Posted By: Admin Another Day at the Office - 09/17/04 05:17 PM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Another Day at the Office

- Dave55
Posted By: electure Re: Another Day at the Office - 09/18/04 01:29 AM
Gee, Dave,
I'm sure glad it's not my office that looks like that [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: mamills Re: Another Day at the Office - 09/18/04 02:23 AM
It's kinda interesting to see three generations of services here - past, present, and future.

The SqD fusible panel doesn't look too bad, except for being obsolete. Are you leaving the can in place as a J-box to the new panel, or is a complete rewiring in order?

Mike (mamills)

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 09-17-2004).]
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Another Day at the Office - 09/18/04 02:47 AM
All of the old will be removed on this one, Mike. The original fusebox is one of the best I've ever seen, except that the snap-in of the 240 volt fuseholders are weak. The small sub-panel is wired in from lugs on the main at 100 amps, another very nice feature.

Dave
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Another Day at the Office - 09/18/04 05:59 PM
Those 1/2-1" eccentrics on the bottom of the meter allwys want to break out to a 3/4 when your putting the 1/2 ground pipe in. I gave up and just use reducing washers from the start.

Tom
Posted By: chi spark Re: Another Day at the Office - 09/20/04 12:51 PM
Would that water spigot stay there?
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Another Day at the Office - 09/20/04 05:54 PM
I'll mention that to the homeowner, chi spark. It may stay though, there's a hose reel, so they'll only be conecting and disconnecting the hose a couple times a year.

Dave
Posted By: lil suzi Re: Another Day at the Office - 09/26/04 02:20 PM
Uh....did all of this actually pass inspection, or did they even get one? Yikes!
Posted By: Admin Re: Another Day at the Office - 09/27/04 12:30 AM
more from Dave55:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Another Day at the Office - 09/29/04 05:51 PM
This did pass inspection, but it looked better than the first three pictures when I finished.

It was a timely upgrade. The lower main lug on the fusebox spun rather than unscrewing (fourth picture).

The fifth picture shows a little creativity in metal-work by a previous electrician, and the sixth picture was my lesson that you can't bash a plastic part in the middle with lineman pliers to remove the knock-outs.

Dave
Posted By: mamills Re: Another Day at the Office - 09/29/04 07:59 PM
Dave: It looks like it was indeed time for an upgrade [Linked Image]. Will you post some pics when the job is finished?

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Another Day at the Office - 10/06/04 03:30 AM
No after pictures on this one. I may post some after pictures on the Residential Upgrade thread if you promise to be nice.

I forgot to point out that the support cable of the service lines had pulled off the house (25 years ago according to the homeowner). About 40 feet of overhead lines were pulling on the neutral. My first order of business was to rope the lines to the house, which you can see in the 2nd picture.

Dave
© ECN Electrical Forums