ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Puhoi Drill No.1 - 02/20/06 04:03 AM
Photo's and info submitted by RODALCO:

This is the drill used for the SH 1 tunnel from Waiwera going north to Puhoi, New Zealand.
Drilling commences from the North end, drilling towards Waiwera.
Starts formally on 20th Feb. 2006.

Drill machine. runs on 3Ø 1050 Volts ac:

[Linked Image]

Name-plate details from supply transformer:

[Linked Image]

Drill bit, about 1.2 meters in diameter, note water jets for cooling:

[Linked Image]

Drill bit:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Puhoi Drill No.1 - 02/20/06 04:10 AM
More pics:

Rear of drill machine:

[Linked Image]

Side of drill machine:

[Linked Image]

Close up of cutter:

[Linked Image]

Drill nameplate:

[Linked Image]

Thanks Ray. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave T Re: Puhoi Drill No.1 - 02/20/06 02:50 PM
Good stuff. Things that most don't get to see.
Thanks,
Dave
Posted By: John Crighton Re: Puhoi Drill No.1 - 02/21/06 06:47 PM
+1 thanks for sharing these.

I gotta ask... is that drill head decorated? Or is there a purpose for all those welded-on lines and dots?
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Puhoi Drill No.1 - 02/21/06 09:10 PM
John,
I gotta ask... is that drill head decorated? Or is there a purpose for all those welded-on lines and dots?.
Them lines are what what is known in the welding trade as hard-facing.
It's put on there to postpone wear to the actual surface of the cutting head.
Excavator buckets and bulldozer blades typically have the same thing.
It's done by running a bead of weld from a special hard-facing welding rod all over the surface to build it up.
Posted By: John Crighton Re: Puhoi Drill No.1 - 02/21/06 10:33 PM
"Hard facing" -- Hardly a day goes by that I don't learn something here. Thanks!
Posted By: HighPotter Re: Puhoi Drill No.1 - 02/26/06 04:26 PM
VERY cool pictures !

I can only assume that SH-1 is a roadway?
If so, does that mean that the drilling "arm" adjust up-down-sideways ? as the drilling is performed.?

Although the drill is pretty big, not as large as a roadyway tunnel. I'm curious.

HP
Posted By: Radar Re: Puhoi Drill No.1 - 02/26/06 04:53 PM
Although the drill is pretty big, not as large as a roadyway tunnel.
Another little light just blinked on. Just this past week we started twin tunnel boring in East Los Angeles. We have 2 TBM's (tunnel boring machines), each about 21' diameter. I'll see if I can get some pictures together during the week.

Radar
Posted By: HighPotter Re: Puhoi Drill No.1 - 02/26/06 11:49 PM
wow ! 21 feet? Where in East LA would this be? Sewer line? I didnt think there were anymore subway projects going on.

HP

[This message has been edited by HighPotter (edited 02-26-2006).]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Puhoi Drill No.1 - 02/26/06 11:55 PM
Can you buy hardfacing rods for a std. arc welder? Got an application in mind.

Alan
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Puhoi Drill No.1 - 02/27/06 02:04 AM
High Potter,
I can only assume that SH-1 is a roadway?
SH1, is short for State Highway No.1, the main highway that runs the length of the North and South Islands here in NZ.
Alan,
Can you buy hardfacing rods for a std. arc welder?
Yes you can, because that is the only thing they work with.
Bear in mind you'll probably need a fair bit of current to melt them, as opposed to your standard rutile rods.
Posted By: Radar Re: Puhoi Drill No.1 - 02/27/06 04:17 AM
HP - you're part right and part not. Subway construction was ended in LA because a local politition got a law passed making it illegal. However, he's now going to try to get his law repealed, so the subway may eventually head west thru mid-cities again. However, that's not exactly why we're tunneling now.

The light rail line extending from Pasadena to Union Station in LA is being extended thru East LA, and about 1.7 miles of it needs to go underground. Hence twin tunnels. An underground portion of the light rail line does not make a subway, however, even partly. Our subways are heavy rail, and not overhead OCS fed.

Radar
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Puhoi Drill No.1 - 02/27/06 06:18 AM
Here are some really big TBMs:
http://www.robbinstbm.com/TBMs/tbms.html
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Puhoi Drill No.1 - 02/27/06 09:13 AM
Thanks Mike, and Solarpowered for your replies re SH 1 and the link tio the big tunnel bore machines.

The great part here near Puhoi was, that I had access to the electrical site of it and was allowed to take some photo's of it.

HighPotter The drill arm can swivel up and side wards. In the first stage the upper part of the tunnel arch is done, then the middle, and as last the lower part of the arch.

In the 1980's a tunnel was drilled for the Te Rapa to Tauranga railway, through the Kaimai ranges, this one had a full diametre drill of the actual tunnel bore, the remains of that machine are still dumped at the eastern entrance to the tunnel.

The plan is for 2 tunnels approx 10 * 14 Metres diametre, what the on site guys told me.
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Puhoi Drill No.1 - 02/27/06 07:13 PM
How long are the tunnels going to be?
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Puhoi Drill No.1 - 02/28/06 03:08 PM
Alan,
Sorry to be ambiguous about Hard-Facing rods.
You need about 130-150A to melt a Hard Facing rod, not exactly the thing for a DIY welding set, at any sort of duty cycle.
As I said above the normal rutile rod takes little current and you can work with a short arc, not so with a H/F rod.
Bank on a 1/2" arc at the least, with a very slow travel, penetration is what counts, that is the most part of Hard facing.
If you don't have the penetration, you might as well be using hot glue, it'll fall off like it too.
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Puhoi Drill No.1 - 03/01/06 08:15 AM
Just a follow up here.

Today 01 Mar 2006, I was back at the tunnel to collect two dataloggers from one of the transformers, to check for voltage sags.
the worst readings were 220 Volts ( about 4% under Unom. is 235 Volts ) at low speed at the 500 kVA spare transformer.
The feeder trip was recorded also and lasted for 10 minutes, Auchh!! [Linked Image]

At the moment they are not allowed to drill at full speed, 1500 RPM because of the D.O.L. start will take out the feeder.
An engineer will try to sort ou the trip settings on the local switch to the 1000 kVA transformer, while off loading branch lines from this feeder is looked at by the lines company at the moment.

I had a look in the tunnel which is about 20 metres inwards in hard rock.
Arc is about 12 metres wide.
The drill is manned with 2 operators.
The swivel part with the drill extends about 6 to 8 metres from the machine and does the breaking of the rocks, very noisy and clouds of dust.
The water cooling jets are not being used at the moment because of low speed operation at 750 RPM, although the drill bit ran a lot slower, more like 2 to 3 revolutions per second. still a lot of heat is generated though.

The tunnel is supported in 5 metre sections, The drill operator is not allowed to work in the unsupported area of the tunnel, hence the swivel option and extendable drill shaft, works in the unsupported area of the tunnel.
The machine can be remotely controlled, in case of dangerous unstable rock area's and camera's provide the information.

As soon a 5 metre segment is cleared of rocks, steel guirders are inserted, to support the tunnel roof.

I forgot my camera, but the dusty conditions were far from ideal anyway to take a good photo. An other site visit will happen in the near future and hopefully conditions are better then.
© ECN Electrical Forums