ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Arcing Crouse Hinds Panel - 08/12/04 01:52 AM
Got a call to a loss of kitchen counter power & encountered this beautiful early 80's edition of the Crouse Hinds overcurrent protection equiptment.... As typical, the contacts on one of the breakers had, as Electure terms it, "Zinsco-itis... or pitting of the busbar... the really nice part was when I pulled the breaker from the panel, the bus came with it! [Linked Image] But alas, the panel was fully de-energized (Thankfully!) One subpanel change, coming up! [Linked Image]

-Randy
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: e57 Re: Arcing Crouse Hinds Panel - 08/12/04 02:01 AM
Don't know your own strength huh?
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Arcing Crouse Hinds Panel - 08/12/04 07:23 AM
Zinsco-itis? That is a new one, but that affliction seem to affect any AL bussed panel BTW, I pulled a Zinsco W/ CU buss bars this weekend during "the service change from hell". [Linked Image]
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Arcing Crouse Hinds Panel - 08/12/04 03:12 PM
LOL Mark... Not on this day, wayyy long day before I even got to this!
Rollie, The bus has oxidation on it, most wisible in the 2nd pic... I've found this specific design of breaker (where the breaker attaches to the busbar with that little tiny loop of a contact) to fail nearly as much as Zinsco & their contacts.... At least they tend to fail-safe when they fail though.... I've replaced many Crouse-Hinds 100A main breakers that tripped & just didnt want to reset!

-Randy
© ECN Electrical Forums