ECN Forum
Posted By: renosteinke A GOOD Working Space Violation? - 09/16/09 08:35 PM
Here is a pic of a panel I recently saw. The sump pit is more than 36" from the wall, but that discharge pipe does cross the required 'working space:'

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

Some might argue that having the pipe there is a good thing, as it will discourage folks from stacking stuff in front of the panel. Others might see the pit as blocking access to the panel. (FWIW, you can NOT stand on that pit cover). What say you?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: A GOOD Working Space Violation? - 09/16/09 10:56 PM
I would like to see a cover you could stand on but I would have a hard time citing it.
The pipe is a trip hazard tho and you do not have "clear space". That would need to be fixed
Posted By: ghost307 Re: A GOOD Working Space Violation? - 09/17/09 02:26 PM
I think that adding an elbow to the discharge pipe to kick it to the left would get it out of the way and get the trip-free workspace that we would all prefer.
The only tripping hazard then would be the cords to the sump pump, but I should think we be able to work around that easily enough.
BTW, in my stepfather's house we put the sump pit (with a sturdy cover) right in front of the panel...nothing ever got stored there.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: A GOOD Working Space Violation? - 09/17/09 06:41 PM
A more elegant solution would be a wooden platform (a pallet?) over the whole mess that would be removable to service the sump and give a good non-conductive work surface but that is far beyond what an inspector could request.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: A GOOD Working Space Violation? - 09/17/09 07:39 PM
The irony is that - whether you move the pipe orbuild a platform - you'll also make the place 'just rigt' for storing the Christmas decorations.
Posted By: electure Re: A GOOD Working Space Violation? - 09/17/09 08:08 PM
The Christmas decorations can be moved. The pipe is a permanent obstruction.

If there's going to be a workspace violation anyway, I'd rather move the Christmas decorations.

Either way this is not a "good" thing.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: A GOOD Working Space Violation? - 09/18/09 02:02 AM
An 'existing' condition in a large townhouse complex (+/- 350 units). The pit is there, the discharge is off to the right, so no trip. Some have Greg's idea of a 'platform', some have fitted covers that are part of the radon remediation, some have...nothing!

As Electure said...stored items can be moved, although it a pain in the butt; and two existing 'wrongs' can be corrected.
© ECN Electrical Forums