ECN Forum
Posted By: renosteinke Another original way to hang 4" - 08/07/06 09:25 PM
The general contractor decided to run some 4" PVC above the ceiling. Please note how he hung the pipe.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by renosteinke (edited 08-07-2006).]
Posted By: mahlere Re: Another original way to hang 4" - 08/07/06 10:13 PM
no pics reno
Posted By: Elviscat Re: Another original way to hang 4" - 08/07/06 10:26 PM
what gauge is that metal? it doesn't look like plumbers tape or anything.... all smooth and shiny, if I didn't know better I'd say it a strip off of a beer can.... please tell me it's not that.
-Will

[This message has been edited by Elviscat (edited 08-07-2006).]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Another original way to hang 4" - 08/08/06 12:01 AM
OOPS! I'm still new at this...so thanks for the help- and the patience!
Posted By: iwire Re: Another original way to hang 4" - 08/08/06 12:04 AM
Just a wild guess but that looks to be air tube for a vacuum delivery system.

Like this

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 08-07-2006).]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Another original way to hang 4" - 08/08/06 03:54 AM
The metal straps are made of the strapping HVAC guys use to hang flex duct.

The pipe is used, not for electric work, but to route hoses for the soda dispenser.
Posted By: jeepmudman Re: Another original way to hang 4" - 08/08/06 07:28 AM
The thing I noticed was the slope the pipe was dropping in elevation, like a drain pipe.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Another original way to hang 4" - 08/08/06 01:51 PM
Jeep, the line is pretty level; the ceiling has a good slope, though! (It may look like a floor, but that is actually the roof above the pipe). Either that, or a trick of the camera angle.
Posted By: giddonah Re: Another original way to hang 4" - 08/08/06 03:10 PM
If it's not for electrical, and the metal straps hold, is there a problem or are we just chuckling over his methods?
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Another original way to hang 4" - 08/09/06 12:50 AM
G, with another thread active, about some 4" falling down, I thought these pics were of interest.

You're right, I took them simply because of his original method of hanging the pipe. I have posted several similar threads before.

I also placed the pics here, and not in the violation forum, because.... even if for electrical conduit, I'm not sure this is actually a code violation!
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Another original way to hang 4" - 08/10/06 11:15 PM
Reno:
'Straps' are a tough subject. I've had a few debates over time, here and OTJ. Mfg instr/dir are to be followed, and the item should be suitable for the use. That's another thread at another time guys, please.

I see your concern; soda dispenser lines carry liquids and CO, liquid has weight, the whole thing may fail & be on the grid! I would have to give this to the Building AHJ, as you said...it's not electric.

John
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Another original way to hang 4" - 08/11/06 05:13 AM
What the issue would be if it were plumber's tape holding up conduit? After all, plumber's tape is used to hold up cast iron pipe that is very heavy, and may be full of water to boot, so it certainly provides adequate support. Is it just that it's not listed to support electrical conduit? If so, where exactly do you draw the line?--the rafters aren't listed to support electrical conduit, either.

Conduit is listed for electrical use. The building's structure is not listed. Somewhere along the way between the two you transition from listed to non-listed items.
© ECN Electrical Forums