ECN Forum
Posted By: iwire They Make a Fitting For This. - 10/10/04 08:22 PM
People work very hard to do things the wrong way.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 10-10-2004).]
Posted By: Dave55 Re: They Make a Fitting For This. - 10/10/04 08:40 PM
Do they really make a fitting to connect wiremold to a 1/2" knockout? Seems like I've run into this dilema before. I also feel like wiremold is inadequate for grounding and not enough space for the wires (especially in the bends). I avoid it wherever possibe, which is almost always.

Dave
Posted By: iwire Re: They Make a Fitting For This. - 10/10/04 08:54 PM
This is not exactly Wiremold, this is Plugmold and it has a copper grounding conductor. [Linked Image]

You can get any fitting you want for this.

http://www.wiremold.com/shared_content/pdf/ed1025.pdf

I agree that Wiremold 200, 500, 700 etc. is a questionable grounding conductor. I have not used those sizes in a long time but they do have their use and I would pull a grounding conductor.

We presently install a lot of G3000 or G4000 wiremold. This is big stuff that holds full size devices and can have a partition installed to separate power and data.

It is often specified in computer rooms, labs etc around the perimeter walls. [Linked Image]
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: They Make a Fitting For This. - 10/10/04 08:59 PM
You are right about how hard this must have been, how does one cut a box like that anyway?

I wonder, how did they mount this box? [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Pierre
Posted By: iwire Re: They Make a Fitting For This. - 10/10/04 09:37 PM
I wonder, how did they mount this box?

I will show you, [Linked Image] you can also see the sheet metal screw used for the EGC.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: big guy Re: They Make a Fitting For This. - 10/11/04 12:53 AM
that make's you wonder
I am so glad that I don't do service work any more
Posted By: Trumpy Re: They Make a Fitting For This. - 10/11/04 12:55 AM
Bob, she's a beauty!. [Linked Image]
Gotta love that quality workmanship!.
Should't that box be inside the wall?.
Posted By: electure Re: They Make a Fitting For This. - 10/11/04 12:04 PM
The fitting most commonly used for this is the 2010 entrance end fitting.

It appears that this was a piece of used plugmold which was installed earlier with a feed coming into the back (see the KO in the bottom pic).
Any new plugmold I've seen in about the last 15 or 20 years has a grounding conductor put in by the manufacturer. Previously, there were only little prongs on the back of the receptacles to contact the base. I don't see an EGC in this one.

Man, this was one sick puppy that took the time to hack out that box...after all, plugmold is tough enough stuff to work with even using factory supplied parts!

Oh, there I see the ground...oops...S

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 10-11-2004).]
Posted By: mamills Re: They Make a Fitting For This. - 10/11/04 01:44 PM
Pierre:
I've seen that kind of "craftsmanship" before. You use a pair of vice-grip pliers to nibble the appropriate size hole [Linked Image].

Someone went to a lot of trouble to re-invent the wheel on this one.

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: They Make a Fitting For This. - 10/11/04 08:19 PM
It was good of them to cap off the equipment ground. You don't want that making contact with anything! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: iwire Re: They Make a Fitting For This. - 10/11/04 08:36 PM
I am just surprised that nobody commented on the piece of wall that came with this when I ripped it of the wall. [Linked Image]
Posted By: mamills Re: They Make a Fitting For This. - 10/11/04 09:00 PM
Iwire:
I noticed it...I just wrote it up as a fit of anger [Linked Image]!!! What's that other thing sticking out of the back of the box (besides the romex/clamp)?

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: They Make a Fitting For This. - 10/11/04 10:41 PM
I have used those 'zipits' many times before, and really like them compared to togglebolts. I especially like the 'washers' they used. [Linked Image] !!
© ECN Electrical Forums