ECN Forum
Aprils Fools, a little late smile

Jon AKA Walrus

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
It snowed all day after that pic was taken. Power lines down all over the place although I never lost my power. We probably had 16 - 18 inches when it was all said and done. The ground was bare before this stormeek
The pix show one reason why I'm not commuting to Bangor these days, though I did kind of hope this sort of thing was past for 2007. mad

Here in Belfast, Maine, we had about 12 inches or so, without the garnish of freezing rain we sometimes get along the coast. whistle
lessee, it hit about 70 in Seattle today, I'm sure glad I'm not in Maine

-Will "enjoying the sun" D.
76F at PDX today...

Been a wierd winter, my parents (who live east of the cascades) have gotten about 1/4 of the snow they usually do (usually about 4'), while in Portland we got 3"--which hasn't happened in a good 10 years. Of course, back in the 50s and 60s, Portland would get a good foot of snow. Climate change is a funny animal...

I'd like to see a New England winter for myself one of these days. While in NH last summer I was rather puzzled, as the ski area I was working at had all of their signs at normal level (eye height). All of the signs at ski areas around here are a good 10' off the dry ground. Has this been an abnormally heavy snow year for you guys, or was I just in an odd area?
The past few years we've started really cold weather later and spring has in turn come later. Hasn't been a particularly snowy winter but this was a big storm. Another is predicted for later in the week and so far they are saying snoweek.
Depends on where you were in NH, most ski areas depend on man made snow. Unless you are really far north you won't see huge natural snow totals. Northern Maine is still prime for snowmobilers.
I was at Attitash Bear Peak, a short drive from Mt. Washington on US 302... Which, based on my basic understanding of the state's geography, is somewhere in central NH. I did notice all the water lines for the snowmaking equipmet, but all the local's tales about rough winters and lots of snow made me somewhat suspicious.

NE is a very nice region, although I wasn't expecting quite so much humidity in the summer--although it got drier and cooler later on in the season. I would even be willing to go back this summer to work with the same company, but graduation takes precedence.
What's worrying, since most all our vegetables are now planted, is that we generally get New England's weather 2 or 3 weeks later. Usually it goes north of here to England or Scotland but just occasionally.....

Great shots! We got about the same down here in Sebago. My power was ok, but a limb took out a service drop next door....

Grov
I'm not shilling for VANITY FAIR magazine (see other comment about electric rides), but their current issue contains a lot of global warming stuff. One particular climate "expert" is concerned that disruptions in the gulf stream could reduce or negate the warming effect it brings to New England and the British Isles. The scare warning is the threat of a mini-Ice-Age for us northern types. I don't believe he said what might happen in Canada. shocked
Ha, its snowing again smile
About 8" so far in Sebago......

Grov
We got about 20 inches that storm, still great sledding up here! Rumor has it we're in for a couple of feet more this weekend. I'm sick of the white stuff for now!
Flamethrower...
Snowing straight down right now. We're looking at at least 2 feet of wet snow. Yay!
I just got a call from the folks in NH, wanting to know if I'd come back this summer... I can't, but the job would start in June; wonder if there will still be some snow then?

I wish it snowed more often on this side of the mountains.
Well we are having unusually high temperatures here in Scotland. Seen snow here in April before but not this year.
Scotland hotter than Spain
It's lovely here in Norfolk (eastern England) at the moment -- Up into the 60s, bright sunshine, just a slight breeze. It's forecast to be cooler by the end of the week though, down nearer the average for the time of year.

Best spring weather here since '93 and forecast to be fine for at least the next 4 days.

Alan
I got 5.5 inches of rain and my backyard has more water than Levittown Lake. (My house literally sits at the bottom of the Fall Line, end of the Ocean plane, first step to the mountain, whatever you want to call it.) And of course, I sit in the valley of 'Birch Valley.'

^&*)#%#& Nor'easters.

Ian A.
Still snowing...I'm trying to remember why I live here.
Some of us came here for a job offer, or for relatively clean air, or because we had family here. It was all 3 for me originally. Well, the air is still relatively clean. 1 left out 3 beats nothing, I guess. frown

On the plus side, the mean Nor'easter storm didn't make much trouble here in Belfast the last few days. Fortunate were we, as Yoda might say. whistle
An ole college pal called me this am. He was in Huntington beach Ca.
It was 74 degrees and he said it is always around that temp.
He also said that there are 36 lane highways. I don't know, I think I'd rather deal with the New England wheather
Hendrix, your buddy is pulling your leg laugh

SoCa's got one interchange that's 26 lanes, (including off ramps and truck bypass lanes) wide called the El Toro "Y". It gets nearly 400,000 cars a day. There are a couple of tollroads that parallel it a couple of miles away as well.
It's been in the 60s in Huntington Beach. The sun breaks through the marine cloud cover about 10AM-Noon, and will do so probably through July.

Still beats the heck out of the cold IMO....Brrrrr smile

Originally Posted by Retired_Helper
Some of us came here for a job offer, or for relatively clean air, or because we had family here. It was all 3 for me originally. Well, the air is still relatively clean. 1 left out 3 beats nothing, I guess. frown

On the plus side, the mean Nor'easter storm didn't make much trouble here in Belfast the last few days. Fortunate were we, as Yoda might say. whistle

Oh, I'm just griping. I grew up in Searsmont, and after living all over the US, I never found anywhere that comes close to Maine. I have two brothers in Searsport, and a family home in Northport. My brother said they weren't hit too bad, I'm going down tonight to see how much water is in the basement.
© ECN Electrical Forums