ECN Forum
Posted By: electure A Day in the Life - 10/25/05 11:12 AM
From Lostazhell (Randy)

I got a call to a 1940's home where the breaker for the kitchen wouldn't reset.. The homeowner stated she'd called the utility and then she handed me a note from them (I had to LOL at the last line ) I noticed the 8/3 romex strung up between the house & the garage.. And then narrowed things down to the outlet behind the stove, conveniently also behind the gas shutoff

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I got a call for a country clubs "maintenance barn" in which the maintenance person stated that "the lights would take forever to come on"... A loose neutral in a subpanel was the culprit causing unstable voltage (107/126V) Then this disconnect caught my eye.... It's feeding 2 subs plus the dinky thing on the left there

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 10-25-2005).]
Posted By: electure Re: A Day in the Life - 10/25/05 11:38 AM
I got a call to a home where a home inspector had pointed out that a "2 wire outlet in the garage should be replaced with a more modern 3 wire outlet with GFCI protection". He didn't mention anything about these..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A financial center that I went to with a leaky roof causing a GFI to trip. I was surprised to find the romex in there...among the other issues

[Linked Image]
Posted By: iwire Re: A Day in the Life - 10/25/05 11:50 AM
The homeowner stated she'd called the utility and then she handed me a note from them (I had to LOL at the last line )

From the note.
Must have qualified person correct. If you are qualified that's OK

Depending on the rules in your area for better or worse this could be true.

I have learned that here where I live only a person that installs wiring for a fee has to be licensed, permitted and inspected. [Linked Image]

It may not be what they wanted but it is how the law is written. [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: mxslick Re: A Day in the Life - 10/25/05 11:53 PM
In the pics for the country club barn, do I see the "dinky thing on the left"'s feed on the line side of that disconnect?!?
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: A Day in the Life - 10/26/05 12:47 AM
MX, you got it.... and btw, that disconnect is the service disconnect.. the line side is straight from PG&E. [Linked Image]

Bob, The reason I found the utility note humorous is just the fact of leaving it up to a homeowner to decide if they are "qualified". I could seriously see that last line being misconstrued. In CA, a homeowner is permitted to pull their own permits and carry out their own work, electrical or otherwise..

-Randy
Posted By: techie Re: A Day in the Life - 10/26/05 03:20 AM
mxslick
In the pics for the country club barn, do I see the "dinky thing on the left"'s feed on the line side of that disconnect?!?
Lostazhell
MX, you got it.... and btw, that disconnect is the service disconnect.. the line side is straight from PG&E.

What does that dinky thing feed?
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: A Day in the Life - 10/26/05 06:26 AM
The front of that door on the "dinky thing" said "fuel pump", but I didn't see anything resembling any type of refueling facility... possibly it was installed used?
Posted By: techie Re: A Day in the Life - 10/27/05 10:55 PM
My thought might be that it might be supplying power to a well pump or fire pump..
Posted By: Trumpy Re: A Day in the Life - 10/28/05 08:26 AM
Interesting Randy,
From the note:
Breaker I left OFF is BAD.
Replace to correct.
Not a PG&E problem,.
Must have Qualified person correct.
If you are qualified that's OK.

In that top pic, that's a way of using an LB that I've never seen before.
Is that water or gas in the 4th pic Randy?.
Boy, has that recept in pic no. 8 been mis-treated or what?.
Looks like a guy with two black eyes and an open mouth on the top. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: A Day in the Life - 10/28/05 11:55 AM
..Looks like a guy...with two black eyes...and an open mouth...

It's my Mother in Law!!

Alan
Posted By: pauluk Re: A Day in the Life - 10/28/05 12:41 PM
I got a call to a home where a home inspector had pointed out that a "2 wire outlet in the garage should be replaced with a more modern 3 wire outlet with GFCI protection". He didn't mention anything about these..

You mean how they've been fitted with the grounds the wrong way round? [Linked Image]

Runs for cover as an ECN lynchmob with a length of Romex gives chase.......
Posted By: stamcon Re: A Day in the Life - 10/29/05 06:06 AM
Trumpy, that picture #4 is of a gas valve and the yellow tubing on the right is a flexible gas connector that we use here in earthquake country. The flexible gas connector is painted/coated to prevent corrosion, but kind of screws up the notion of using the appliance's EGC to bond the gas piping(if the appliance has electrical needs).

steve
Posted By: Gene134 Re: A Day in the Life - 02/15/06 03:30 AM
I usually just lurk around these sites, but that note made me laugh so hard I had to post to thank you for putting a smile on my face.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: A Day in the Life - 02/15/06 05:32 PM
I also really like the arrow pointing down, with "OFF?" written on the door of the "dinky thing", especially the question mark...
Posted By: pauluk Re: A Day in the Life - 02/17/06 03:47 PM
especially the question mark...

That is rather strange. If you're going to label the positions, why not check which way is off first? If not, why bother at all? [Linked Image]
Posted By: mamills Re: A Day in the Life - 02/17/06 06:22 PM
Of course, with a little downward pressure on that breaker, there would be no question of whether the circuit is off or not [Linked Image].

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: A Day in the Life - 02/21/06 04:39 AM
Of course, with a little downward pressure on that breaker, there would be no question of whether the circuit is off or not .

LOL [Linked Image]

That maintenance barn had all kinds of oddities around it, electrical and otherwise. It appeared to have been around since at least the 50's, although the country club itself came to be sometime around 1980. I'm guessing the barn was spared the bulldozer during construction.
© ECN Electrical Forums