What is "Flicker Factor"

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Flicker Factor - 05/23/01 08:30 PM
Flicker's a Horse!

Or is that Flicka?

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Flicker Factor - 05/23/01 10:18 PM
I think he was talking about the inductance from the motors or the current that will flyback when the magnetic fields in the armatures collapse.
Posted By: sparky Re: Flicker Factor - 05/25/01 11:12 AM
Dspark,
yes, i noticed Scott had used the term.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Flicker Factor - 05/26/01 01:30 AM
I was trying to make a joke -
My Friend Flicka? No Good huh?? [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: sparky Re: Flicker Factor - 05/26/01 11:54 AM
Bill,
sure, just gotta get by your LI accent !
lol !
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Flicker Factor - 05/26/01 12:55 PM
Sparky,

And I'll talk Slower for you next time!

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Flicker Factor - 05/28/01 03:28 PM
Steve,

Once again, sorry to throw that one out there and not explain it! I made a reply in the Holt forum, and now in here!!

When SCE quoted flicker factor, it was in respect to the two [2] 4-ton AC pumps proposed to be installed on that project.

So, it sure seems to me that it's how much the lights will flicker when the AC pumps start.

From what I have made out of it, the 4.6% flicker factor must be worst-case scenario if both pumps were staring together and the transformer had a nominal load on it.

I need to dive into this one soon, so when I get some firm facts, this forum will be the first to know.

Anyone have facts on this?? [Utility design engineers' system rating and loads plans, listing flicker factor as % on calc sheets].
If yes, send those bad boys this way!!!!

I'll try to browse around here at least an hour or so in the upcoming weeks - more specific this week [thru June 3rd], as they have stacked 982,093 things on me and can only do upto 2 things at a time without having a GPF!! [General Protection Fault not on my PC, but in my head [Linked Image]].

BTW: just who in the heck are they?? Everyone talks about them! Everyone knows them!! Who are they!!??
[stepping into the "Seinfeld Zone" here... [Linked Image]]

Scott SET
Posted By: sparky Re: Flicker Factor - 05/29/01 11:44 AM
Scott,
i have no facts. I do get asked why lights flicker when a load is applied, i had no idea that 'flicker factor' was a term , or that it could actually be calculated.

[Linked Image]
so i am being introduced to yet another trade buzzword?
Posted By: Phil H Re: Flicker Factor - 06/01/01 07:20 AM
Scott,

I was curious about the flicker factor and found this with a search engine: http://www.manta.ieee.org/groups/1453/drpaper.html . The article is over my head; but, I thought you might understand it. It has background etc. on IEEE and IEC flicker standards.

Phil H
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Flicker Factor - 06/02/01 04:36 AM
Phil,

Thanks for the link!!!!
I'll check it out after sending this message!!

Scott SET
Posted By: sparky Re: Flicker Factor - 06/02/01 07:24 PM
whoa,
now that's an intense link!
i think i get the 'lamp-eye-brain' part so far...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Flicker Factor - 06/03/01 01:39 AM
[Linked Image from manta.ieee.org]
Oh yes! I've been looking for that! [Linked Image]

We're gettin pretty deep in here! [Linked Image]

Bill
Posted By: RICK 44 Re: Flicker Factor - 06/10/01 10:12 AM
sparkey
I have never run across the term flicker factor before. But have done some power quality analisys. In my research I found a case study on light flicker done by a company that makes power quality analysers.It explains light flicker in a manner that is easy to under stand. You can find this article at http.//dranetz-bmi.com
go to the library, look towards the bottom at case studies. Its labled light flicker in office complex.
Posted By: sparky Re: Flicker Factor - 06/10/01 11:50 PM
Thanks Rick 44
http://drametz-bmi.com/CaseStudies/CASE25/cstudyflick2.html/

worthy reading

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Flicker Factor - 06/11/01 01:13 AM
The URL is:
http://dranetz-bmi.com/CaseStudies/CASE25/cstudyflick2.html

Hint: if you use copy and paste to copy the correct URL, you can avoid any typographical errors.
© ECN Electrical Forums