ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Old Stuff from LK - 04/09/06 03:11 AM
I'll let Les fill you folks in on what's going on here:

[Linked Image]

All yours Les. [Linked Image]

{Spelling error}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 04-08-2006).]
Posted By: LK Re: Old Stuff from LK - 04/09/06 03:30 AM
When this was installed in 1937, they used 1 1/2" nips to connect from one box to another, back then they din't use bonding locknuts or bushings, so the entire system is all loose bonding, dependant on pipe and locknuts, i think we do a better job of bonding in todays installations.
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Old Stuff from LK - 04/09/06 09:36 AM
Great photo. I like the old meters and switchgear.
As per chatroom discussion 9th of April I hope you get the mystery 7 Amps sorted out, but I think you have it already under control Les.
Regards Ray
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Old Stuff from LK - 04/09/06 09:35 PM
Les,
What are the white cylinders at the top of the pic?

Alan
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Old Stuff from LK - 04/09/06 10:23 PM
Alan, you see an insulated pipe, probably a drain line, with the insulation interrupted by a hanger.
Posted By: iwire Re: Old Stuff from LK - 04/09/06 10:28 PM
I was thinking a steam pipe. [Linked Image]

I think that shows the difference between where Reno and I live.

New England vs the desert.
Posted By: mamills Re: Old Stuff from LK - 04/10/06 03:30 PM
I really enjoy looking at pix of old installations such as this. Things have come a long ways, with modern inventions such as wire gutters and circuit breakers [Linked Image].

I have a panel in my collection, very much like the first four shown on that long wall. The panel is typically sealed by the POCO, and inside there is a single 30 amp main fuse, an EXO switch, and also a small knife switch inside the box - I presume to shunt the meter out of the circuit for testing or replacement. The customer's fuses (all two of them) are in a little "appendage" on the bottom of the panel with a little door that swings up.

It would be interesting to know what is in the main disconnect switch [Linked Image].

Mike (mamils)
© ECN Electrical Forums