Scott,
Is that the older version of the Klein Bottle Opener? [Linked Image]

-Randy
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Odd tools - 07/06/04 03:51 AM
Fascinating.

Do I need one of these?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: e57 Re: Odd tools - 07/06/04 05:23 AM
I used to have an adjustable nut driver, until it was stolen, with the rest of my tools. It was wierd, never saw another one... This picture you've got.... I don't know.

I willing to guess, that it is used to remove / install helical grips, or wind western union style taps and splices?

What is it?
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Odd tools - 07/06/04 02:35 PM
Horseshoe puller?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Odd tools - 07/06/04 02:50 PM
How about a Hint ??

hmmm
Bill
Posted By: mamills Re: Odd tools - 07/06/04 03:11 PM
Knockout Remover? [Linked Image] Or perhaps a defensive weapon against the drywallers...? [Linked Image]

Looks like a good candidate for the "What is it" segment on a "Ask This Old House" TV series. [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Odd tools - 07/06/04 03:34 PM
Knockout Remover?
Mike,

That would be my guess.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Odd tools - 07/06/04 10:03 PM
Finally! A flourescent tube bender. I have got to get one!
Posted By: electure Re: Odd tools - 07/06/04 11:25 PM
The other side has convolutions.
Posted By: sparkystudent Re: Odd tools - 07/06/04 11:33 PM
im guessing its for cutting emt or flex or the like with a hacksaw when a bench or vise isnt close at hand....? whats my prize? or whats the penalty, never seen or heard of one before,just looks feasible!
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Odd tools - 07/06/04 11:56 PM
Some type of fuse puller, or a tool to install/remove the tension springs from 'jaws'????

Close but no cigar?????

John
Posted By: aland Re: Odd tools - 07/07/04 12:23 AM
Looks like something out of an underground jointers kit may be!!!Very early Eddison
Posted By: Sir Arcsalot Re: Odd tools - 07/07/04 01:56 AM
OK, here's my guess-

Maybe it's a tie wire wrapper for knob-and-tube wiring; it looks like a porcelain knob would fit in the "U" portion. Then again, actually using this to do a complete tie-wire wrap may be a physical impossibility...

This one's really got my head a'scratchin'!
Posted By: JCooper Re: Odd tools - 07/07/04 03:56 AM
I think Scott is messing with us and it is actually an old table leg...
Posted By: ShOcKeR Re: Odd tools - 07/07/04 05:55 AM
Its a torture device for homeowners that do their own electrical work and handymen. [Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Odd tools - 07/07/04 12:40 PM
sparkystudent is right.

[Linked Image]

Los Angeles used to allow up to 100' of aluminum flex to serve as an equipment grounding conductor if it was cut with one of these.

I haven't used it since the early '80s.
It doesn't work worth a darn... [Linked Image] [Linked Image] S
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Odd tools - 07/07/04 01:19 PM
I'll be darned. Never would have guessed that. And I've been using the Benfield Saw Box for over 20 years. . . [Linked Image from benfielddirect.com]
Were the two little hooks a way of sturdying the tool and flex while cutting?
Posted By: electech Re: Odd tools - 07/07/04 04:42 PM
E57, I just typed in "adjustable nut driver" at www.ebay.com

There is one for sale right now. (I'm not gonna bid, just wanted to know what one looked like. The pic doesn't show it very well)
Posted By: electure Re: Odd tools - 07/08/04 11:43 AM
Al,
See! You've already got one.
As far as I can tell, the little hooks are there just to make it harder to put the hacksaw in...S
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Odd tools - 07/08/04 08:58 PM
[Linked Image] LOL [Linked Image]
Posted By: DougW Re: Odd tools - 07/11/04 02:14 PM
Had an old "multi-size" wrench I kept in my pouch. It was steel, about 6" OAL with a "skeletonized" handle, the jaws were smooth on one side, serrated on the other, and they fit various nuts from about 1/4" to 3/4". Had just found another that went from 1/2" to 1" before my stuff got ripped.

They were handy for holding connectors, tightening wire nuts and such.
Posted By: e57 Re: Odd tools - 07/12/04 01:39 AM
Yeah the adjustable nut driver.... Man, I miss it, I,m tempted to snag the one that was on e-bay. But promissed myself not to buy any more tools this year. I don't need it, it was a luxury item. It had three cams in it that closed on any size nut. Real handy for ballast changes where all the nuts were different sizes.

As far as getting tools stolen, there's nothing worse. I pity the fool, I ever find with one of my tools in his hand.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Odd tools - 07/12/04 01:54 AM
Anybody here begin their careers using one of these? [Linked Image from electricalmatters.com]
Posted By: DetroiterRob Re: Odd tools - 07/12/04 10:47 AM
Hey i used those things in highschool just a year or two ago.......

Rob
Posted By: pauluk Re: Odd tools - 07/12/04 09:13 PM
Ryan,
I still have one of those in my toolkit, and still use it sometimes. Used with a large auger bit it's still a good way to bore a hole where you want careful control.
Posted By: electure Re: Odd tools - 07/13/04 12:20 AM

The pic of the bit and brace got me thinking about what I did start in the trade with. Pre cordless battery drill days I used these two Stanley Yankee drivers. Just needed 8 hours of sleep to recharge the "batteries".
Kentvw

[Linked Image]
Posted By: e57 Re: Odd tools - 07/13/04 02:34 AM
They make a better version of the Yankee these days... Shorter, more compact, takes 1/4" hex bits.
Posted By: mvpmaintman Re: Odd tools - 07/17/04 01:29 PM
Yankee vs the Klein whirly driver
© ECN Electrical Forums