ECN Forum
Posted By: electure Lights Hung from Bus Duct - 07/13/05 03:14 AM
It is hard to believe that anyone would hang lights in this manner, but here it is.
Also note that several different fixtures are used.

renosteinke

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sierra electrician Re: Lights Hung from Bus Duct - 07/13/05 03:24 AM
John
? It looks as though they are hanging from the HVAC. You need to zoom on the nearest fixture to see better.

Rob
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Lights Hung from Bus Duct - 07/13/05 04:35 AM
You are correct....this area is just such a mess! But, HVAC it is, with bus duct next to it. OOPS!
Posted By: kale Re: Lights Hung from Bus Duct - 07/13/05 11:39 PM
How are these fixtures fed? Wouldn't the smart (easier) thing to do is mount them on the wall?
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Lights Hung from Bus Duct - 07/14/05 12:50 AM
Kale, Your guess is as good as mine. I also love the way the far light rests partly ATOP the bus duct (not the HVAC this time :-)).
I'll try to get another pic....this was obviously a place rife with incompetent management, and a maintenance department that used dumpsters as their "parts house."
Posted By: electure Re: Lights Hung from Bus Duct - 07/14/05 01:27 AM
Is that one down by the "familiar" looking sprinkler a 2x4 troffer with no lense?
Don't worry... [Linked Image] ...I'm sure they'll hang the other side independently of the bus duct as soon as someone throws some jack chain in the trash.
Posted By: George Corron Re: Lights Hung from Bus Duct - 07/14/05 10:50 AM
Water AND air cooled lighting....very efficient. Obviously, YOU guys just aren't used to forward thinking.....geeez guys, get with the program, it's the 21st century. [Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Lights Hung from Bus Duct - 07/15/05 12:41 AM
Here are a few more pics of this exceptionally shoddy lighting job. (Maybe this bus duct needs sprinklers after all!)

renosteinke

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Lights Hung from Bus Duct - 07/16/05 11:59 AM
John,
I'd have to agree with Kale here:
Wouldn't the smart (easier) thing to do is mount them on the wall?
I mean what is going to happen if the HVAC needs to be taken down?.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Lights Hung from Bus Duct - 07/16/05 01:13 PM
What gave me the willies is that there is no visible means of support for that twin-tube strip light. I'm afraid to open it, and find someone mounted it with self-drilling screws- right where the PoCo feed comes in through the wall!
Posted By: BigJohn Re: Lights Hung from Bus Duct - 07/20/05 12:14 AM
I'm afraid to open it, and find someone mounted it with self-drilling screws....
I'm reminded of the picture (somewhere on here I think) of a mineralack strap screwed into the primary side of a distribution transformer... [Linked Image]

-John

[This message has been edited by BigJohn (edited 07-19-2005).]
© ECN Electrical Forums