ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Receptacle in Mirror - 09/01/05 07:59 PM
I thought this was interesting. It is in a bathroom of a vacation cottage we were at. Has anyone seen this before. It solves the problem of where to put the required outlet. The glass mirror has an opening in it for the gfci receptacle.

electricman2
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Receptacle in Mirror - 09/01/05 08:57 PM
I see this everyday in my city.

If you are installing them, you want to use an extension ring. The covers break very easily if they are not perfectly installed.
Posted By: electure Re: Receptacle in Mirror - 09/01/05 10:03 PM
The covers break very easily if they are not perfectly installed.

So do the mirrors [Linked Image] You can guess how I know that.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Receptacle in Mirror - 09/02/05 06:04 AM
Thanks for the picture e-man2!. [Linked Image]
Is that plate stainless steel?.
Only thing that would concern me about this, would be wether there has ben some sort of sealing around the back of the GFCI plate to prevent moisture getting into the recept.
Or is this mirror equipped with one of those mirror demisters?.
One of the local FF's here is a glazier and he said he hates working with mirrors, you have to use special glue to hold them to the wall.
He also mentioned he has built up about 600 years of bad luck, if you are superstititously-inclined.
Shame on you Tony. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Receptacle in Mirror - 09/02/05 06:40 PM
I guess the plate is mirrored glass too... guess they're _not_ cheap...
Posted By: electricman2 Re: Receptacle in Mirror - 09/02/05 06:43 PM
Yes the plate is SS and I wasn't about to remove it to look further and take a chance on blowing my security deposit. [Linked Image]
Posted By: e57 Re: Receptacle in Mirror - 09/02/05 11:59 PM
Do this all the time... Important not to use screw gun! And, solid backing at the opening. I usually write on the wall for the glass guys to add mastic all around the box. It helps reduce the chances it will crack.
Posted By: screwi Re: Receptacle in Mirror - 09/03/05 09:02 AM
It wouldnt be allowed in that room in the first place in the uk, so I guess we wouldnt have the problem with the mirror, uk 240v and outlet+wet hands dont go together to well
Posted By: iwire Re: Receptacle in Mirror - 09/03/05 01:52 PM
Anyone else think the plate screws should be stainless as well?

They appear to be ivory.

uk 240v and outlet+wet hands dont go together to well

I may be mistaken but isn't that 240 system still 120 volts to ground, presenting the same level of danger to the user?

Interestingly if this was a 240 outlet the NEC would not require GFCI protection.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Receptacle in Mirror - 09/03/05 03:16 PM
We always used mirror plates for this, not stainless.
Posted By: sockets Re: Receptacle in Mirror - 09/03/05 06:21 PM
I think that cover is mirrored, because it is beveled.

My neighbor has exact same in master bath, but the plate is not beveled. I asked about it and she said it was store bought. First time I had seen such.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Receptacle in Mirror - 09/04/05 10:15 PM
UK 240V is 240V to ground, unlike US 240V. It's derived from a three-phase 240/415V system (nowadays nominal 230/400V).
However, the "no receptacles in bathrooms" code is a specific UK thing. In all other European countries I know such receptacles would be ok. Never seen it though.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Receptacle in Mirror - 09/05/05 10:47 AM
Our "code" permits a 240V outlet in a bathroom for a shaver, so long as it is fed via 1:1 isolating transformer so that it is floating with respect to ground.
Posted By: georgestolz Re: Receptacle in Mirror - 09/05/05 02:23 PM
Bob wrote:
Interestingly if this was a 240 outlet the NEC would not require GFCI protection.
But then again, it would need a 120V GFI-protected buddy right beside it.

That makes me think that perhaps it would be better to include this type of scenario in the NEC. People move here and bring many of their compatible (or not [Linked Image] ) appliances with them. They were protected overseas, and here they're not. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums