ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Traffic Signal Wiring - 01/15/05 11:46 PM
Here are some pictures taken at a street corner I pass daily for a job I am working at the moment. I have no idea what voltage traffic control lights run at, but this certainly didn't look safe. Strange too because it is right on the border of Faribanks Ranch and Rancho Santa Fe, Ca. - the zipcode with the highest average income in the USA.. guess people there have got more money than sense...

- Ryan S.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Traffic Signal Wiring - 01/16/05 07:05 AM
Never seen a Temp. Signal in such terrible shape! [Linked Image]

Looks like it has been in commission for 3 straight years at this location, and in this time period, a few Trucks may have "Altered" the Signal Heads' orientation
(plus removed a few misc. parts here and there - Visors being the most easilly moved items!).

Scott35
Posted By: mxslick Re: Traffic Signal Wiring - 01/16/05 08:45 PM
Is that city nuts!?! I don't know about the walk buttons, but I believe the signal heads are all at 120vac!

I see a huge lawsuit looming if anyone gets bit by that mess!!
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Traffic Signal Wiring - 01/17/05 01:12 PM
What a mess!. [Linked Image]
Hey Scott, are those LED heads on the traffic lights?.
With all them missing covers, I'd hate to be near this lot during a decent rain-storm.
Is it some sort of optical illusion, Ryan, or are them push-buttons down pretty close to ground level?.(like within about a foot of the ground)
How does a blind person find switches when they are installed like this?.
I'm feelin' someone needs a good kickin' for equipment having such a poor standard of repair.
GRRR
Posted By: trollog Re: Traffic Signal Wiring - 01/18/05 02:25 AM
Sad thing is those are not temp lights, they have been standing at that intersection for at least 18 years. The buttons are about 3 1/2 feet off the ground, if they appear lower it is an optical illusion
Posted By: trollog Re: Traffic Signal Wiring - 01/18/05 02:28 AM
sadder still, the parking lots for the nearby polo fields serve as overflow parking for the Del Mar Fair. Around late June and early July the place is loaded with pedestrians and car traffic using this intersection to get to the fairgrounds. We'll see how long it takes for the city to fix this mess....
Posted By: cpalm1 Re: Traffic Signal Wiring - 01/18/05 03:11 AM
Push button for walk signal ?

more like "touch button for death"
Posted By: kiwi Re: Traffic Signal Wiring - 01/19/05 08:52 AM
that's gotta be low votage at those buttons, doesn't it? ? ? Otherwise someone would have been fried by now right ? ?
Is that a transformer in the second pic in the left hand enclosure. It's got a flexi-conduit running out of it in the down direction (nothing else on the pole appears to run down to the buttons).
You should lodge complaint with whoever is in charge of fixing these.
Posted By: classicsat Re: Traffic Signal Wiring - 01/19/05 08:28 PM
By the looks of it, the flex goes to the box we see the back of in the first pic (with PVC going to the top of the pole.

I believe it is simply some sort of junction block in the left hand box in the second photo.
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Traffic Signal Wiring - 04/09/05 02:38 PM
Traffic Signals run at standard 120VAC and the controllers have 120VAC (usually 30 or 60Amp service feeds. As for that wiring, I belong to a forum about those, and I've seen worse! BTW: Trumpy, those LED modules are very water tight, and the shield things are called "visors." Would
Ryan S. mind if I copy this image over to the Signalfan Club to show them?
Ian A.

[This message has been edited by Theelectrikid (edited 04-14-2005).]
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Traffic Signal Wiring - 04/23/05 12:49 PM
Kiwi: That's not a transformer, that's a terminal block, and even if those buttons were 120VAC, you'd only get fried if it shorted out, since they're usually insulated.
Posted By: rather_large_ben Re: Traffic Signal Wiring - 04/23/05 04:52 PM
I believe the PPB (ped push button) are not hot. The blue wires get shorted to neutral to give a call to the controller.
Posted By: rather_large_ben Re: Traffic Signal Wiring - 04/23/05 05:01 PM
Theelectrikid- Can I ask what is the forum that deals with traffic signal wiring? Thanks, Ben
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Traffic Signal Wiring - 04/24/05 08:14 PM
Signalfan's Club on MSN Groups.
Ian
Posted By: trollog Re: Traffic Signal Wiring - 04/26/05 05:20 AM
feel free to copy away, three..

Ryan
© ECN Electrical Forums