ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin GFCI Needed Here? - 12/29/04 01:35 AM
Bathroom convenience receptacles must be gfi-protected. Water heaters typically are not.

For the sake of discussion, would you REQUIRE the water heater receptacle pictured to be gfi protected? It is well below the sink, and there is another receptacle adjacent to the sink.

Would your opinion be affected if the WH receptacle was inside a cabinet?

- John Steinke
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: GFCI Needed Here? - 12/29/04 01:51 AM
Yes John,
I would require that a GFCI was put on any outlet in a bathroom, regardless of wether it was in a cupboard or not. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: GFCI Needed Here? - 12/29/04 02:14 AM
NEC says "All" bathroom receptacles.
Posted By: necbuff Re: GFCI Needed Here? - 12/29/04 05:09 AM
GFCI for me too John.
Posted By: safetygem Re: GFCI Needed Here? - 12/29/04 01:03 PM
I'm with everyone else here, the NEC says if the receptacle is in a bathroom, it "shall" be protected by a GFCI.

Although there probably isn't one... I would look for an alternative location for that WH.
Posted By: Steve Miller Re: GFCI Needed Here? - 12/29/04 01:36 PM
GFCI. There is no exception for a dedicated receptacle for a specific use item in bathrooms (like there is in garages for that extra freezer).
Posted By: electure Re: GFCI Needed Here? - 12/29/04 11:01 PM
Is it OK to cord and plug connect a water heater?
Posted By: DougW Re: GFCI Needed Here? - 12/29/04 11:23 PM
If it was in a cabinet....

AND a single outlet receptacle (like the exceptions listed in the Code)

Then maybe.

The way it is now (accessible & duplex)?

Not a chance.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: GFCI Needed Here? - 12/30/04 01:40 AM
"Cal-rod" metal-sheathed heaters and GFCIs can be a troublesome combination. Replacement of the cord and lower receptacle with fixed wiring might make better sense.
Posted By: HighPotter Re: GFCI Needed Here? - 12/30/04 01:51 AM
" Should" be wired.....

Recessed single gang box, single gang, water proof extension box with sealtite, strapped and connected directly to Water Heater.

No GFCI
Posted By: electure Re: GFCI Needed Here? - 12/30/04 11:15 PM
Welcome, Hi-Potter,
Yes that makes a very nice (a little expensive)installation, but you'd better put a switch in that W/P Extension Adapter.

Unless the wH came with the cord, I don't think that it can be connected this way.
All bathroom recps require GFCI protection, but no receptacles are required at all in this bathroom.

On another note: That water heater and the added plumbing under the sink sure make it ADA ngerous place for any one in a wheelchair. [Linked Image]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: GFCI Needed Here? - 12/31/04 01:16 AM
Aren't water heaters normally mounted on the wall, high above the sink?
Posted By: HighPotter Re: GFCI Needed Here? - 12/31/04 01:28 AM
"Yes that makes a very nice (a little expensive)installation, but you'd better put a switch in that W/P Extension Adapter"

In a public place, ( such as this looks like)...I don't see any other way to install this. I'd wire this just like it was a "insta-hot" unit, which are almost always located directly under the sinks.

GFI or no GFI...I would never cord and plug this installation. How do you tamper proof a corded unit?

In regards to the "switch"....I've always treated these types of units similar to restroom hand dryers. If you have to service those, you'd be tagging them out at the panel. ( since you can not install a switch)

But as usual, I could be wrong regarding all of this...

Regards

HP
Posted By: NORCAL Re: GFCI Needed Here? - 12/31/04 06:34 AM
What do you think that waterheater will look like in a few years,with the soap and water being dripped on it?
Posted By: sgreany Re: GFCI Needed Here? - 01/08/05 02:32 PM
not a freindly place if you are drunk and have bad aim
Posted By: Trumpy Re: GFCI Needed Here? - 01/08/05 02:45 PM
Electure,
On another note: That water heater and the added plumbing under the sink sure make it ADA ngerous place for any one in a wheelchair.
I thought you must have made a typo there, but on closer scrutiny...... Ahaa!!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: IanR Re: GFCI Needed Here? - 01/10/05 05:32 PM
These water heaters do in fact come with a cord attached. There was one installed at a former employer of mine and it came with the cord on it. While I don't know if it violates code at least it was plugged in to a GFCI outlet. Still kinda scared me though.
Ian
© ECN Electrical Forums