ECN Forum
Posted By: Scott35 Anyone Like Barbequed Wirenuts??? - 06/10/06 10:29 AM
A new way to serve Wirenuts - Barbequed! [Linked Image]

This was found in a 4S Box, along with a few others - which disintegrated at the slightest touch!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This was from a job done back in 2004.
As I was cleaning out a few "Archive Boxes" today, ran across this little guy.
Had to post a few Pics' of it for the gang at ECN to laugh at.

Throw Some More Wirenuts On The Grill, We Have Visitors!!!

Scott35
Posted By: Redsy Re: Anyone Like Barbequed Wirenuts??? - 06/10/06 02:06 PM
I have seen similar results when someone used standard wirenuts to connect copper to aluminum.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Anyone Like Barbequed Wirenuts??? - 06/10/06 03:14 PM
Don't you have any barbequed yellow wirenuts for those of us who don't like the taste of red ones? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Rewired Re: Anyone Like Barbequed Wirenuts??? - 06/10/06 05:27 PM
I have seen that a few times, Actually pulled a light down in a closet once and found one glowing orange hot!

A.D

P.S Scott: in the background of the first picture.. I see something to do with a swing on a tree.. a " bashing" of sorts towards engineers... Do you have a copy of that on your computer by chance???

[This message has been edited by Rewired (edited 06-10-2006).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Anyone Like Barbequed Wirenuts??? - 06/10/06 07:44 PM
Crikey Scott,
That has got rather warm.
Just goes to show how much power dissipation there is in a poorly made connection. [Linked Image]
Paul,
Don't you have any barbequed yellow wirenuts for those of us who don't like the taste of red ones?
A commonly heard phrase when I was growing up was:
You'll have what you're given and you'll like it too!. [Linked Image]
Go to http://www.sparky308.com/public%20files/ and download the file called "installing a PA system". It is that picture.

I remember being in an old theater once that had ceramic wirenuts. That wouldn't have happened with them. What caused this?
Posted By: pauluk Re: Anyone Like Barbequed Wirenuts??? - 06/12/06 02:38 PM
remember being in an old theater once that had ceramic wirenuts

Ceramic wirenuts were used in Britain years ago as well, one brand name being "Screw-Its."
Posted By: Rewired Re: Anyone Like Barbequed Wirenuts??? - 06/12/06 09:42 PM
Napervillesoundtech:
Thank you for the link.. My friends will get a good laugh outta that!!!

Pauluk:
"screw-its"????? NICE... wish I had a box of "those" last friday, one per work order I was given!!

A.D
Posted By: e57 Re: Anyone Like Barbequed Wirenuts??? - 06/15/06 12:46 AM
BTW I love that tree drawing above in pic #1.

But these are that only red things I like BBQ'ed.

[Linked Image from markhellerelectric.com]
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Anyone Like Barbequed Wirenuts??? - 06/15/06 01:53 AM
I have a ceramic octagon box. It has brass inserts for the 8-32's.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Anyone Like Barbequed Wirenuts??? - 06/17/06 08:33 AM
Paul:

Don't you have any barbequed yellow wirenuts for those of us who don't like the taste of red ones? [Linked Image]

Sorry, but they only came in the "RED' Flavor on that Job! [Linked Image]

However, a few were roasted so much, they may have at one time been Yellow
(i.e.: the Yellow Flames dancing on them!!! [Linked Image]...)

Rewired:

P.S Scott: in the background of the first picture.. I see something to do with a swing on a tree.. a " bashing" of sorts towards engineers... Do you have a copy of that on your computer by chance???

I've had that laying around for a while (in hard copy and digital forms).
Not sure where it came from, or even where it's original Bitmapped entity is hiding within the Clusters Archived on our LAN
(Home Office LAN... kind of needs an Acronym of its own - maybe something eluding to the "Lack Of Total Work Acheivable" at a Home/Office should be created).

If I find it, I'll post it somewhere here at ECN for more laughs.

