ECN Forum
Posted By: pauluk Downed lines - 02/07/07 12:32 AM
No idea when or where this took place, except obviously somewhere in the U.S. and some place which has a causeway (sign visible on gantry arm, right):

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Downed lines - 02/07/07 01:03 AM
It's not California or Nevada, just from the way the signals are mounted to the crossarms.. But they are mounted like that in quite a few states... (Some reason I wanna say "Florida or maybe eastern Washington, but I'm likely wrong...)

Either way, this is a hell of a mess! [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Downed lines - 02/07/07 01:45 AM
Somehow I was thinking causeways, hurricane damage...... Maybe Florida or somewhere around the Gulf Coast?

Fla. seemed to be span-wire mounting with yellow signals when I was there, but that was a good few years ago. Checking here:
http://signalfan.tripod.com/east.htm

says that the state has recently started using this style of mounting.
Posted By: LarryC Re: Downed lines - 02/07/07 03:38 AM
Just speculating ...

recent Florida storm?
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Downed lines - 02/07/07 08:07 AM
Imagine going to work and seeing that!

It makes cleaning up the old wires on an Add-A-Level look like a walk in the park compared to linemen have to do.
Posted By: screwi Re: Downed lines - 02/07/07 09:27 AM
Looks like a car or truck hit it, are those marks anything to do with it on the road?

[This message has been edited by screwi (edited 02-07-2007).]
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: Downed lines - 02/07/07 12:17 PM
There appears to be wind damage to the roof of the closest building on the right. Plus, there are more poles downed further down the street. We have signs like that here in VA, but haven't had any serious storms in quite a while. NC, perhaps? Florida seems most likely, as they were hardest hit this year.

[This message has been edited by SteveFehr (edited 02-07-2007).]
Posted By: IanR Re: Downed lines - 02/07/07 02:40 PM
That intersection looks very familiar. It reminds me of an intersection on US1 in Vero Beach FL. The next time I'm down that way, I'll look for it.
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Downed lines - 02/07/07 05:34 PM
Hmm, black signals with black backplates, mounted on mast-arms (as they're called), and a heck of a lot of downed poles (look in the background), I'll say Florida!

Look at the last (?) picture under "FLORIDA" on the site Paul linked to, that uses black signals on mast-arms.

The sign on the arm is an ordinary street sign. [Linked Image]

Ian A.

[This message has been edited by Theelectrikid (edited 02-07-2007).]

[This message has been edited by Theelectrikid (edited 02-07-2007).]
Posted By: Elviscat Re: Downed lines - 02/08/07 11:28 PM
it could well be Western Washngton after the larger windstorm we had in December
-will
Posted By: Hemingray Re: Downed lines - 02/08/07 11:45 PM
Judging from the transformers, location of cutouts, and crossarms, This looks like a pole belonging to Entergy, which could be in either AR, LA, TX or MS?
Posted By: yaktx Re: Downed lines - 02/10/07 03:46 AM
I'm gonna make a wild guess and say east coast, since the building with the steep gray mansard roof has a sign that appears to advertise "gyros". (Greek food is much more common on the east coast.)

And yeah, I'd rule out vehicle damage, since there are two poles down on the other side of the street, and there's the major damage to the green roof on the left.
Posted By: RobbieD Re: Downed lines - 02/11/07 02:23 AM
Its probably at the corner of W Espanade Ave N and N Causeway Blvd in Metairie LA.

Did a google map search and found a gyro place at the corner and a shell station up from it like in the picture. Just had to look for it because of all the guesses.

[This message has been edited by RobbieD (edited 02-10-2007).]
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Downed lines - 02/11/07 03:39 AM
Metarie, LA? So this would likely be in a Katrina-damaged area.

Peter
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Downed lines - 02/11/07 03:42 AM
Judging from the transformers, location of cutouts, and crossarms, This looks like a pole belonging to Entergy, which could be in either AR, LA, TX or MS?

Only on ECN could someone identify a utility pole like that. [Linked Image]

Peter
Posted By: Hemingray Re: Downed lines - 02/12/07 02:55 AM
I can also tell by the covers on the transformers' primary bushings. Entergy uses those on transformers all over AR.
© ECN Electrical Forums