ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss What Software do you Run? - 12/16/02 04:48 AM
What type of Antivirus Software do you have and is it easy to use, any problems with it?

How about Uninstallers? Are they worth using?

Any other 'Utility' Software?

Bill
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: What Software do you Run? - 12/16/02 05:27 AM
Norton Antivirus 2001

Plus:
Adaware 5.0 for spyware.
Zone Alarm 3.1 for firewall.

No problems!
Posted By: sabrown Re: What Software do you Run? - 12/19/02 01:56 PM
I have Norton Hanta Virus corporate edition and it has a few issues in forgeting how to live update causing the need to reinstall, but, it does work good. I have had a few viruses be quarenteened as someone tried to send them to me.
Posted By: sabrown Re: What Software do you Run? - 12/19/02 01:58 PM
Note: Hanta Virus is passed by deer mice and is a common hazard in many of the places I work. Thus I picked up the use of the name when referring to AntiVirus.
Posted By: bobp Re: What Software do you Run? - 12/27/02 05:02 AM
Bill,
I use Ontrack System Suite. I've tried the Norton, McAfee and Symnatec but had nothing but problems. I'm Computer Technology Challenged, so what I use has to be easy to use and it has protected me so far .
Bob
Posted By: wolfdog Re: What Software do you Run? - 12/28/02 03:23 AM
Windows 2000 Pro and Norton System Works Pro with Norton Internet Security for firewall etc.

I have never had update problems or had anything sneak by in 3 years with this combination.
Posted By: dougwells Re: What Software do you Run? - 05/29/03 06:57 AM
where oh where has my ontrack gone or is it woke up one morning my ontrack was dead any how cant find my firewall program on my hard drive anyboby know how to retrieve it useing the system suite data recovery tools help i liked it thanks in advance
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: What Software do you Run? - 05/29/03 05:44 PM
I once worked in a place with a lady who would clean the computer keyboard with cotton swabs dipped in alcohol each day.

Virus-free! [Linked Image]
Posted By: C-H Re: What Software do you Run? - 05/29/03 08:57 PM
TG,
if other people than her were using the computer she could well have been right. There is a lot of dirt on keyboards. I fear the dirt could be very much alive..

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 05-29-2003).]
Posted By: Gwz Re: What Software do you Run? - 05/30/03 01:47 AM
I've had good service with McAfee.

Did try to use two on same PC. That was bad news until removing one of the antivirus systems.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: What Software do you Run? - 05/30/03 03:52 AM
Glenn,

I've been using McAfee VirusScan for years, but have had some problems with it. Some were pretty quirky.

With one version, (5.xx I think) my computer was actually losing Time, sometimes almost an hour a day. (I think the clock would revert to the correct time when I restarted). I found some documentation on the problem and it was resolved when I installed a newer version.

With ver 6 I've had some problems with the automatic updater (I think it's fixed now) and now the Firewall, but that might be a configuration problem on my part, I don't know yet.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 05-29-2003).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What Software do you Run? - 07/05/03 02:06 AM
Bill,
I use Norton Anti-virus 2002 and also
Symantec Automatic Live Update, can't be too careful these days.
I can't say I've had any problems with Norton A/V software, but this Windows XP Professional version is a nightmare if you ever have any problems with it and I've had a few of them!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: What Software do you Run? - 07/07/03 03:11 AM
Trumpy,

I've got XP on the new Dell machine, and I'm not real fond of it. Maybe because it's a bit different from what I'm used to, I don't know. The kids seem to like it, but we've already found several programs that just don't work right on it.

Bill
Posted By: Scott35 Re: What Software do you Run? - 07/07/03 06:17 AM
I used to use Quarterdeck's "Cleansweep" for uninstall utility, but it had it's share of difficulties and peculararities (sp??). Got it tweeked good using version 3.xxx, but the next version was just too annoying that I dropped the utility all together.

Ended up getting a couple good tech manuals about Uninstalling Windows Applications, and just do manual removals once in a great while.
After many re-configs and using software packages, I finally learned what not to install on my serious machines [Linked Image]
Same cannot be said for friends, family and clients!!! That's when it's time to try manual uninstalls or use the applications uninstall utility (which is like a russian roulette scenario!).

As for Virus utilities, they are just too much of a headache for me!
The last time I used one was on my mother's machine.
A WORM had been picked up from some silly internet site (I will keep the story short by just mentioning it was brought in from a site which my young neice and her friends were browsing... totally G rated site, but fooled them into a download and execution to do "something cool").
This WORM was extremely annoying! It constantly tried to ping and probe the LAN, but all other workstations used Windows 95! It sat on the only Win 98 SER1 machine, trying to collect more account info.
Eventually, it launched up a MODEM connection, and tried desperately to send data to the hacker. Only thing preventing this was the phone line had been used for a voice call at the same time, so in the middle of the conversation my mother heard the dialer kicking out tones, then the "Calling Tone" of the MODEM (the short beep cadence).

She quickly got annoyed with this noise, and goes on a search for me - to see what i am doing to cause all this noise!

I could not get the MODEM to turn off and stay off - no matter what I did! So I run the virus scanner in "Max Mode".

End result - the WORM kept a replication app in the root directory, and the virus scanner invoked a "Domino Effect" of rampant replications plus executions, bringing the machine to the ever famous and very uncool "Black Screen Of Death"! (The one with the fatal text of: Windows Protection Error - Reinstall Windows).

That was the last straw for me and virus scanners!
They are annoying, resource taxing, and in some cases, downright nasty!

I lower my risk of virus trouble by staying away from any site that "pushes" a downloadable executable on visitors, along with not opening attachments from unknown sources, killing chain letters ASAP, viewing incoming E-mail in a "minimized view" (not opening the message, only viewing the sender's info), and including file sizes on attached items I send out to others (so if something ends up larger or smaller than what I sent a person, they can dump the message and alert me).
Not that this is the best for everyone, just my preference!

BTW, I have received many messages of 130 KB + size, with the name "Subscribe ECN" as the sender, which I am sure are from bad sources. Anyone else getting these?
If so, do not open the message!!! It probably is some disgruntled ex-member or random hacker trying to push a time bomb or WORM on us!
These come into my inbox, but "good messages" from ECN or certain members are filtered into proper boxes - and they contain a much more descriptive subject heading, as opposed to the normal "Your Subscription" text of the suspect messages.

Also had some using names of Mike Holt, IAEI and NFPA.

If someone wants to quaranteen (sp???) one of these messages, then forward it to the FBI, that would be great!

Scott35
Posted By: pauluk Re: What Software do you Run? - 07/07/03 01:04 PM
I don't use any anti-virus software either and pretty much follow the same step as you Scott.

It's possible to set different security levels for certain websites, e.g. set cookies, Java etc. enabled for ECN & other trusted sites while not allowing anything beyond basic HTML to run while "browsing" the unknowns.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: What Software do you Run? - 07/11/03 02:34 AM
Paul,

I don't use any anti-virus software either and pretty much follow
the same step as you Scott.

I thought you would do the same! Great Nerds think alike [Linked Image]

I put that Virus utility on my Mother's machine, just to keep an eye on things - but should have gone with experience and not installed any virus checking utility... (hindsight = > 20/20 ... :eek [Linked Image]

My wife and I share household with parents (2 houses on same property), so they have their own machine and telephone line(s), and we have our machines + telephone lines. Ethernet (100 BTX) connects them with us, but I play administ. + end user support for all machines here (and many other places!!! :eek [Linked Image].

On the fun side of things, the company I work for is thinking of going with some type of DSL service (most likely ADSL), possibly T1 service if price is right and can be justified. That would be a real nice thing, considering everyone currently shares the same telephone line for Analog dial in access!
No Comm server - just "First Come, First Served", with lots of drops from knocking each other off line! (also they use AOL, and it's becoming an extreme pain in the butt for me!).

Scott35
© ECN Electrical Forums