ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin High Switch - Is this a Violation? - 08/10/04 07:21 PM
How many violations are there with this installation? The Disconnect switch is 9 feet above the floor and a PVC pipe is connected to the handle.
Thanks

Juan1020
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: iwire Re: High Switch - Is this a Violation? - 08/10/04 08:04 PM
I am not sure there is a violation, exception 3 to 404.8 could cover this. [Linked Image]

404.8 Accessibility and Grouping.
(A) Location.
All switches and circuit breakers used as switches shall be located so that they may be operated from a readily accessible place. They shall be installed so that the center of the grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position, is not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.) above the floor or working platform.

Exception No. 3: Hookstick operable isolating switches shall be permitted at greater heights.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 08-10-2004).]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: High Switch - Is this a Violation? - 08/10/04 09:47 PM
240.24(A)(4) appears to have been met as well..., also, 404.8(A) exception 2 may have been met.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: High Switch - Is this a Violation? - 08/10/04 11:43 PM
Someone seems to have taken liberties with NEC Articles 362, 364, 374 and 380. Can’t imagine how receptacle overcurrent protection is handled.
Posted By: electure Re: High Switch - Is this a Violation? - 08/11/04 12:41 PM
It would seem to me a stretch of the imagination to consider this a "hookstick operable" switch.

I've always had trouble understanding/interpreting the situation of disconnects. We've got many accounts of discos mounted even above suspended ceilings here on the Forum.

Good Subject!!...S
Posted By: Bjarney Re: High Switch - Is this a Violation? - 08/11/04 02:45 PM
Does it matter if there are fuses in the switch?
Posted By: iwire Re: High Switch - Is this a Violation? - 08/11/04 08:49 PM
I am still not sure of the answer myself.

From the handbook
[Linked Image]

Article 100
Switch, Isolating. A switch intended for isolating an electric circuit from the source of power. It has no interrupting rating, and it is intended to be operated only after the circuit has been opened by some other means.

I will assume the switch in the picture controls something that would be considered an appliance.

III. Disconnecting Means
422.30 General.
A means shall be provided to disconnect each appliance from all ungrounded conductors in accordance with the following sections of Part III. If an appliance is supplied by more than one source, the disconnecting means shall be grouped and identified.

Article 100
Disconnecting Means. A device, or group of devices, or other means by which the conductors of a circuit can be disconnected from their source of supply.

I can not find a requirement that the disconnect for an appliance must be able to break the circuit with a load.

430.110 seems to require a disconnect for a motor rated to break with a load.

???????

Bob
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: High Switch - Is this a Violation? - 08/13/04 09:55 AM
It looks as though the feed to the disconnect is through the trough. I am not too sure I am loving the support either. Maybe there is some other means of overcurrent for the other conductors in the trough that are feeding the receptacles, and the disconnect is feeding the equipment right below it?

Pierre
© ECN Electrical Forums