ECN Forum
Posted By: electure Where's the Workmanship? - 02/27/06 01:58 AM
Here is the first, of many, pics I took at a brand-new $1.5 Million tract home. This home, while having relatively few actual code violations, raised quite a few matters for discussion.
This pic was taken in the main room of the home. The wall has many differing devices- phone, cable, sound system, as well as ordinary receptacles. Please note how the level of the cover plates bounces up and down- it seems everyone used a different ruler!

renosteinke

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 02-26-2006).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Where's the Workmanship? - 02/27/06 02:07 AM
Wow John,
That's slack!. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: Radar Re: Where's the Workmanship? - 02/27/06 04:22 AM
Reno - What the heck is the 'main' room of a $1.5 million house? Is that sort of what we'd think of as a family room?

Radar
Posted By: Tesla Re: Where's the Workmanship? - 02/27/06 05:46 AM
That looks terrible....

I could never let that pass.

[This message has been edited by Tesla (edited 02-27-2006).]
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Where's the Workmanship? - 02/27/06 06:12 AM
What is the purpose of the single (as opposed to duplex) receptacle, second from the right? Is it 240V? It seems to me that it should have been ganged with the duplex to its right. And all that comm cabling probably could have gone into a signle double-wide, as well.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Where's the Workmanship? - 02/27/06 03:13 PM
The single receptacle is a dedicated circuit for the entertainment center.

You'ld think the electrician would have put those two at the same level!
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Where's the Workmanship? - 02/28/06 10:00 AM
Rough work,
how much effort to do it right. [Linked Image]

I wouldn't accept that as home owner.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Where's the Workmanship? - 02/28/06 11:11 AM
The single receptacle is a dedicated circuit for the entertainment center.

Looks like a 20A to me. What on earth are they going to be running that couldn't have gone on a 15A circuit?
Posted By: walrus Re: Where's the Workmanship? - 02/28/06 11:27 AM
If the single is for an entertainment center, isn't that whole wall going to be covered up anyway??
Posted By: mahlere Re: Where's the Workmanship? - 02/28/06 12:39 PM
Gentlemen,

the key word here is "tract" home. Anyone in this industry for more than 3 days should be familiar with tract homes. I don't care what the selling price is, the developer (and/or his investors) is the one footing the bill for the buildout.

How many EC's do you know, who do tract homes, who pay the top wages in the area? Who hire only the most competent mechanics?

I'm not knocking those guys, but they've created their own cut throat industry by chopping their own prices to nothing to get work.

So why are we surprised that all corners are cut?

Anyone with 1/2 a brain would be a fool to buy a tract home for that much money.

Just my opinion.
Posted By: e57 Re: Where's the Workmanship? - 03/04/06 06:41 PM
May have been measured from a very "rough" floor.... Or the tops of different boxes or rings... Thats the reason I force guys to level boxes to the 6/32 for the mounting of the devices.
Posted By: mxslick Re: Where's the Workmanship? - 03/04/06 07:28 PM
Looks like a 20A to me. What on earth are they going to be running that couldn't have gone on a 15A circuit?

Paul, a lot of "home ent. centers" now feature high-powered, multi-channel audio receivers, satellite recorders, dvd players, satellite radio receivers, etc. The total draw on many systems just playing a dvd at moderately loud levels can overwhelm a 15amp circuit.

For the film screening rooms I install in homes, we have to have a subpanel to handle the demands of the film projectors, video projector, sound rack and touchscreen automation as well as screen curtains and maskings.

Typical circuits used are(these are breaker sizes, not necessarily continuous loads):

2 x 20 amp, 120v film projector motors;
2 x 30 amp, 240v Xenon lamp power;
1 x 20 amp, 120v for Xenon lamp exhaust blower;
1 x 20 amp, 120v worklight and service recpt at proj. bases;
1 x 20 amp, 120v for video projector and lift;
3 x 20 amp, 120v for audio power amplifiers;
1 x 20 amp, 120v for audio source equipment and AMX controller;
1 x 20 amp, 120v for film inspection bench;
1 x 20 amp, 120v for screen masking motors;
1 x 20 amp, 120v for screen curtains.

Booth lighting is on a 15 amp circuit.

So in this case depending on what they're going to expand into (especailly if the LCD/Plasma TV is powered here) they're actually underpowered!
Posted By: kale Re: Where's the Workmanship? - 03/09/06 12:57 AM
Another case where I'm glad I'm not a sheetrocker.
Posted By: kiwi Re: Where's the Workmanship? - 03/14/06 08:45 AM
Here we call them "Spec Houses". Thats a house being built by a "Speculator" and not an owner-occupier.

Of course workmanship will suffer when a house is built for a developer who is only interested in cost-cutting and deadlines.
Posted By: DougW Re: Where's the Workmanship? - 04/23/06 01:48 AM
My first EC got a laugh out of seeing a "pencil level" in my tool pouch... then he saw why I was using it on trim-out.

He stopped laughing, and told me it was better for me to do it that way then for him to have to go back after everything was up.

Looks like they should have used a little longer level...
© ECN Electrical Forums