ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Working Space Violation? - 01/10/05 03:13 AM
Had a service call where customer couldn't make lights work, even though they insisted that they had checked all the breakers.

I found an additional panel located directly behind the customers' own desk, concealed by a painting.

Would you consider the painting to violate working space requirements? What about other methods we've seen people use to hide/camoflage the ugly panel?

- John Steinke
[Linked Image]
Posted By: kd Re: Working Space Violation? - 01/10/05 09:25 AM
The painting is a good idea assuming it is removable. A painting of Benjamin Franklin would be even better.
Posted By: Gloria Re: Working Space Violation? - 01/10/05 03:44 PM
As I remember, that should be a safe box. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Working Space Violation? - 01/11/05 12:05 AM
Yes John, I would consider it a work space violation.
Not only that, it's a pretty nasty sort of a trick to go hiding panels like that.
Oh well, your customer paid for that lapse of memory!. [Linked Image]
Mind you, driving nails into a wall above a panel, isn't exactly my idea of a great party trick.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Working Space Violation? - 01/11/05 12:37 AM
Only if you are climbing behid the painting to work on the panel.
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Working Space Violation? - 01/11/05 01:09 AM
I would consider this not readily accessible.

When you cannot see the workspace, is it a violation of workspace?

Sort of like, does a tree that falls in the forest make any noise?
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Pierre
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Working Space Violation? - 01/11/05 03:20 AM
I've hidden a panel behind a picture myself. As for the hook, I used a magnetic backed piece of metal with a prong bent out to hang the picture on. Magnetically stuck to the steel panel cover. The botton of the panel does extend an inch or so below the bottom of the picture. No nail to find a wire with, and I can easily remove the magnetic hook before the electrician comes [Linked Image] Just hope nobody decides to loosen the panel cover screws and slip the picture hanging wire over and behind the cover....

At least the desk wasn't up against the wall; all you had in the way was a chair on wheels.

[This message has been edited by wa2ise (edited 01-10-2005).]
© ECN Electrical Forums