ECN Forum
Posted By: electure What Is It? - 12/06/05 12:47 AM
I inherited a small industrial a couple years ago and am still learning their system. I would like to know what this yellow box is. The CT metering is in a small substation ahead of this point so that eliminates a CT cabinet. There are no apparent openings other than for the cables entering and leaving. The service is 480/277 Wye. I believe this is part of the original serivce to the building built 50+ years ago. The serving utility and the industrial disagree on who owns the 3- 500kva transformers in the sub outside. Neither claim ownership. They do agree that any work from the load side of the transformers on in, is the industrials responsibility which trickles down to me.

Tom Noller

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mxslick Re: What Is It? - 12/06/05 01:07 AM
Tom:

I'd put my guess on that box holding power factor correction capacitors.

Would you be able to get close enough to see or get a pic of any data plates?
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: What Is It? - 12/06/05 03:59 AM
i think more like a disconnection or isloation switch without fuse in there one of the two hard to say but if it have lever on it then good chace that is disconnection switch

merci , marc
Posted By: ptonsparky Re: What Is It? - 12/06/05 11:37 AM
No tags, no handles. I am leaning towards the power factor correction capacitor but until we shut down the sub later this winter I won't be getting close enough to open or exam closer. If it is a capacitor bank they must not be working because we had to add 100KVAR last year. Plant power factor went from 70s to 98. Thought the manager was going to kiss me.
Posted By: George Corron Re: What Is It? - 12/07/05 05:39 PM
I don't think I'd bet here without much closer observation, but it looks like an automatic recloser.
Posted By: RODALCO Re: What Is It? - 01/29/06 06:14 AM
Strange that where the nameplate is supposed to be, nothing attached there.

The yellow paint looks too good. I think that it never had a nameplate on it.

A auto recloser normally has some id number on it.
Although its likely to be something like that.

a capacitor normally wouldn't have cables coming in and out at both sides.
© ECN Electrical Forums