connection - 03/16/05 10:18 AM
ACER TravelMate c110.

No floppy, no cd

Thanks! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: looking for this connection - 03/16/05 10:37 AM
Gloria,
It's not an RS-232 port by any chance is it?
A Comms port. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Gloria Re: looking for this connection - 03/16/05 12:36 PM
Hello, Dear!

You mean this http://www.camiresearch.com/Data_Com_Basics/image31.gif

it is not. But thank you for your help.
Posted By: n1ist Re: looking for this connection - 03/16/05 02:17 PM
The manual can be found at http://www.acersupport.com/library/tmc110ug.pdf
The only connector that fits that description is the expansion connector to connect to the port replicator (see page 18 if the user manual).

/mike
Posted By: Gloria Re: looking for this connection - 03/29/05 01:52 PM
I've found the description, but still don't really know what it is for.
http://w3.externet.hu/~alterego/Beaf/C110.JPG
Posted By: n1ist Re: looking for this connection - 03/30/05 12:43 AM
The port replicator (aka docking station) has a second copy of the keyboard, mouse, video, and possibly other I/O ports. You would leave this part on your desk, connected to your regular keyboard, etc. That way, when you want to take your laptop with you, you just have to remove it from the dock rather than having to unplug many cables. Some docking stations also have extra drives (floppy, cd) so they wouldn't take up extra space or weight in the laptop when you are on the road.
Posted By: Gloria Re: looking for this connection - 03/31/05 01:13 PM
Very interesting. So all I do, I do on the notebook, I only use a separate keyboard, mouse, screen and maybe some additional drivers too... hmm.

The fact that I use this laptop as a home pc, cause it's screen doesn't work well, so I use an external screen.
Thinking that I'm always full of cables whenever I start to work, this station thing makes sense. [Linked Image]

Tho it is worse for men to use a notebook (because of the warming), I also hate to have all the notebook on my legs, I'd prefer to use a keyboard.
© ECN Electrical Forums