ECN Forum
Posted By: Ryan_J OT: Water culvert failure - 04/28/05 10:18 PM
These are a couple of pictures my brother sent me. He works for the Montana Department of Transporation.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: OT: Water culvert failure - 04/28/05 10:22 PM
WOW that is pretty good mess and that pipe is so huge you can run pick up truck inside that pipe and i know it will take quite a while to get it clean up the mess there.

that just happend right after hevey rain storm or what ??

Merci , Marc
Posted By: Big Jim Re: OT: Water culvert failure - 04/29/05 06:46 AM
Clue us in. Was it a flood, an overweight truck, or something else?
Posted By: Trumpy Re: OT: Water culvert failure - 04/29/05 08:00 AM
Ryan,
Cool pics!. [Linked Image]
My best guess (read: stab in the dark with sunglasses on) would be that the Corrugated Steel that makes up the culvert lining, collapsed under the wieght of the road above.
After all, you'd think there would at least be one or two supports underneath it.
Posted By: walrus Re: OT: Water culvert failure - 04/29/05 11:09 AM
Is it a water culvert or a way for farm animals to cross from one pasture to another without crossing on the road?
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: OT: Water culvert failure - 04/29/05 01:04 PM
This is the E-mail my brother sent me along with the pics.
Check out the attached pictures of a failed culvert (a.k.a. stockpass and/or tractor pass) out near Glendive along I-94, it failed in the driving lane of the westbound side about a week ago. It was somewhat corroded and just collapsed in.

Luckily, a tow truck driver saw it and was smart enought to turn on his lights and stop traffic so no one would drive into the hole.

I think Walrus is right, it must be an animal/equipment crossing thing. (I'm a city dweller, I don't know! [Linked Image] )
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: OT: Water culvert failure - 04/30/05 02:43 AM
It's tough to be sure from the photo angles, but it looks like there was not enough earth between the pipe and the roadway for the weight to spread out around the pipe.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: OT: Water culvert failure - 04/30/05 11:50 PM
Now that walrus mentions it, that's what this thing is for.
We have them over here, they are called stock underpasses.
Good thing that this happened during daylight hours, at night with no adjacent street-lighting could have made things a different story. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums