ECN Forum
Posted By: rmiell virus updating - 08/13/01 10:59 PM
For those of you who have anti-virus programs (I have Norton Anti-Virus), how often do you update your virus list? I used to do it one every couple of months. but with the new viruses, I think I may have to do it more often. Any ideas?

I went to the symantec site, and boy does it have information! Everyone I know says you can't get a virus unless you open an attachment, but there are viruses that will infect by only opening and reading your e-mail. Damn!

I emailed a bunch of fellow professionals last week, then met with a few last Friday. More than one said that the email I just sent had attachments, but I had not attached anything. I'm thinking of doing an electronic signature, with the statement " I am not attaching anything to this email. If you receive any, delete immeadiatly!"

Any thoughts?

I use outlook express for some email, and hotmail for others. I don't think Outlook scans for viruses, but I think Hotmail does. Anyone have experence with either of these?

Thanks all

Rick Miell

[This message has been edited by rmiell (edited 08-13-2001).]
Posted By: sparky Re: virus updating - 08/13/01 11:35 PM
Hi Rick;
i ended up updating to Norton 2001, it says 'symantec' on it. once the program is installed, it just does it's thing, no need to ask it.

i did get the virus, and it did mail out a lot of old bills and proposal's all on it's own
no takers though.....

not being that savey of such matters, i am sorry i cannot further help you here

[Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums