ECN Forum
Posted By: iwire NM Run With An Iron. - 10/23/05 10:19 AM
Here are some pictures from Harold Endean of a very neat NM job.

Harold will have to provide the details.

My apologies to Harold for the delay in posting.

Bob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 10-23-2005).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 10/23/05 12:00 PM
Gees Iwire!,
You been holding out on us with pics like that?.
But I must say, seeing pic's like this mate I can see why.
I'm floored already!.
So neat and tidy, I'm ashamed to look at them.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 10-30-2005).]
Posted By: Roger Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 10/23/05 12:04 PM
Absolutely beautiful!

Roger
Posted By: electure Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 10/23/05 12:48 PM
WOW!!!

I've never seen anything that even comes close to this.

Fantastic. Thanks Harold, & Bob
Posted By: Redsy Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 10/23/05 12:54 PM
If this is a new home, I'd like to see the quote.
Around here, doing that type of work in developments will get you broke.
Posted By: Kelley Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 10/23/05 01:23 PM
harold,

what a nice looking job. Are those lutron homeworks panels to the left in pic #2?
again beautiful work!

Kelley
Posted By: e57 Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 10/23/05 01:38 PM
Neat, very neat!

I wouldn't be able to do that type of work here, well only if I built a wall or partition in front of it. Local code see's romex, and MC below 8' from the finish floor as subject to physical damage. I would have to do that in pipe.

Redsy, Just the appearance of the Homeworks panels, and back-up generator ATS means this was not a low ball job, and there was money/time to take care of the job the right way, and make a spectical of doing so. There was probhably $20K in labor alone earmarked just for that room. Otherwise, customers get skeptical of the rest of the money spent, so it even has to look good to the layman. Without knowing what is on the other end of the runs there, I could take a stab at almost, or just shy of $175-200K electrical contract.

Harold, any pic's of the Tel/data, or AV work in this building? Did you choose the color scheme of the back-boards just to make it all stand out? Nice work chief!
Posted By: capt al Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 10/23/05 02:44 PM
Harold, very nice job!! There is definitely pride in the work being done in these pictures. It is nice to see craftsmanship is still out there.

Al
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 10/23/05 02:56 PM
That is nothing short of amazing! Great job!
Posted By: harold endean Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 10/23/05 03:41 PM
Sorry I didn't get on sooner, I too have been very busy. Thanks to Bob for posting these pictures. A little history about these pictures. Last year I posted some pictures of a very neat install. ( Maybe Bob can repost them) This house has been being built for about a year or so. It is just now starting to be finished up. I did 4 rough inspections and 2 service inspections to date. the house is about 6-7,000 sq.ft. ( I think) It is huge. 600 amp service and several large panel boards. These pictures you see here are in the main service room. There is all sorts of tel/dat avi work etc. also going on. I will try to get more pictures of that if you like. There is a large gen on the site too. There is about 5-6 HVAC units and an 3 story elevator. I will get some pictures of the outside of the house also if you guys want to see it. The EC has been working very hard here and he is very fussy about his work as you can see.
Kelly, yes, they are large Lutron panels and I believe most of the house lighting will be wired into it. The reason I am unsure about a lot of the info is because the house isn't even compleated yet. {lus the HO changes his mind almost daily. ( This drives the EC crazy) I have no idea what the total cost of the electrical work is because I just see the foreman on the job and not the owner of the elec. comp. This EC does a lot of work in the Morris County area of NJ and the specialize in very large homes. I was inspecting in another town (Medham, NJ)while the regular AHJ was having an operation and the same EC was wiring up another large house. The size of that house made this one look small! The Medham house was about 14,000 sq.ft. I didn't get to see the final product there because the regular AHJ came back to work. The pool house of the one in Mendham was about 2,000 sq.ft. complete with 2 baths and full working kitchen.Any more question, please feel free to ask, and I will try to answer and I promise to get more pictures. This house has a rounded stainglass ceiling that will be back lit when done. I can't wait to see it finished.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 10/24/05 01:50 AM
Harold,
Where the cables cross above the panels, how ar e the top runs spaced from the bottom runs?.
Posted By: Hemingray Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 10/24/05 04:08 AM
WOW! I am Highly impressed with the quality of work here
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 10/24/05 05:19 AM
"Where the cables cross above the panels, how are the top runs spaced from the bottom runs?"

If you look closely in the first and last pics, you can see waht appear to be vertical sections of 2x2.
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 10/24/05 11:39 AM
Beautiful job, but I would expect that the labor hours to do that would be very close to what would be required for EMT...
Don
Posted By: togol Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 10/24/05 11:51 AM
Fantastic, ......so,THAT is what Romex is supposed to look like !

May I borrow one or two of these pictures?

togol
Posted By: pauluk Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 10/24/05 04:41 PM
Wow! That's a beautiful install. I hope the plumbers and other trades live up to the high standards of the wiring.
Posted By: harold endean Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 10/25/05 01:19 AM
As for the wires crossing over the other set of wires. YES, the EC set up little wooden "bridges" so that he could cross over the bottom sets of wires. I believe he used 2X4 pieces of wood. He also painted all of the wood black, I never asked him too.
Posted By: georgestolz Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 10/26/05 11:38 PM
That is spectacular to the point of insanity! [Linked Image]

Job summa cum well done!!!
Posted By: Trumpy Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 10/27/05 12:16 AM
In particular,
I like the first pic where the runs of cable change direction coming off of the end of that joist.
That is nothing short of artistic. [Linked Image]
Posted By: vlad_tepish Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 10/30/05 02:02 PM
they take pride in there work,,dont see that to much .nowdays its always hurry up and get it done or we lose money.
Posted By: cptkinguru Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 10/30/05 03:45 PM
Thanks for posting those pics, now I am embarrassed about every NM job I have ever done.
Posted By: dmattox Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 10/30/05 04:10 PM
While it does look amazing, I would have used emt and gutters, would have looked cleaner and would be a lot more maintainable.
Posted By: richard Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 10/30/05 05:37 PM
very nice job, I printed one of the pictures and everyone that has seen them are impressed with the neatness and attention to detail, as well as the obvious pride involved.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 10/30/05 11:20 PM
Harold,
This house has a rounded stainglass ceiling that will be back lit when done. I can't wait to see it finished.

Now that in itself would be a sight to see!. smile
Posted By: harold endean Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 11/01/05 02:22 AM
I just posted these pictures because I thought they looked great. I didn't mean to embarass anyone at all. smile Hell, I thought I did neat work, but this EC was extremely neat. I will try to get back inside when they call for more inspections and I will try to get more photos for all. I want to see for myself the lighted dome over top of the great entry when it is working. I will also try and get some pictures from the outside of the house in general.
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 11/02/05 06:35 PM
That is the some of the best NM work I've ever seen. Congrats to Harold for a job well done.

Ian A.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/13/06 10:41 PM
And here's more from Harold:
Remember I said I was inspecting a very large house. Well I am starting to go back and do final inspections. I took pictures of the wiring that was very neat if you remember. (See neat wires picture.)

Well there is this domed area in the front hallway that is real neat. Here are some pictures of that domed area. I will continue to send more photos as I get them organized.

[Linked Image]

Click here for larger image .

This picture shows how they framed the whole area out:

[Linked Image]

Click here for larger image .

The next two pictures were taken inside of the attic showing 8-500 watt quartz light illuminating the back of the glass dome. There is a thermostat inside of the area which kicks on and vents that area if it goes above 90 deg F:

[Linked Image]

Click here for larger image

[Linked Image]

The picture below shows what it looks like lit up 2 floor below in the front entrance:

[Linked Image]

The picture below shows how large this house is. If you look at the picture, there is a large track hoe and smaller front end loader in front of the building:

[Linked Image]

Enjoy, Harold.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 03-13-2006).]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/13/06 11:26 PM
Harold, that is something else entirely! Beautiful! Let's hope 'she who must be obeyed' never looks at these pics, or we'll have the flipping roof off again!

Alan
Posted By: BigJohn Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/14/06 12:21 AM
Residential construction definitely isn't my favorite type of electrical work, but even so, that honestly had to have been a fun house to wire. I bet there are all sorts of neat bells and whistles.

-John
Posted By: saltcedar Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/14/06 04:24 PM
JeeZ!!!

That's neater than some Military/Aerospace formboard work I've seen and done!

Regards
chris
IBEW Electronics Tech. LMSC retired.
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/14/06 05:06 PM
That's the first 8.5 kw dome light I've ever seen in a house!
Posted By: Gus99 Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/14/06 07:36 PM
Is the homeowner's last name Soprano?
Posted By: harold endean Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/15/06 01:38 AM
So far it took me over 1 hour to give the second floor a final inspection and today another 1 hour for the first floor. I still have to go back and do the outside and the basement. The EC for the job is R.F. Romano Enterprise (Bob) and his job is picture perfect. His main foreman is John, and he is the man who used the iron on each and every wire for that job. Bob is also into the IT wiring. He was explaining to me today about how his system works. He want to get it in a photo shoot for E.C.& M. and other trade mags. (Anyone out there listening from EC&M?)
Bob also is a Lutron and Creston Dealer. His video pads at the doors can tell you about the electrical system, the HVAC, video and even get the weather from the Weather Channel. If anyone is interested they can e-mail me and I can get you in touch with Bob. I am going to see him tommorrow and give him this e-mail address, so maybe he can stop by and chat for awhile. I still have some more photo's and if you guys are interested, I will get more to Trumpy. I have some shots of the IT/AV/CAT works. I know someone was asking about it.

P.S. Tony S. does not live here.
Posted By: Trainwire Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/15/06 11:32 AM
I was going to post some pictures, but I don't think I will now.

It would be like I was back in kiddygarten and I brought my little red firetruck, and I got called on after the kid with the latest greatest most expensive dream toy that we all wanted. [Linked Image]

Actually, after all the burnt/fried/botched/scary things that we normally see on these forums, it's refreshing to see jobs that are truly well done.

As much as you can learn from the scary stuff, you can learn from the good stuff as well.

Kudos, I lift a toast.

TW
Posted By: RODALCO Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/15/06 06:32 PM
A piece of art.

It's great to see in these rush and cut costs times that good quality workmanship is still about.

Ok it may take some more time but to overall result is neat and very professional.

Job well done mate
Posted By: Rewired Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/15/06 11:45 PM
WOW.. I never knew Romex could look like that!
you should have those puctures framed and hung on the wall its almost mezmorizng (sp?)...

A.D
Posted By: harold endean Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/16/06 12:44 AM
Trainwire,

Please post your pictures, we all would like to see them. by the way, this isn't my job, I just had to inspect it. The foreman John from R.F. Romano deserves all of the credit. He has been here doing work for many months. I am only sorry that I am almost done with my inspections. I love going back to this house to look at the workmanship that was done there. I hope to post some more pictures soon.

(P.S. The wiring in my own house doesn't look this good.!) [Linked Image]
Posted By: Rewired Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/16/06 01:11 AM
Trivia question: should have asked it in my last post but, How hard is it to get at those Quartz lights to service them?

Just curious..
A.D
Posted By: techie Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/17/06 02:15 AM
It looks like the Q-lights are mounted on panels, that might swing out into the attic space on the other side of the wall?
Posted By: harold endean Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/17/06 02:40 AM
Techie,

Absolutely correct! Each 500 watt quartz light is mounted on a swing out panel. You just open up the panel, swing it out and you can work on the light fixture.
Posted By: kiwi Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/17/06 10:08 AM
Those cables coming off the joist should have been folded the other way. They would have stayed closer to the surfaces. Nice clipping job though ( are they staples? ). Would trunking have been easier?
Posted By: Trainwire Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/17/06 12:41 PM
Thanks for the kind words Harold

I can't imagine being the guy spending so much time and mental effort on a job like this and then when the last of the paperwork is signed, throwing the tool bag in the back of the truck, and just driving away thinking "now what the heck do I do?"
and never being able to go back and visit.

If it was me, the next morning I would be staring at the road over my coffee cup, and find myself in the wrong driveway grin
As an inspector, do you ever wish you had a "blue ribbon" tag, just like there is a red one for a job that is less than the minimum?

TW
Posted By: Trumpy Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/17/06 04:41 PM
Here's some more pics from Harold:

This picture shows where all of the CATV wires will end and get hooked up to amplifiers. They are not done with that one yet:

[Linked Image]

Well here are 2 pictures that show how neat all of the IT wiring was done:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This picture shows how there ia a whole rack system where everything gets integrated. The IT wiring, Internet, house wiring etc:

[Linked Image]

I still have a few more to go if anyone is still interested.
Posted By: Rewired Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/17/06 10:09 PM
Ahh I see!
VERY slick!

A.D
Posted By: JoeTestingEngr Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/18/06 01:57 PM
That is the most beautiful home wiring job that I have ever seen! It looks like it was done by some sort of CAD/CAM robot, precisely from a drawing.
Joe
Posted By: harold endean Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/18/06 02:14 PM
Trainwire,

If I could give out a "Blue Ribbon "award, I think that this house would get it. I have been doing electrical work since 1975 and I haven't seen a better, neater job than this one. I must have taken a dozen or more pictures and I can't help talking about this job. Bob Romano and John have done a most wonderful job here.
Posted By: harold endean Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/18/06 02:15 PM
Kiwi,
Yes, those are staples and there is a lot of them. As for "Trunking" I am not quite sure what you mean by that?
Posted By: kiwi Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/21/06 10:33 AM
Trunking or cable duct where the cables could have been laid without the need for elaborate clipping. Horizonal ducts would have worked here with clipped vertical droppers to the panels.
Posted By: chipmunk Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/21/06 02:17 PM
Trunking of the metal kind is similar to what is known in the US as 'cable gutter' I believe?
Such as this . The plastic kind of trunking such as these I don't believe has a US equivalent. It's frequently used in the UK (and apparently too in NZ smile

[This message has been edited by chipmunk (edited 03-21-2006).]
Posted By: Big Ed Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/21/06 02:31 PM
Chipmonk,
The second link looks allot like Panduit. I have used it quite a bit in industrial cabinets. The domed stuff resembles the plastic wire-mold.

Yours looks a little slicker, though. More finished look to them.

Ed
Posted By: chipmunk Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/21/06 02:39 PM
The domed stuff is new (as in it wasn't in the catalog last year). I like it, having seen some at the trade counter, the range of colors is good. Yes, the smaller sizes are used very much in the same locations as Wiremold would be in the US. The UK tends to do more plastic than metal clad electrical gear now, it doesn't corrode as easily, but does tend to melt (but all of it's fire retardant).
Posted By: e57 Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/22/06 04:03 AM
[Linked Image]

Found out a way to do this, and even neater a few years back....

Bear with me its hard to explain...
Most Comm supply houses carry bulb double sided Velcro. You take small scraps, and make little circles around each cable. Then stick them all together, and bind them in a larger one, add more, and bind them. This holds all of them in a pattern. Then you lock down the area you start in at the entrance to the room or where ever with a zip tie. Then slide the whole Velcro contraption to the next support and lock it down with a zip tie. Then just continue the process as you pass each support. You can even twist it to get a rope like appearance... When you go into an area that you want to bend, just pivot the Velcro slightly in the radius you wand, and sopport it along the way. Trust me, this is far easier than doing the same any other way.... And not half as time consuming as it might sound, and looks twice as good, as attempting the same any other way.
Posted By: kiwi Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/22/06 09:14 AM
I haven't seen double velcro system like that. Sounds interesting though. Any photos ? Or a website to check it out?
Posted By: harold endean Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/25/06 03:36 PM
Kiwi,

As Big Ed said, "Trunking" looks a lot like our plastic Wiremold or Panduit raceway and the metal ones also look like our Wiremold raceways. I guess the wireways would make it neater, but this job is still outstanding in my eyes.
Posted By: JoeTestingEngr Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 10/12/07 05:45 PM
Bump! I think this was the fantastic NM wiring job referred to in the general discussion area. It is definitely a beauty!
Joe
Posted By: ITO Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 10/12/07 05:58 PM
It's absolutely beautiful work but I have to say that level of 110-12 would not have been in my estimate.
Posted By: harold endean Re: NM Run With An Iron. - 03/27/11 12:29 AM
ITO,

It took this electrician many months to do this job. I saw him about 2 years later on another job and told him again how wonderful his work was. He said that he doesn't do that kind of work anymore. Nobody wants to pay for it! That is a real shame but it is reality!
© ECN Electrical Forums