ECN Forum
Posted By: electure Hotline's Hot Honda - 03/19/10 03:15 AM

From Hotline1

I came upon this Tuesday AM. Appears to be the result of a 7.2 KV primary falling from the nasty nor'easter storm that pounded us. Visible in the pic is a piece of primary cable, on the hood area....

PS, passed it again today, still there, noticed HV cable on top of the front drivers side tire, top of fender well. Scrap hounds must have took what was on the hood cause it's gone.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Hotline's Hot Honda - 03/20/10 02:43 AM
It's Friday, close to a week after the storm, and my POCO friends are still working "18 On", with mutual aid help. More info to follow if available.
Posted By: Admin Re: Hotline's Hot Honda - 03/20/10 04:34 AM
Wow.

Hope this was a parked car and no one was in it.

I was in a Restaurant during it and the power went out. I think a Transformer blew across the street. Luckily we had already eaten, so it was time to go anyway.

Bill
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Hotline's Hot Honda - 03/24/10 10:05 AM
I might get lambasted for this post, but I'm going to say it anyway.
It is a mid-90's Honda Prelude, some would say, the "answer" to the Mazda RX-7, that didn't have a rotary (Wankel) engine.

What seems strange though from a Fire Officers angle, is the fact that the tyres never caught fire or popped with the localised heat, yet the paint on the vehicle has burnt pretty much back to the drivers seat.

With a vehicle that is involved with any sort of HV cables falling over the top of it, the Fire Department would be very stand-offish about extinguishing a fire, until it could be guaranteed that all sources of voltage were de-energised.

My opinion only.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Hotline's Hot Honda - 03/24/10 01:35 PM
Trumpy:

I have to say I did not see the passenger side, and looking at the pic, it looks 'lower', so that may be a shot tire.

I still haven't caught up with any of the POCO linemen that I know, there still on storm damage recovery, and personal recovery.

As there is HV cable on the top of the driver side front tire...perhaps this was a 'drive over' a fallen/hanging cable?

Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Hotline's Hot Honda - 04/07/10 01:28 AM
Quick update. Caught the trouble lineman that was there this afternoon. Tree snagged 7.2KV primary, it landed on the car. Circuit had to be isolated for safe access, but FD had a hose thru the cars rear window anyway.

© ECN Electrical Forums