ECN Forum
Posted By: pauluk UK -- Could be better! - 06/06/07 12:12 PM
Saw this on the outside of a diner. It's a retro-styled place with red and blue neons all around and polished stainless steel sides.

The shape of the steel walls makes fitting things a little awkward, but I'm sure this could have been done better. There are several weatherproof outlets installed around the outside of building in the same way:

[Linked Image]

This is right by the beach of a seaside town, alongside the pier, kiddies playground, and so on. There's a central CCTV monitoring building close by which appears to provide surveillance for the whole area. As far as I can make out, these are the CCTV cables which run from the diner back to the central building a few yards away:

[Linked Image]

This blow-up from a different angle emphasizes how from the mast to the point of entry the cables are just hanging loose:

[Linked Image]

Click here to see a large overall picture of the place, cameras visible mounted on the roof.

Posted By: EV607797 Re: UK -- Could be better! - 06/06/07 02:22 PM
Paul: I always enjoy your pics!
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: UK -- Could be better! - 06/07/07 12:05 AM
Paul:
Sure looks like one of our famous "Jersey Diners"! Stainless steel, neon,neon & more neon, chrome, vinyl stools at the formica counter!

Lately, granite counter, plush seating, & menu's that rival a lot of resturants.

Sadly, a lot of them are no longer with us, I remember a few that were sold & transported to Germany & somewhere else in Europe.

BTW, IF anyone installed cabling like that here (at a diner) it would not be there long. Diners are a favorite stop for ALL AHJ's here!!

Take care, stay safe

John
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: UK -- Could be better! - 06/08/07 07:29 PM
That ice cream company seems to be universal in Europe... in Germany it's named Langnese, in Austria Eskimo, In Italy and the Czech Republic Algida,... in the picture it looks like "Wally" or "Wall's"...
Posted By: pauluk Re: UK -- Could be better! - 06/10/07 11:42 AM
Sure looks like one of our famous "Jersey Diners"! Stainless steel, neon,neon & more neon, chrome, vinyl stools at the formica counter!

Yep, this is a somewhat unusual place for England, but it just screams "Retro-American" to everybody. And I could hear real rock'n'roll drifting out the door -- I mean proper 1950s rock, not the modern garbage they try to call rock that isn't! (Although they were playing British rock'n'roll at the time I took the photos -- Tommy Steele for those who know who he is.)

I must go down there to have a meal sometime and try the place properly. smile

in the picture it looks like "Wally" or "Wall's"...

It's the latter. Wall's ice cream has been a favorite here for decades.

http://www.walls.co.uk/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall's_ice_cream
Posted By: sparkydudeuk Re: UK -- Could be better! - 06/10/07 01:38 PM
What exactly is the problem with the masterseal socket in the first picture, apart from the SWA cables being a bit drunk, thats the way most sparks would do it. How else would you make 2 20mm glands off into one 20mm knockout without affecting the IP Rating. The box is sealed and has a gasket by the looks of it , so is fine and as its a single socket must be protected by an RCD inside the premises so no shock risk there.

Nick
Posted By: Kenbo Re: UK -- Could be better! - 06/10/07 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by sparkydudeuk
What exactly is the problem with the masterseal socket in the first picture, apart from the SWA cables being a bit drunk, thats the way most sparks would do it. How else would you make 2 20mm glands off into one 20mm knockout without affecting the IP Rating. The box is sealed and has a gasket by the looks of it , so is fine and as its a single socket must be protected by an RCD inside the premises so no shock risk there.

Nick

I would say the galvi box underneath may not sealed with a gasket (cant see without inspecting closer)
SWA presents a potential trip hazard (should be secured against building) Just my oppinion.
Posted By: noderaser Re: UK -- Could be better! - 06/11/07 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by Texas_Ranger
That ice cream company seems to be universal in Europe... in Germany it's named Langnese, in Austria Eskimo, In Italy and the Czech Republic Algida,... in the picture it looks like "Wally" or "Wall's"...

The logo is the same as Good Humor (US), whose parent company is Unilever, which owns a number of ice cream and food brands worldwide.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: UK -- Could be better! - 06/11/07 07:11 AM
Unilever does explain a lot...
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: UK -- Could be better! - 06/11/07 10:41 AM
No wonder it all tastes like soap!
Walls make sausages too. Paul, do you remember Prince, the dog that said 'sausages' on the 'Thats Life' tv show?
[ He's on youtube,BTW, search Google. ]
He got a contract from Walls to advertise their products on tv!
Today, of course, they'd lip sinc. any old mutt for the job.
It's a wonder Unilever didn't sign up the 'That's Life' dog that did the dish washing too, to promote Fairly Liquid! laugh

Alan
Posted By: pauluk Re: UK -- Could be better! - 06/11/07 11:31 AM
The galvanized box has a gasket under the lid, but what I find tacky is the way that the whole assembly is just fixed on at an angle, leaving a gap at the bottom of the Masterseal socket and the conduit box just held back against the wall by the socket and the cables.

As I said, it's awkward because of the shaped stainless steel cladding. I would have thought that fixing a small steel plate across to give a flat surface for the socket and box would have made this much neater.

Walls make sausages too.

Ooh, yes.... Wall's bangers! Just the sort of thing you'd get at one of the many other more-British-looking cafes across the street from this place, probably with fried eggs, chips and beans. Musn't forget the brown sauce either! smile

Paul, do you remember Prince, the dog that said 'sausages' on the 'Thats Life' tv show

Definitely. Was that before or after the beer-drinking snail?
© ECN Electrical Forums