ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Good Work/Bad Work - 04/13/05 03:19 AM
These are photos of a recent job. The work in the distribution panel is neat, but I don't think he understood derating, or closing up work before leaving at the end of the day. The homeowners had lived with it like this for 18 months. The worst part was that there was no power to the 120-volt smoke alarms.

Dave55
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Admin Re: Good Work/Bad Work - 04/13/05 03:20 AM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: e57 Re: Good Work/Bad Work - 04/13/05 06:34 AM
OK what is going on in pic #12?
Posted By: bentruler Re: Good Work/Bad Work - 04/13/05 06:57 AM
Inside of a cabinet?
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Good Work/Bad Work - 04/13/05 09:24 PM
Picture #12 is of the inside of a bathroom linen cabinet. The homeowner wanted an outlet and switch outside the cabinet, so he strung the wire into the cabinet, and left it...LIVE.

Dave
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Good Work/Bad Work - 04/15/05 05:41 PM
Well, what do you want? They put on wire nuts! [Linked Image]
Posted By: mxslick Re: Good Work/Bad Work - 04/15/05 07:45 PM
A mind-boggling mix of hack and professional....

Is it possible that the EC was a pro with really bad helpers? The hack box mounting (pics 7, 9), etc. would seem to imply that...

In any event, a good EC would check all work done by his crew before energizing, I would hope.
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Good Work/Bad Work - 04/15/05 11:54 PM
Looks like McHenry Co. On the border of using pipe and that other stuff.

Why did they run the ground with the service conductors? Is it becuse it has a outside disco? I can't tell if it has the green screw in it.

What is with the colors Blue then red?

I hate when people use bracket boxes on a surface mount.

Pic 11 you found an outlet upside down. Must not have been a permit job?

Tom
Posted By: trollog Re: Good Work/Bad Work - 04/16/05 01:33 AM
So did he get 3/4 paycheck for 3/4 job? The panels are neat but those wires into the breakers seem a tad short.
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Good Work/Bad Work - 04/17/05 08:45 PM
Dave,

I see you are in the Chicago area aka Conduit Land. I thought romex was forbidden in your area, but it looks like there is some in pics 3,4, 9 and 10. [Linked Image]

What's the deal?

Peter
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Good Work/Bad Work - 04/17/05 10:23 PM
Tom nailed this one, Peter. NM is allowed in the county, but EMT is required in almost all the cities. This customer wanted to get rid of the NM where possible.

It looks like it could be an ongoing project for me. Next on the list are the non-GFCI outlets, a door chime, and a master CATV system.

Dave
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Good Work/Bad Work - 04/18/05 12:18 AM
Thanks Dave, now it makes sense. [Linked Image]

I agree with the others, there is some pretty crummy workmanship there.

We don't use the bracket boxes with 1/2 KO's here very often, but I would never think to surface mount one like that. It looks totally hack.

And in that last pic, is that 2 white wires feeding that light? [Linked Image] At least with the pipe, it's easy to fix.

Peter
© ECN Electrical Forums