ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Edison Base Current Tap With Pull Chain - 10/30/07 01:18 AM
This is not an unusual item, But this one shows a disregard for safety by using a 2 to 3 prong adapter to plug in a 3 prong device.

- Peter Y

[Linked Image]
The label directly below it tells the story...

Ian A.
I have a number of these. lol
The instering part is that when they ran the tap adpator on it and i did see one went up smoke when one guy ran the electric heater and got them so hot.

If that was used with the pullchain keyless socket the switch itself is not very good rating and cant take very good load at all [ AFAIK most are rated about 660 watts max ]

i have one or two laying around here but not used for long time

Merci, Marc
Posted By: jdevlin Re: Edison Base Current Tap With Pull Chain - 10/30/07 07:20 PM
Made in China says it all.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Edison Base Current Tap With Pull Chain - 10/30/07 08:31 PM
OK, put two together, and add a screwshell to 2 prong adaptor and....5 'outlets'!
Originally Posted by HotLine1
OK, put two together, and add a screwshell to 2 prong adaptor and....5 'outlets'!

Then multiply that by 6 outlets per power strip plugged into said "outlets..."

I smell smoke already.

Ian A.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Edison Base Current Tap With Pull Chain - 10/31/07 12:25 AM
Hope you didn't pay more than one dollar for that thing. I've seen them here in the 99 cent stores.
Here's a variant of this tap (no switch on it)

[Linked Image from home.centurytel.net]
Posted By: mamills Re: Edison Base Current Tap With Pull Chain - 10/31/07 01:59 PM
I also have a bunch of these things in my collection - more as a curiosity than anything else, since I never use them. I did, however, see a house one time (while on an EMS call) where THREE of these things were screwed into one of those porcelain keyless lampholders in the middle of the living room ceiling. Extension cords were plugged into this outfit and "radiated" out to every corner of the room, and then some. I was too horrified to look much further to see what was plugged into this mess. And surprisingly enough, we have not yet had a fire call at this residence...but I can smell it coming.

Mike (mamills)
Originally Posted by mamills
I also have a bunch of these things in my collection - more as a curiosity than anything else, since I never use them. I did, however, see a house one time (while on an EMS call) where THREE of these things were screwed into one of those porcelain keyless lampholders in the middle of the living room ceiling. Extension cords were plugged into this outfit and "radiated" out to every corner of the room, and then some. I was too horrified to look much further to see what was plugged into this mess. And surprisingly enough, we have not yet had a fire call at this residence...but I can smell it coming.

Mike (mamills)

At the risk of being lynched, I do have one of these in use in the closet socket (I never use a light in there anyways, so there's no bulb in it). It's used to connect two small strings of christmas lights which line my doorways (so I can just flip em on/off by the wall switch). Although I should just use a Y adaptor and two of those screw shell adaptors. There's nothing more than those two strings of mini-lights plugged into it.
Originally Posted by SvenNYC
Hope you didn't pay more than one dollar for that thing. I've seen them here in the 99 cent stores.

I did not buy it I saw it forsale on eBay with all of the other unsafe electrical stuff the sellers can come up with to try to make a buck

- Peter
I must confess, I've used these to run christmas lights from a porch light. Thankfully, few people know they exist, or it would be a lot more widespread. At least people like us realize those light fixtures were only designed for 0.5A worth of 60W bulbs, and we refrain from plugging more than 5 or 6 strings of lights into them.
Originally Posted by SteveFehr
I must confess, I've used these to run christmas lights from a porch light. Thankfully, few people know they exist, or it would be a lot more widespread. At least people like us realize those light fixtures were only designed for 0.5A worth of 60W bulbs, and we refrain from plugging more than 5 or 6 strings of lights into them.

Back in FL, alot of people used these to connect a string of christmas lights to post lamps. Purpose of this was to wrap said lights around said lamp post.
These are available at the local Ace or Orange Box store for about $1.50. I suspect their use is more common than we notice.
Seen them in the Orange Box store here today, along with the infamous Y adaptors, and the edison to plug adaptors. Safe only if used RIGHT I'm sure.
I use them too. Usually to run an extra light, temporarily of course. I haave used them in the bar to power a radio, so it goes on and off with the lights, not to mention their not being a receptical handy where I want to place the radio.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Edison Base Current Tap With Pull Chain - 11/08/07 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by mamills
where THREE of these things were screwed into one of those porcelain keyless lampholders in the middle of the living room ceiling. Extension cords were plugged into this outfit and "radiated" out to every corner of the room, and then some.

There are still dwellings where the only available "receptacle" is one of those taps screwed into a lamp socket dangling from, or screwed to, the ceiling.

I use one over my workbench for the light. I installed a surface mount porcelain receptacle on the underside of a shelf and needed a switch to turn the bulb on and off. Presto. And when the chain finally pulls out of the device -- as they often do -- you just replace and chuck out the old one. smile

And before any of you go after me with the electric cattle prods, no, it's not one of those open-terminal cleat lampholders. It's got a porcelain collar that screws over the base to cover the terminal screws all nice and proper like. crazy
Sven: I'm not sure I've seen one of those. How about a picture?
Posted By: techie Re: Edison Base Current Tap With Pull Chain - 11/09/07 02:38 AM
like this one? http://www.doityourself.com/invt/u248583
Techie: Thanks. I've never used one like that. I go way back with the "flying saucer" types, though. Interesting.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Edison Base Current Tap With Pull Chain - 11/10/07 04:33 PM
Techie, that's exactly the one! smile
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Edison Base Current Tap With Pull Chain - 11/10/07 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by Webmaster
But this one shows a disregard for safety by using a 2 to 3 prong adapter to plug in a 3 prong device.

- Peter Y

[Linked Image]

Someone could unwisely skip the 3 to 2 prong adaptor like someone did here: :-(
http://www.electricalphotos.com/showphoto.php/photo/55
[Linked Image from electricalphotos.com]
Now watch that ground prong go the wrong way and hit a live pin in the other outlet! *KA-POW!*
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Edison Base Current Tap With Pull Chain - 11/11/07 05:43 PM
Not to mention they ruined a nice old "collectible" triple tap. frown

Yeah, the flying saucers are still around too. I have one in my bedroom ceiling. Only problem with those is you need a box, they're not exactly designed for surface mounting, although I've seen some people do that -- with the exposed terminal screws touching against the plaster wall or ceiling.

Did that more than once or twice when I was a kid, too.
© ECN Electrical Forums