ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Hendersonville, NC Service - 08/04/06 02:10 AM
Took this on 7/26/06. Not the worst I've seen ... but "interesting". Notice the creative custom trough cover.

Steve Miller
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Av-guy Re: Hendersonville, NC Service - 08/04/06 02:52 AM
Is it OK to have gas meter near that service entrace? I think I'd see a big fireball when the service faulted. [Linked Image]
Posted By: energy7 Re: Hendersonville, NC Service - 08/04/06 07:01 PM
Q?
How and where do you get grounding for each service in this menagerie?
Posted By: circuit man Re: Hendersonville, NC Service - 08/04/06 09:54 PM
heck, how do ya get the meter in the third meter can to the right of the wiring gutter. looks like some handyman work!
Posted By: trobb Re: Hendersonville, NC Service - 08/04/06 11:25 PM
(O/T) Or how you get the gas meter installed? I hear those things can weigh quite a bit.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Hendersonville, NC Service - 08/06/06 02:19 AM
Just a slight workspace violation with the metercan on the right side wall of the alcove.... [Linked Image] This and the creative feed going to the 2 rightmost meters would never fly here, along with either that door is really short, or that top meter is wayyy above the 6'6" rule we have here..

BTW, while its brought up, why is the gas meter 8' in the air???
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Hendersonville, NC Service - 08/06/06 03:22 AM
heck, how do ya get the meter in the third meter can to the right of the wiring gutter. looks like some handyman work!

It does look rather "hack-like". [Linked Image]
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Hendersonville, NC Service - 08/06/06 10:49 PM
May have had a plumber electrician here [Linked Image]

Gasmeter is a little close near potential ignition source.
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Hendersonville, NC Service - 08/06/06 11:24 PM
Isn't there supposed to be a master disconnect if there's more than 6 meters? ANd shouldn't there be, if it was only 6 meters, disconnects for each service? I'm assuming that the power source is coming in from below.
Posted By: JBJQEP Re: Hendersonville, NC Service - 08/11/06 05:17 PM
My first reaction was the proximity of the gas meter as well. I find it hard to believe that the building inspector and/or fire marshall is allowing this to remain as is. Can you say "Building Codes?" Great picture!
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Hendersonville, NC Service - 08/11/06 10:40 PM
I'm most surprised by the position of the gas meter. If this is a standard door, I'd guess the meter to be some 6' above ground, and no gas company I know of would allow that! The meter reader needs a ladder in that case...
Posted By: mbhydro Re: Hendersonville, NC Service - 08/11/06 11:30 PM
It looks like there a distribution manifold of two rows of gas meters installed for this building to the left of the service entrance.

There is a locked off meter shutoff valve to the left of the one we see and just in the top left of the picture you can see the bottom corner of another gas meter.

If it blew up it will be a big one.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Hendersonville, NC Service - 08/12/06 01:32 PM
Yup... that's more gas meters!
What gas company on earth allows (or even put) meters in front of a window??? With meters you should think the utility was involved in some way!
Posted By: rlc3854 Re: Hendersonville, NC Service - 08/13/06 02:36 AM
What you don't see is the sloped roadway. The first gas meter is only 55 inches obove the surface. The main electrical disconnect and sub-disconnects are mounted in the verical concrete vault.
Posted By: watthead Re: Hendersonville, NC Service - 08/15/06 05:06 PM
Is this thing underhead or overground feed?
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Hendersonville, NC Service - 08/16/06 03:53 AM
Look at the two LB's in the lower center.
© ECN Electrical Forums