ECN Forum
Posted By: Dale Is this true? - 03/12/02 03:25 AM
I read this is it true...electric shock is damaging due to AMPS not volts
Posted By: George Corron Re: Is this true? - 03/12/02 04:18 AM
'tis true, 'tis true, the volts push it through, but it's the amps what stops the heart laddie.
Getting shocked off a spark plug is not likely to kill you (if you're in good health) because low ampacity. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Redsy Re: Is this true? - 03/12/02 12:17 PM
Yes, it is the amount of current passing through the body that causes the damage.
Remember though that all things being equal, higher voltages will push proportionally more current through your body.
Also remember that it takes less than one-tenth of an amp to kill a human being.
Posted By: maintenanceguy Re: Is this true? - 03/16/02 11:39 AM
but, the normal electrical communication that goes on between nerves can be disrupted with high voltage at practically no current. This can shut down the heart or other parts of the body. But high voltage tends to only travel along the skin instead of penetrating deep enough to do any permanent damage.

I'm talking about voltages on the tens or hundreds of thousands of volts, not 480.

Think stun gun.
Posted By: sparky Re: Is this true? - 03/16/02 12:09 PM
or electric chair [Linked Image]
Posted By: Chris Rudolph Re: Is this true? - 03/17/02 01:03 AM
Sparky,You might be interested to know that the the name of the electric chair in Florida is "Old Sparky".

Chris
Posted By: circuit man Re: Is this true? - 03/17/02 03:54 AM
hey guys yall ever heard of a guy called "NIKOLA TESLA" ? he used to sit i his lab while lighting bolts jumped over his head. he would also hold his hand on what is called a tesla coil, & watch sparks shoot off his finger tips. it seems the higher the frequency the voltage travels over the top of the skin intead of through not harming the person. not only to say this guy was a great inventor of the transformer & the modern electric motor, but i belive he was close to a genius [Linked Image]
Posted By: old Appy Re: Is this true? - 06/13/02 11:33 AM
we used to say" it aint the volts that jolt its the mills that kills"
craig
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Is this true? - 06/13/02 01:25 PM
No question, he was a genius.

Nikola Tesla
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Is this true? - 06/13/02 02:42 PM
Too, http://nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/electrical/tesla/pictures/misc/tesla50.jpg

Primarily: http://www.google.com/search?num=20...el+electric+shock&btnG=Google+Search
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: Is this true? - 07/31/02 01:36 PM
When I was in the Navy, they used to tell us that the body's resistance could, under certain circumstances, be as low as 300 ohms. If you apply Ohm's Law, you will find that 30 volts can push .1 amp through your body, and put you in a pine box. It's not likely to happen, but those Navy instructor's got their info from somewhere. Do you think that it happened on some submarine? The old ones were DC. Thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

I=E/R,
Doc
Posted By: jim_94087 Re: Is this true? - 07/31/02 11:04 PM
That picture of Nikola Tesla sitting
in a chair as sparks fly about him
was a multiple exposure. The situation
depicted therein was simply lethal to
an unprotected human. The biography
wherein I saw that picture noted that it
was a multiple exposure and mentioned
some contraversy at the time from the
revelation of that fact.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Is this true? - 07/31/02 11:19 PM

When I was in the Navy, they used to tell us that the body's resistance could, under certain circumstances, be as low as 300 ohms

Under extreme conditions it appears it can be even less.
http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/deathrow/drorder.html

{Scroll down to the table of measurements about a third of the way down the document. The lowest recorded value is 133 ohms.}
Posted By: sparky Re: Is this true? - 08/01/02 09:17 PM
hmmmm, inmate Remeta being the most 'resistant'....can't blame him for trying.....
© ECN Electrical Forums