The complete page has the Tree-Swing Assemblidge shown in:
* Schematic Design,
* Design Developement,
* Construction Documents,
* By Addendum,
* As-Built,
* And what the Owner actually wanted.

The Locomotive and "Semi-Accurate" Tree design document are on my Workstation at Home.

Had several Architects rolling on the floor from that one!
They come by to either drop off plans, or pick-up completed E-sheets, and get subjected to things like this!

It's kind of nice to "Offer a different environment" to such Persons, as opposed to the very sterile and non humorous settings of the typical EE Firm - which is somewhat commonly seen.
Makes for a relaxed, unpressured visit; and the silly stuff mixed in with the serious stuff has generated quite a few hard to forget conversations.

Now, if I could just find a good way to mount the fried wirenut above the tip of my Puck (Digitizer Puck), that would be cool!!!

Scott35
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Anyone Like Barbequed Wirenuts??? - 06/18/06 03:16 AM

Hey, Rewired, click here: http://www.dcengineers.com/downloads/As_Built.pdf

[This message has been edited by Larry Fine (edited 06-17-2006).]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Anyone Like Barbequed Wirenuts??? - 06/19/06 04:30 PM
What kind of beer goes best with the red wirenuts?

Or do you prefer a nice wine? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Rewired Re: Anyone Like Barbequed Wirenuts??? - 06/19/06 11:49 PM
Larry:
Thank you for the link!

A.D
Posted By: Hutch Re: Anyone Like Barbequed Wirenuts??? - 06/24/06 06:37 AM
Paul, they still do sell “screw-its” in South Africa (not quite the same idiom outside of North America [Linked Image] ). I used them to rewire a household stove (range) where they were intended to get a little hot.

What’s the significance of the locomotive Scott ? You realise that it is the Mallard – still the current holder of the world speed record for a steam locomotive – 126 mph and set in the UK in 1938.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Anyone Like Barbequed Wirenuts??? - 06/24/06 11:51 AM
Hutch:

What’s the significance of the locomotive Scott ?

I am one of those "Ferro Equine Phials" (AKA: "Foamers", "Railbuffs", or "Railfans") types, and have many Railroad related items surrounding my Workstation.
As much that can fit without taking up too much Work ready Real Estate, that is!

The 4-6-2 "L.N.E.R. Mallard" in the first pic, is carved from Wood, and was given to me by my Parents on my 41st Birthday.

It's a really nice looking carving! Size is very close to "HO Scale" for Model Railroads (apx. 1:87.1 Scale Size).

As to why it's in the picture, it just happened to be in the right place at the right time.
[Linked Image]
Actually, I wanted to see if anyone would identify or mention it in this thread.

You realize that it is the Mallard

Good Eyes, dude!
It's hard for me to see what it is, and I took the picture! [Linked Image]

BTW, are you a Fellow Railfan too?

We have some Railroad related stuff posted in a few areas of ECN, mostly equipment from the U.S.; so if you haven't seen any of this stuff yet, do a little searching in the following forum areas:

* Photos Submitted For Discussion (this area),

* General Discussion Area,

* Electrical Theory and Applications,

* Technical Reference Area.

Scott35

p.s.:
"Ferro Equine Phials"
translates into
"Iron Horse Lovers" -
a slang term given to Railfans by Railroad "Old Timers" (the crews of the Steam era & 1st to mid 2nd Generation Diesel era).
Posted By: Hutch Re: Anyone Like Barbequed Wirenuts??? - 06/24/06 08:37 PM
Scott, One is indeed a rail fan.

It’s an incurable condition – instilled at an early age. I’ve never tried getting over it!

It probably started before this:

[Linked Image from homepage.ntlworld.com]

A very young Hutch is on the footplate of 70013 ‘Oliver Cromwell’ on the very last British Railways steam hauled train – 15th August 1968. Why he’s looking so bl**dy miserable in this photo is a different story!

[This message has been edited by Hutch (edited 06-24-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Hutch (edited 06-25-2006).]
© ECN Electrical Forums