ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Rodents Vs. Romex, Among other things! - 06/16/04 02:47 AM
This troubleshoot took a little longer than most! Customer had some living room outlets that were dead.... checked all the boxes & found electrical anarchy everywhere I went! [Linked Image] yet didn't actually find the fault until I pulled out the tone tracer & lost signal above the fireplace mantle... opened the wall & found that mice or something chewed the romex & it had melted together! (& the breaker never tripped! [Linked Image] ) The rest of the stuff just needs to go!
The riser pic is another one where So Cal Edison attached to a plumbing vent after a tree fell & left their riser kinked & at a 45° angle! [Linked Image] in 1978!!!!

Enjoy!
Randy
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Admin Re: Rodents Vs. Romex, Among other things! - 06/16/04 02:48 AM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Admin Re: Rodents Vs. Romex, Among other things! - 06/16/04 02:49 AM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Rodents Vs. Romex, Among other things! - 06/16/04 03:19 AM
Good Grief Randy!,
I've seen some badly deteriorated wiring in my time, but that lot really takes the cake.
lost signal above the fireplace mantle... opened the wall
Opening the wall is a bit of an understatement, Randy!. [Linked Image]
That riser pic is a shocker, it's a woder the cables haven't faulted since.
And you'd think they could have at least come back and fixed things up.
I mean 26 years is a pretty poor turn-around for good service and customer relations.......
BTW, Randy, what is that small twin core wire in the pic, where your hole in the wall next to the fireplace is?.

{Message edited to add last question.}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 06-15-2004).]
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Rodents Vs. Romex, Among other things! - 06/16/04 04:34 AM
A plastic box with AC cable, that makes for good work. It looks as though whoever installed this knew there was no EGC and tried to alter this with an additional EGC. If this customer was/is an unsuspecting type, than it is a shame that this has existed this long. Unfortunately, it looks as though they may not have too much money and may have suffered through this for a while. They are very lucky to have the result be that Randy got there. It is good for us as well ...we get some good photos [Linked Image]

Pierre
Mike wrote:

Opening the wall is a bit of an understatement, Randy!

LOL Mike.. the wall was already soft from moisture seepage through cracks arounf the fireplace.. I pushed it a bit & it broke right through! [Linked Image] The twin core is for speakers..

Pierre, Im with you on this stuff being like this for wayyyyy to long! They don't seem to be poor financially, although the HO is on disability right now.. They've lived here since 1966 & the home is paid for.. I'm trying to talk home improvement loan with them to get everything corrected.. Im afraid of what else might be buried in those walls along with the obvious amateur work, so I'm kinda hinting rewire at them!

-Randy
Posted By: electure Re: Rodents Vs. Romex, Among other things! - 06/16/04 12:33 PM
Waddaya mean rewire, Randy? This place has already been rewired! [Linked Image]
Look, they even added extra insulation in the 4-0 box (9th pic) [Linked Image]
electure wrote:

Look, they even added extra insulation in the 4-0 box

LMAO Scott... You wouldn't want those wire to get too cold now would you! [Linked Image] It was only about 150°F in that attic when I took the pics! [Linked Image] You'd know, Pomona isn't known for cool summer temperatures! (This was walking distance from the LA County fairgrounds for all who're familiar with So California)...

-Randy
Let it burn. Yuck!
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Rodents Vs. Romex, Among other things! - 06/17/04 04:01 AM
I guess that's why NYC requires MC cable...rodents...
Posted By: SteveMc Re: Rodents Vs. Romex, Among other things! - 06/17/04 10:30 AM
I guess that's why NYC requires MC cable...rodents...

Using that assumption, shouldn't MC be required in all Lawyer's offices?
Posted By: electure Re: Rodents Vs. Romex, Among other things! - 06/17/04 12:02 PM
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Funny you should say that... I just got through running a dedicated circuit in a lawyers office in MC cable.... (Actually a collections attorney) Trying to run 8 laser printers @ 7.8A each & a 12A copier on the same circuit... He wanted a bigger breaker LOL.... It's amazing how someone can be a higher education graduate & then be completely clueless in other respects...

-Randy
Posted By: SteveMc Re: Rodents Vs. Romex, Among other things! - 06/17/04 08:15 PM
I've found that in this world there are smart people and there are educated people, but not all smart people are educated and not all educated people are smart.
Posted By: Admin Re: Rodents Vs. Romex, Among other things! - 06/17/04 09:57 PM
I took these in the attic of a doctor's office last fall. They got a dozen squirrels out of the attic. They seem to love to chew on plastic. The office is an older home that has been converted, notice the knob and tube remnants, disconnected but not removed.

SteveMc
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
In defense of the rodents that stuff is actually pretty tasty.
Posted By: nesparky Re: Rodents Vs. Romex, Among other things! - 06/18/04 04:22 AM
Randy
Tell the lawyer you have a special wired chair just for him Old Sparky from the prison [Linked Image]

Trumpy You don't understand the mast was a temporary repair. The permanant repair is in the work order system somewhere.

[This message has been edited by nesparky (edited 06-18-2004).]
Posted By: DougW Re: Rodents Vs. Romex, Among other things! - 06/18/04 04:54 AM
Love the visible signs of overheating...

And nesparky - I saw the hard copy of that work order... they'll be there next week... [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparked Re: Rodents Vs. Romex, Among other things! - 06/18/04 05:13 PM
I've heard rodents instinctually NEED to chew on things. How they chew on Romex without getting fried is anybodys guess... [Linked Image]
SteveMc: How is that whitish box supported, and what is it made of? I've never seen one that color before.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Rodents Vs. Romex, Among other things! - 06/20/04 04:47 AM
rying to run 8 laser printers @ 7.8A each & a 12A copier on the same circuit... He wanted a bigger breaker...

Sounds like a lawsuit to me!
Posted By: stamcon Re: Rodents Vs. Romex, Among other things! - 06/20/04 05:35 AM
Rodent's teeth never stop growing, well at least until they die. They keep gnawing to grind down them down.
© ECN Electrical Forums