ECN Forum
Posted By: Ralpha494 LED Luminaires for a parking structure. - 07/31/08 12:49 AM
First time uploading pictures. Hope it works. These are pictures of two of the three kinds of LED luminaires we are installing in a hopefully Platinum LEED certified project. I'll explain if they show up.

[Linked Image from electricalphotos.com]

Posted By: HotLine1 Re: LED Luminaires for a parking structure. - 08/01/08 12:22 AM
Ralph:
You have a shot of the stem mounted units when they are installed?

Posted By: Zapped Re: LED Luminaires for a parking structure. - 08/01/08 01:29 PM
Nice looking fixtures Ralph, and thanks for posting. Please DO give us a review on performance and ease of installtion once you've hung those babies. I'd love to see what they've got!
Posted By: Wyernut1 Re: LED Luminaires for a parking structure. - 08/01/08 02:08 PM
My company just completed an installation of this same fixture line (Beta LED) here in Charlotte, NC. They were very easy to install, clean looking and they produce great lighting. The project scope was a one for one swap and included LED wallpacks, bollards and pole mounted fixtures. It's a great product line. The only drawback is that the fixtures are very expensive so the return on investment can take some time to recoup.

www.betaled.com
Posted By: mikesh Re: LED Luminaires for a parking structure. - 08/01/08 04:13 PM
Nice looking fixtures.
Our city electricians installed some LED street lights. 83 watts, only rated 50 to 75000 hours. very expensive and we figure we could never recover the cost in energy saving at 6 cents per KWH.
Some day these things will get cheap enough.
That looks like it is just a tad over 120 watts. How does the light output compare to LPS?
Posted By: RODALCO Re: LED Luminaires for a parking structure. - 08/01/08 10:46 PM
Interesting. Our council is gonna try LED streetlighting in two trial streets. They keep it secret for now. As soon I know where, I will take some photo's.

I would like to take a photo before with the HPS and after with the LED to compare the lighting levels.
No power yet for the luminaires. We temporaried them to see if the powers that be had any input. They didn't like the light hitting the bottom of the Spancrete, so we put on 6 inch stems. I'll take the camera in on Monday for the pictures of the stem mounts. The pole mounted ones were easy to assemble. Only needed a half inch socket, #2 Phillips, #2 Robertson, and a wire stripper. For $1,200.00 each they should assemble and hang themselves tho. It was weird seeing the sticker with the manufactured date of July 25,2008 on July 29,2008. But then again the plant is only twenty minutes down the freeway.
LED vs. Sodium? That's a no-brainer!

Let's see some comparisons against fluorescent (T8 and T5) and metal halide.

Ditto regarding the halogen lights used by road crews. Those lights seem to produce mainly glare to blind the motorist - or are they deliberately positioned that way?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: LED Luminaires for a parking structure. - 08/02/08 12:15 AM
Ralph:
$1200 each sounds pretty steep. I'm going to play around on the site with the payback calc as soon as time permits. I see from your mfg date label that they are in Sturtevent, close by to RUUD?? Looking forward to your pics next week.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: LED Luminaires for a parking structure. - 08/02/08 12:33 AM
To late to edit the above.
Poking around the linked site....interesting find is that Beta is affiliated/subsidiary of RUUD Ltg. That said...there can be NO question regarding quality or service. I base that statement on a long history of installing RUUD products. Still...$1200 for a parking structure luminaire sounds steep, and may be a tough sell
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: LED Luminaires for a parking structure. - 08/02/08 01:06 AM
Greg:
Did you go to the linked site? Comparison charts & a lot more than I have time to look/read thru now.

Seems like the 5 bar unit is comparable to a 250 watt MH lamp on average lumens. (There chart, not mine yet)

Amazing (from the chart) lumens equal to 400 HPS is 2x10 bars, and uses 12% MORE Wattage.
Posted By: leland Re: LED Luminaires for a parking structure. - 08/02/08 04:21 AM
Originally Posted by renosteinke
Those lights seem to produce mainly glare to blind the motorist - or are they deliberately positioned that way?

Well Yaa !!!!. "Speeding fines doubled in work zone"
(2/3rds of Ma. Is a work zone,And no progress).
God help you if your in an accident there (the work zone),(while the MANDATORY "Detail" trooper is making you safe (sleeping in his car with the radio and A/C on !!!) But I digress... As usual.

Never mind....
I have not seen the $1200 fixtures yet, or have knowledge of them..Sounds good tho.

Finished pics and #s would be cool!!
Views from the Parking Structure:

Posted By: Zapped Re: LED Luminaires for a parking structure. - 08/12/08 12:42 PM
I think they look nice. I would love to see them at night.

BTW, nice EMT work Ralph. Very fluid installation. Good work!
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: LED Luminaires for a parking structure. - 08/12/08 07:20 PM
Ralph:
Thanks for the installed pics.
Nice PVC job!
Posted By: Samurai Re: LED Luminaires for a parking structure. - 11/29/08 10:00 PM
Great pics and info.
As large commercial projects continue, the rest of the market will follow and LEDs will get easier and easier to get along with much better prices for the rest of us.
The LED vs. incandescent power will probably always astonish me and right now so does the price for household LED replacements (still a funny color, but theres a lighting co who claim they have the color issue worked out.)
© ECN Electrical Forums