ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Cable Guys and the NEC - 12/27/04 09:46 PM
These photos are of a cable TV install in an apartment complex. The careful eye will note that the support strap is about to pop out, the coupling screws are not tightened down, and there is no connector where the 2" EMT enters the box.

More reasons why I laugh when other trades claim that they follow the NEC.

- John Steinke
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CharlieE Re: Cable Guys and the NEC - 12/27/04 10:26 PM
What section of Article 820 is violated? [Linked Image]
Posted By: e57 Re: Cable Guys and the NEC - 12/28/04 02:22 AM
It seems very "catch all", but I'd say 820.3C "Installation and Use. Section 110.3 shall apply."

"110.3B Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling."

They entered chapter 3 with the use of EMT, and related fittings with thier listings and uses.

And if there is VoIP +/or cable powered telephones in use on the CATV lines, it falls into 800.48 "Where communications wire and cables are installed in a raceway, the raceway shall be either of a type permitted in Chapter 3 and installed in accordance with Chapter 3 or a listed nonmetallic raceway complying with 800.51(J), (K), or (L), as applicable, and installed in accordance with 362.24 through 362.56, where the requirements applicable to electrical nonmetallic tubing apply."

Our inspectors would just mumble "Chapter 3" and walk off. They cut a little less slack for the cabling guys every time they show up to see things like this.
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Cable Guys and the NEC - 12/28/04 02:26 AM
I believe that Charlie was making the point that "other trades" seem to only concern themselves with that specific part of the code that focuses on their craft.
Posted By: CharlieE Re: Cable Guys and the NEC - 12/28/04 02:59 AM
Thanks John. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy
© ECN Electrical Forums