ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Is This a Health Hazard?? - 05/11/05 03:01 AM
Question:

Is there a health hazard associated with these lenses that has been the graveyard for all of these mosquitoes? What if the electrician had to replace the lamps?

Joe Tedesco
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hemingray Re: Is This a Health Hazard?? - 05/11/05 03:30 AM
I've seen much worse than THAT before, luckily i wasn;t the one that had to change the bulb in it...
Posted By: pauluk Re: Is This a Health Hazard?? - 05/11/05 11:18 AM
Do you think the potential hazard could depend upon which region this is in?

In the relatively cool climate of the U.K., for example, it may be unpleasant to have to work with this, but the bugs are probably not that great a threat to health. In hotter regions where they carry more varied bacteria, it may be a different story.
Posted By: rad74ss Re: Is This a Health Hazard?? - 05/11/05 05:36 PM
I once had to replace half a dozen 277V flourescent lights on the bottom of a mezzanine. The problem was that the top floor was where all the bathrooms were. (Some would say a "crappy" idea.)

We were renovating the whole building which had been abandoned for a decade. The plumbing had leaked sewage into the service space in the concrete floor under the bathrooms which then drained through the conduit into the lighting fixtures.

I put on enough gear to go through NBC/CBR training all over again. The lights were replaced, the plumbing fixed and the cinder blocks were all drilled at ground level to drain the sewage out of there. We then had professionals come in and slap an ozone tent on it to kill whatever was left.

That was the beginning of what became the most terrifying 6 months in my electrical career.

Robert
Posted By: electure Re: Is This a Health Hazard?? - 05/11/05 10:04 PM
There's clearly a great health hazard if you're a mosquito [Linked Image]

This looks like a High-Pressure Sodium fixture to me. If so, I'd think the heat from the lamp and ballast would cook any "bugs" out of the bugs. They get very hot.

Rad: Yuck! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Is This a Health Hazard?? - 05/12/05 11:07 AM
Now there's a new twist on a "bug light".

Does the code cover "bonding" of those bugs anywhere?

Dnk.....
Posted By: iwire Re: Is This a Health Hazard?? - 05/12/05 02:09 PM
110.3(C) Luminaires (fixtures) and Insects. Insects shall not occupy any luminaire (fixture).

Exception Insects that are clean may occupy fixtures. Insects shall relieve themselves outside the Luminaire (fixture)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: chipmunk Re: Is This a Health Hazard?? - 05/12/05 02:53 PM
They look dry, so probably not much of a health hazard. It gets truly disgusting when the diffuser is also full of water, and you have 'warm bug soup'. I think *that* would be a health hazard. (It's always the fixtures you have to open from the top of a ladder too)
Posted By: e57 Re: Is This a Health Hazard?? - 05/15/05 04:06 PM
If they were live bees or hornets... Not with a ten foot stick!
© ECN Electrical Forums