ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin More Sloppy Work - 05/04/06 02:51 AM
This slop job is right outside of Philly in Ridley Park. A builder called me and asked if I could help him finish this house. The EC closed his business and stuck him.

- HCE727
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mamills Re: More Sloppy Work - 05/04/06 07:03 PM
Where do you start to criticize something like this (and mind you, I'm not an electrician):
- What is the reason for all the holes punched in the ceiling? Clumsy footwork, bad initial placement of the ceiling cans, etc.?
- What's wrong with having two switches that are so close together mounted on a two-gang plaster ring, rather than separate boxes (and, as it appears, not even at the same height)?
- The sloppy, unsecured home runs to the breaker panel, and even the wiring inside it, have all the appearance of a poor temporary job at best. We have seen on this forum how neatly this work CAN be done by someone who cares about his workmanship. I see numerous white wires connected to breakers without being re-identified, and the panel itself seems awfully full for a new home, with very little room left for future additions. While this is a small thing, the installation of the service receptacle without using a close nipple or an offset really looks cheap.
- I don't know much about the service entrance cable from the meter to the panel inside, but using conduit in this space seems a much better choice, and probably a lot safer. Is the main breaker in the panel, in fact, the only main disconnect, or is there one next to the meter outside?
- I don't have a table for figuring wire fill, but it's even obvious to me that this box is way over the limit. Seeing six wirenuts in this box, including one on a single white wire, makes me think that the ex-EC even did a poor job of laying out this circuit.

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: wa2ise Re: More Sloppy Work - 05/04/06 09:05 PM
Too many breakers in that panel, yes? I think I see 43 breakers, and if I recall correctly the code's limit is 42.
Posted By: mahlere Re: More Sloppy Work - 05/04/06 11:09 PM
best thing that guy did was go out of business
Posted By: techie Re: More Sloppy Work - 05/04/06 11:47 PM
I count 44 breakers. (25 on the left, including 5 twins, 19 on the right including 2 twins.)

It looks like all the white wires connected to breakers are neutrals going to GFI or AFCI devices, and their associated pigtails, with the exception of 10/2 going to the dual 30 at the bottom right.

[This message has been edited by techie (edited 05-04-2006).]
Posted By: HCE727 Re: More Sloppy Work - 05/05/06 01:41 AM
Picture #1 - He roughed for recessed lights and then he couldn't find the the wires. Why not put the housings in , in the rough?

Picture #2 - Why not a 2-gang? the switch on the right had wires in the box, but none to the switch?

Picture #3,4,5 - The builder finished the basement, he told the builder that he had to move the panel forward?

Picture #6 - 200-amp cable twisted, connectors on the meter socket were not even tightened.

Picture #7 - I count 13 conductors plus the grounds.

The basement two 3-ways and two 4-ways that did not work. He ran all of the travelers to one junction box, I counted eight 3-wires and two 2 wires in one standard 1900 box with no cover, I guess he couldn't get it on.
Posted By: Kurtis Lind Re: More Sloppy Work - 05/05/06 04:33 AM
does the code reference 110.12 come to anyone else's mind?
Posted By: goodwill Re: More Sloppy Work - 05/05/06 01:05 PM
check out the "finished" carpentry....can you say "wood filler"!
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: More Sloppy Work - 05/05/06 01:25 PM
Re: #2 It would be nice if the two switches matched.

Bill
Posted By: steve ancient apprentice Re: More Sloppy Work - 05/05/06 10:11 PM
Saw too many breakers in the panel first off. Panel is a mess and the rest of the work is shoddy at best. As I usually say yuck what a mess!!
Posted By: Trumpy Re: More Sloppy Work - 05/05/06 11:31 PM
Look at the twist in that service cable!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: HCE727 Re: More Sloppy Work - 05/05/06 11:33 PM
When you hear these dope Builders and GC's say that they got a guy that will do it for cheaper, this is what you get. It doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it works. If this EC didn't close shop, this builder would have never called me.
Posted By: MikeK3145 Re: More Sloppy Work - 05/06/06 01:00 AM
How did that charlie foxtrot of a panel pass inspection?
Posted By: WiseOwl Re: More Sloppy Work - 05/08/06 01:08 AM
Finished carpentry? Wood filler? Those are expansion joints!

As for the recessed backboard with the electrical panel, this loois like a basement install, with an airspace between the cinder block wall and the false wall. A set of bi-fold doors will help hide this mess.

My pet peeve: wasting valuable real estate on a backboard. This area is probably intended to be used by all utilities, not just electric. I could easily fit an alarm panel, a small home network, and the telephone interface to the left of the panel, but first, I'll have to move that utility outlet.

But then again, you'll probably want that space for the needed subpanel.

James
Posted By: DougW Re: More Sloppy Work - 05/11/06 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by HCE727:
When you hear these dope Builders and GC's say that they got a guy that will do it for cheaper, this is what you get. It doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it works. If this EC didn't close shop, this builder would have never called me.

That's the truth. My buddy got the house we're working on as a "loss leader" - ie he's running the costs short on this bid, in the hope that he'll get to make it up with the other houses this GC is erecting.

He was competing with some russian guys who do electrical work out of Chicago. I assume at least one of them has a license from somewhere, but the builder chewed him down on little things like the lighting allowance and the type or receptacles and switches. The builder goes to Big Orang Box, after all... he knows that switches are only $0.69 each...

And hey, as long as they last the year for warranty purpoeses, what does he care, right? [Linked Image]
Posted By: HCE727 Re: More Sloppy Work - 05/12/06 12:20 AM
The builder got this EC to do his work because he was a friend and lives on his street. The EC works full time for the local power co. I am in the middle of finishing a job that he roughed in. A mechanic and I spent 3 hours in the kitchen fixing circuits that he messed up. Missed hr's, feeds, travelers, appliance circuits in the wrong locations. This is why he is so cheap, I already told the builder that I cannot and will not compete with this guy.
Posted By: Redsy Re: More Sloppy Work - 05/12/06 02:04 AM
"The builder got this EC to do his work because he was a friend and lives on his street. The EC works full time for the local power co."

HCE727,
Gotta love PA. I got my renewal for Warminster, PA. Now instead of paying $125.00 to be a Licensed Electrical Contractor, you get to be a "Licensed Master Electrician". All that is required is liability insurance and $125.00.

I AM SERIOUS!!

Hopefully PA will go the way of NJ soon.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 05-11-2006).]
Posted By: MikeK3145 Re: More Sloppy Work - 05/13/06 11:24 AM
That builder isn't as smart as you think. If you buy the 10-pack, switches are only 46ยข from Home Depot. <rofl>

Mike
© ECN Electrical Forums